WD updates and Windows 10

Brian,

When I updated WD Ver319 to ver320 and restarted WD I noticed Windows was asking to approve running the exe’s. Is there a work around that? Thanks.

which version were you using before?

Brian,

This is the first time I’ve seen this with Windows 10. I’ve been using windows 10 since they offered the upgrade. That goes back to WD version306. If not earlier.

If it does it again on the next WD version update, I will print screen it and post it.

Has anyone else seen this?

If it is one of those “publisher cannot be verified, it is ok to run this program” type prompts then yeah I have to approve every time I install a newer WD version (or associated programs) and unticking the “always ask…” box means it won’t ask again when WD is started until the next time a newer version is installed. This happens on all recent Windows versions (I am on Win 7) with programs without a digital signature or one not recognised as “safe” by Microsoft" and is a security “safety” feature! I expect there is a workaround but I don’t install newer versions of WD very often so just accept it. Just once did it cause a problem while I was away as WD froze when waiting for an confirmation to run one of it’s companion programs which was triggered for the first time since installing a new version.

Having exactly the same problem here, Martyn, also with W7. New WD version, expect to OK through a bunch of confirmation windows. I always run WD as Admin but that makes no difference. If you exit WD and then restart it, without doing an update, no confirmations are asked for. And you’re also right about if you happen to miss a confirmation WD will freeze up (the local window clock even stops) until you answer the window. A workaround would be really nice.

Installed 320 over 319 today and no pop-up. Running Win10. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I installed the zip update and not the full install.

Win7 Pro here. Haven’t got the guts yet to go to W10 (and not happy at all with M$ taking so much control). Always install the .zip and have 320 running.

Thanks.

To All,

Here is what I’m receiving from Windows 10. This is just one of a couple updated exe’s from today’s 320 zip update.

To All,

In Windows 10 I went into Control Panel, Security and Maintenance. Clicked on Change Windows Smartscreen and turned it off.

that cronawekas.exe file has not changed since may last year
(you can check the modified date on the file)
it will be a false positive

But it says ‘Unknown publisher’. Isn’t that what W10 is complaining about?

cronawekas is one of the 6 or 7 files I always have to OK after a WD update, and I’m on W7 Pro.

it has been code signed…right mouse click to see the digital signature
it may be that I have to resign it with the latest certificate I have

There was more than just cronawekas.exe that popped up with the smartscreen warning. I should have documented which exe’s came up with the smartscreen warning.

I haven’t seen this in a long time. Way before I upgraded to Windows 10.

try another .zip update…I have re signed the cron .exe files…

I don’t know if it applies but I saw this note from another software author a couple of days ago “This release has been necessitated in order to update the Code Signing Certificate to SHA-2, as is now required by Microsoft because SHA-1 certificates are considered insecure.”

Do you want me to turn back on the Smartscreen?

I was aware of the SHa1 needing to become SHa2
and the date today is that change over from memory
I thought the code signing I had, which I just renewed (there is an annual cost)
was Sha2…but it comes up saying its still sha2?

Brian, just installed 320 3/16 @ 0204, the most current at this time. Here’s a list of items that needed confirmation (sample window attached)…

wurapidfire.exe
cronawekas.exe
cronwdwu.exe
croncloud.exe
cronmetardownload.exe

There used to be at least 2 others but this old brain can’t remember their names right now. Whatever they are they weren’t asked for on this install.

Thanks.

sig.jpg

I have managed to get it signed as SHA256 now…
try another .zip download…

Downloading now. Will let you know.

Meanwhile in the previous version (320 3/16 @ 0204), after a short run ftpupd.exe would stop functioning. At the same time Save and Exit would also not work. Had to use task master to quit the program. Reverted to the version before that and all seems well.