WS-1001 data direct to WD?

Well, it is really very very easy to parse incoming HTTP requests sent by IP Observer using a socket, no need to scrap screen, no need to start any server.

The code will be like this one. I am doing in C# UWP application, but is easy to do it in any other language.

Start a listener with a socket on port 80:

StreamSocketListener listener = new StreamSocketListener();
            listener.ConnectionReceived += Listener_ConnectionReceived; ;
            listener.Control.KeepAlive = true;
           try
            {
                NotifyUser("Server Online");
                NotifyUser("Waiting messages on port " + port);
                await listener.BindServiceNameAsync(port);
            }
            catch (Exception exception)
            {
                NotifyUser("Fallo inicializando servidor: " + exception.Message);
            }

When receive a packet, htto request is only text. So read, parse parameters and return a correct OK response to de box.

async private void Listener_ConnectionReceived(StreamSocketListener sender, StreamSocketListenerConnectionReceivedEventArgs args)
        {
            NotifyUserFromAsyncThread("Conexi

---

![Captura de pantalla completa 20032017 180334.jpg|1002x855](upload://uDZViWMVDJLI6tMCmd2UxupoQkC.jpeg)

Well, first version of a “micro IP Observer listener”.
No scrapping, only waiting at programed port. Receive data sended by IP Observer, parse it and save to a file with the same “ws1001.json” file format. You can choose location.

In the IP Observer you have to select “custom” server, and program the IP of the computer when this program runs, and the port that you put on listening program. The listening port is also programable, defect is 85 to leave untouched HTTP port (80) if you have any web server or other program that uses that port (like Skype).

I can’t test it with WD because I am running it on a XP computer, and I have to rebuild it specially for XP. If anyone wants to test it, the program is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/az9vraga7xsfib9/IPObserverRecMFC.exe?dl=0

The program needs Visual Studio C++ libraries that could be downloaded from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=53587

UPDATE: Versi

I also have added ability into WD to act as a web server, i.e to listen for http direct IP connection
that ability is there as well
i.e the WiFi IP server->client
settings

in any case, if you could email me the file you have your software creating and set in WD to use (raw script data file)

I have updated the “compatible XP” version to generate also a Weather CSV file, but also seem doesn’t work.

I will try to use your server->client setting… If this work, much better not needing extra software.

Ruben

I am not sure that “WiFi IP server->client” are working… I have tried putting on IP the own IP or the client IP, but neither of both seem to work. I also don’t understant why specity a IP, as it will be a server, so the IP must be set on client… I have changed also Port to 85 that I am using currently.

I attach the files that I am currently generating, and also the “server program” source Project (Visual Studio 2017 C++ with MFC).

Ruben
PD: .txt extensi

IPObserverRecMFC.zip (144 KB)

ws1001.json.csv.txt (181 Bytes)

ws1001.json.txt (927 Bytes)

I see whats wrong
there must have been a slight change to the json format
an extra space
I have accounted for that now
use a new .zip update of WD, ready now

Now is working!

I am not sure I have to put the file location on “URL” TextBox, or on “Select raw script data file”, but in any case I have put the same on both and it works. I try to improve a little my program to allow change update time, because now I change program to receive each 15 seconds. The IP Observer sends me another packet when I close the socket, so it receive more than 1 message per second if I don’t limit it!. I will let user to choose this maximun receiving rate.

I also add some parameters that PHP program calculate (but I don’t know if WD needs it!).

If you add this direct receiving Support to the WD, let me and then this program won’t need anymore.

Thanks in advance.

Ruben
PD: I have realized that on “WD title” appear: “Stationless, VWS data.csv”… is this ok? It is taking csv file or json file? (my program is actually generating both)

re the station type across the top of WD
try this:
exit WD
then in the wdisplay.ini settings file
find
[Weather Station Type]

and delete that whole section

then run WD
then select the Wifi pro station
and then select the raw json file your program updates (and make sure its ticked to use the wunderground json format)

WD does have an option to listen on port 80
that is the setting to use direct usb connection
(believe it or not)
you could try ticking that setting in WD and see if that works (and not having to run your program (do the wdisplay.ini reset of the station type settings as above…as a test)

Thanks Brian, I will test all of this, this afternoon.

Meanwhile, a somewhat more refined version of the listening program with some visualization: http://kona2.alc.upv.es/IPObserverRecMFC.zip

Need Visual Studio 2015 redistributables on some machines and works also with XP
Redistributables are here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=53587

Ruben
PD: Maybe the format data that your program is waiting when listen to a port (80 or other) aren’t the same that IP Observer send…

the raw data that arrrives via the simple server listening function I already have in use on port 80 should show under view, debug info

Well, I have made the test…

• First erase full section [Weather Station Type]
  • Next test on Wifi pro station tab, selecting on WiFi IP server → client,
  • Set “enabled” checkbox, change port to 85 (I have this port on my station)
  • Put local IP (192.168.1.2)
  • View debug info… Nothing, nobody is connecting to this… tell TCP Conection to 192.168.1.2 (but this is not a server… client?)
  • Change IP to 192.168.1.6 (IP of Observer box).
  • View debug info… Same as before, nothing but tell Conection to 192.168.1.6.

Begin again:

• Erase full [Weather Station Type] section again
  • Tab “WiFi Pro station”
  • Check “Stationless”
  • Check on “WiFi Station” the checkbox “Ambient/Digitech/Aercus…”
  • Leave checked the “Wunderground format” checkbox that is already checked.
  • Click button “Select raw script data file” and select the file that my application IP Observer Receiver is creating.
  • Save - Close All.
  • Run my app.
  • And now is all correctly working (same as before, using my application is all working).
    The side effect is that after erasing the [Weather Station Type], the background of the WD is now black! instead of blue.

Ruben
PD1: You can add the IP Observer Receiver program to WD if you want for other people with this kind of stations.
PD2: I stay tunned if you include this functionality of receiving data directly from IP Observer.

I tested your program on a remote pc I have access to that has one of these stations, but the console version of the station
I had to install the run time libraries
it did not get any data
if I tried changing the port to 80 instead of 85 and clicked on the button next to that, the program closed

Oh!, the button is “Salir”, exit or close program. If you change port, have to restart the program to take effect.

In any case, have the console version also the possibility to change destination IP and port number? (I think that yes modifying the .ini of the console, isn’t it?)

Changing the port is desired, because port 80 maybe occupied by other programs like web server, Skype, etc.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 7 mediante Tapatalk

how do you exit the program to save the port to 80?
there is no windows close button
if i change it to port 80 and then use the exit button , which I thought was a set button, then it starts up with port 85 still

So is this a bug, the port number must be saved with the close button press. I will revise it tomorrow.

Can you change the destination port on server.ini of the console?

not currently as the usb to the console is not currently connected

Updated: Now I have test that closing program save port numbrer. Also translated “Salir” to “Close”.
http://kona2.alc.upv.es/IPObserverRecMFC.zip

You can test the program with any internet navigator. Simply past on URL the same petition that the Weather Station send to WUnderground:

http://computerIPwhereprogramruns:port(or nothing if is 80)/[i]dontcarethis?ID=IPOBSERVERREC&PASSWORD=IPOBSERVERREC&tempf=58.5&humidity=55&dewptf=42.4&windchillf=58.5&winddir=322&windspeedmph=1.12&windgustmph=2.46&rainin=0.00&dailyrainin=0.00&weeklyrainin=0.00&monthlyrainin=0.00&yearlyrainin=0.00&solarradiation=14.70&UV=0&indoortempf=70.7&indoorhumidity=46&baromin=27.48&lowbatt=0&dateutc=2017-3-21%2018:5:26&softwaretype=Weather%20logger%20V2.2.0&action=updateraw&realtime=1&rtfreq=5 HTTP/1.0

There are several things that could do that the above message doesn’t arrive to the program. I write it in the next post, I need some time to explain (local restrictions, firewall, port binded to other program…).

Ruben

There are several things that could do that the above message doesn’t arrive to the program:

• Local restrictions: Comunicating two aplications on same computer on Windows 10 by network loopack interface are normally restricted by security reasons. Unblocking the apps to allow comunication is not trivial. So if this happens (simply open web browser and put http://127.0.0.1:port/hello), is better to test from other computer on local network (or some mobile connected to same network through WiFi).

• Firewall. First time execute the program, normally Windows Firewall ask you to block or unblock the program. If you allow, it must be able to receive the packets. But if use other Firewall or block the communications, you have to go to the Firewall settings to allow the program.

• Port used by other application. Everey port only could be used by one app. When any server application “listen” to a port, no other program could listen too. I recomend to change the port 80 of the HTTP web connections, because this port is commonly used. It can be checked executing on a command prompt this: netstat -a -o. On second column (local address) appear a list of IP:PORT, and normally a “LISTEN” in the state column. If the port is here, it means that is used by the appliction whos PID is shown in last column. So you can check on Task Manager the application, and close it (I attach and image where can see that Skype is listening port 80). Web server is always listening this port.

I will wait for feedback!
I am sure that this method implementing a “simple web server” is useful to capture packets from any Weather Station that sends data directly to WU because it uses always the same protocol. The only restriction is that the Weather Station must allow to change the IP address where it sends the information that would be by default to rtupdate.weatherundergound… (or something like this).

Ruben

I got an error when trying to unzip (mismatch on central size or something)
can you re zip and re upload?

Try it again.
http://kona2.alc.upv.es/IPObserverRecMFC.zip

I have rezip and copied again, but I have tested before and it for me…

Ruben