"No READY or GFS model data found" Error

For the last two days I have been getting “No READY or GFS model data found” Errors.

I have not seen anyone else reporting this so is it something messed up on my end or are others getting this too?

Error.jpg

First, make sure that WXSIMATE is running, and that it is creating wdata.txt. Also, check to see if the GFS data is in there. It starts with lines something like

Fcast_hr,prmsl,apcp,tcdc,wspd,wdir,hgt1000,hgt500,tmp950,tmp925,tmp900,tmp850,tmp800,tmp750,tmp700,rh950,rh925,rh900,rh850,rh800,rh750,rh700,rh500,rh300
2016-04-18-12
+0,999.1,0.00,50.0,7.6,241.0,-11.4,5335.0,6.4,4.2,2.1,-2.0,-5.5,-8.6,-11.1,65.5,72.3,79.9,96.1,98.7,97.8,85.9,25.2,71.2

Assuming that’s OK, the next thing to check is your Data IMport form in WXSIM. First, go to Start/Auto Run and Other Settings, and Disable auto run. Then go to Import/Import Data. On that form, in the upper left part, you should see surface data checked, and a bit lower down also at least the boxes for READY or GFS and RAOB. Very occasionally, I’ve heard reports of those last two boxes mysteriously getting unchecked. Just check them back (and possibly NAM FOUS, though I don’r recall if you were using that or not). Click OK to save the change, and then set things back up. That should take care of it if that was the problem.

Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for the replay.

I looked and everything on my end looks OK.

Yesterday evening the error stopped happening and has not come back without me doing anything.

So would this be an external problem? I’d think others would be having problems too.

Hi - just for information I had this error back on March 26 and again on 3 April - see http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php?topic=62579.0 . Like you the error disappeared without me doing anything but with me it then came back again a few days later and again disappeared without me doing anything. This only started happening once I started running Tom’s beta programs which led up to the finalised 2016 version. I haven’t had the problem since 3 April when I installed 2016 v1.

My uneducated guess is that it only started happening when ‘Include last year’ was added to WXSIM-Lite and maybe there was some corruption in last year’s files which triggered the error. As I say that is entirely an uneducated guess…

So it’s not just me.

Well it happened again for my 4:17AM run this morning.

I now have had the error on multiple runs today.

This does seem to be a problem with the last build.

Is there any way to not ‘Include last year’ data or how would I try to fix the old data?

Well, I certainly want to figure this out!

It really shouldn’t have anything to do with WXSIM-Lite or autolearn, as they play no role in collecting GFS data for WXSIM. If/when you see the message again, please immediately investigate each of the things I mentioned (whether WXSIMATE ran, whether it created a fresh wdata.txt file, whether this file contains GFS data, and whether the Import form in WXSIM has the box checked to retrieve such data). There’s one other thing: make sure the first hour of the forecast was on the correct data (if there were a problem with the log files, it might read an old date). Please let me know the specific findings. It almost has to be one of those things (though surprises are possible!).

Thanks,

Tom

Hi

I have same problem (see attached).

WXISMATE runs fine without any problems. (Have tried with both McMahon and Bohler GFS)

The message shows when WXSIM is about to finish forecast.

Also the precipitation looks very strange from the WXSIM lastret.txt - see attached

Best regards,
Henrik

2016-04-26_171710.png

lastret.txt (80.7 KB)

wdata.zip (288 KB)

I’m getting the same thing…

Hi Tom,

I am having the same issue at Vejret i Langes

lastret.txt (84.5 KB)

details.txt (209 KB)

2016-04-27_081406.jpg

I have the same issue today too!

My issue was solved by unchecking and checking DST in all applications (wxsimate, wxsimlite and wxsim).

Well, I can tell from Henrik’s wdata.txt that the GFS data exists and is not old. I can also tell that it simply was not used in the forecast. Somehow, WXSIM has “neglected” to use the data (or it can’t find it). A couple of things to check:

Go to Start/Auto Run and Other Settings and post a screen shot of that form.

Disable auto run on that form.

Go to Import/Import Data and post a screen shot of that form.

I wonder if a box about using GFS got unchecked somehow on one of those forms. I’ve seen this happen rarely, for no reason I’ve ever been able to figure out, on that Import/Import Data form. It’s a very easy fix (re-check the box, plus the RAOB one that may have also gotten unchecked) and might not ever happen again. It is strange that multiple users have seen this at the same time, though!

Tom

Hi Tom,

here are the the wanted screendumps from Vejret i Langes

Autorun_langesoe.jpg

Hi Tom

Here are the screen-dumps from my WXSIM

Everything is working as normal at my WXSIM now - so its very strange what happend. I will let you know if the problem comes back.

Best regards,
Henrik

2016-04-28 (1).png

Hi Tom,

now the problem has returned at my site - began again 4 hours ago.

Has this got anything to do with GFS altering their setup as you described in another thread to Henkka ???

When running the WXSIM2016 forecast it again runs much faster than when performing a “normal” run containing valid READY and GFS data.

Please look at all my attachments - all checkmarks are as they have been all the time…

Best regards and thanks for your effort…

Christian

2016-04-30_172736.jpg

wdata.zip (340 KB)

Hi again,

here is part two due to restrictions in size and numbers:

[i]Hi Tom,

now the problem has returned at my site - began again 4 hours ago.

Has this got anything to do with GFS altering their setup as you described in another thread to Henkka ???

When running the WXSIM2016 forecast it again runs much faster than when performing a “normal” run containing valid READY and GFS data.

Please look at all my attachments - all checkmarks are as they have been all the time…

Best regards and thanks for your effort…

!! Update 20160502: Had fallouts for six hours on the 30th of April - and then for two hours on the 1st of May - since yesterday morning, all has been running fine…
Until 13:00, 14:00, 15:00 and 16:00 Danish local time - again without READY and GFS data !!!

Christian[/i]

2016-04-30_173906.jpg

gfsdat0dt=2016-04-30-06.txt|attachment (4.2 KB)

lastret.txt (80.9 KB)

I was good for a week but I’m now getting the error on my last two runs.

I’m not seeing anything wrong in my settings based on what feedback in this thread.

Hi,

Very strange. I had this same problem for 2 days at 24 and 25th of april in runs from 7pm and 10pm. Also I tried to find problems in settings and looked closely to all settings, but no problem to find.
All was well. And 4 am run was ok again. So problem could not be settings.

What goes wrong here?

Hopefully Tom can help.

Oebel

Assen, the Netherlands

Hi Tom,

Update 20160502: Had fallouts for six hours on the 30th of April - and then for two hours on the 1st of May - since yesterday morning, all has been running fine…
Until 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00 and 18:00 Danish local time - again without READY and GFS data - then allright at 19:00.

Running WXSIM2016 and all checkmarks are set even though it fails.

Running WXSIMate on Bohler - same result with McMahon.

Best regards

Christian

Error_msg.jpg