Would like to build a Rasberry pi Weather Station

Hello All,

Since my current weather station is slowly coming to the end of its life, and Hobby Boards is winding up. I was wondering if a RPI could be use with WD as a weather station.
If so how easy would it be to build, and has any one got any advice.

Many Thanks
Michael

google brings up a number of web pages
e.g
http://www.instructables.com/id/Complete-DIY-Raspberry-Pi-Weather-Station-with-Sof/

Sorry for not replying earlier.

I have search the net and found some examples.

What would I need so they could feed WD. As a starting point I have just purchased a Raspberry Pi Sense HAT to play with. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

well there is a station type selection in WD to work with a arduino data output
so that would be a good starting point?

Thanks
I will have a play, and report back

I have just purchased a Grovepi kit, which come with a temperature sensor.

I have looked at WD’s station type setting, and found the arduino data output section.

My Raspberry pi is connected to my PC by a network, Is there a way of connection WD to my RPI via a local network connection?

Michael

I have been playing with my GrovePi and have managed to get it so it prints Temperature data to the terminal.

My next step is be to try and connect my Raspberry Pi to WD on my pc a cross a local network, and then send temperature data to WD, using a python script on my Raspberry Pi to out put data, (still have to work out a script, which as I am ne to programming my take a little time)

Is there way to connect the two together, if so what connection settings should I use.

Once having done that i would like to plot the test data, using extra sensor graphs.

Hopling some one cam help

michael

do you mean WD would be getting data from your normal weather station
but this would be like extra temperature data to injest into WD?
its not all that clear

Thanks for replying.

My aim is to sowly build a Weather Station, using a Rasberry Pi and Dexter Industriies GrovePi and a collection of weather sensors that will plug in to the interface, then using a network send data to WD running on my pc. Eventally I will only use the Rasberry Pi as my Weather Station.

At this moment in time I have running using python, Grove temperature/humidity, light, and barometer sensors running on my raspberry pi, all of these are placed on a table in my living room, while I test thing out. My Raspberry Pi is connected and controlled pc my PC using a wireless network.

As I learn more Python (which is a little hard going), I will add more sensors.

At pressent I am learning as i go.

Michael

Hi All,

I now have my Raspberrypi v3 with the GrovePi interface and sensors collecting tempurature, and pressure readings.

How how I get WD to collect data from my Raspberry pi , using my home network ?
NB its still indoors ,while I play.

Please help

well there is a station type selection in WD to work with a arduino data output so that would be a good starting point?
i.e you set up the raspberry pit to serial out the data in the needed format

or you set it to create the universal file format on a shared network drive (samba?)
(see about that in the universal.txt file)

Like the above poster.

I have a bunch of grove sensors running. Data logging to mysql database. Importing some of the data to Wunderground, but not all the extras sensors which is why the need for weather display.

I’m quite stuck on the direction to take.

Do I try to output from database? Which seems maybe the easiest as its the easy way for me to collect the grove sensor data in the first place.

Or bypass the database and use a script to go direct to weather display?

So far I have all the usual sensors. Plus lightning, IR, UV, VL and about 9 different volt readings from solar input and the battery (SwitchDocLabs SunairPlus).

Planned is dust, seismograph (raspberry shake) raspberry pi camera, 3 gas sensors, color sensor. All grove sensors.

I’m stuck at the correct import method?

Stationless?
datain38.ini?
clientraw.txt?
One of the already pre-made weather station plug ins?

Sorry for the annoying noob questions. Weather Display just really seems that it may be a good fit. And i’ve already spent hours trying to work out even which direction to take.

Any help much appreciated.

Did you ever get this to work?

One very good method of ingesting to WD is to use stationless, generate your own clientraw.txt and to feed the data into WD via the loop back method. This has worked faultlessly on my station since 2009. The only problem I have with it is that I can’t get it to work with the latest versions of WD. I don’t know why this is the case but Brian is very kindly working on it. Essentially what you have to do is write to a file on your PC the clientraw data (doesn’t matter which file). The clientraw file must be in the correct format (well documented elsewhere) WD picks it up via the TCP/IP page and can ingest from there and can even generate a further clientraw signal which contains extra signals such as dewpoint, wind chill calculated by WD, should you wish to supply WD Live etc.

The version of WD which works is 10.37-R80 which,admittedly is a fairly old version of WD.

your clientraw.txt file you sent me works OK for when WD is set to client mode and set to use that file

Hi All,

I have been slowly working on my own python programme that generates date for Weewx and a Clientraw.txt.

It runs off a raspberry Pi 3 fitted with a GrovePi+ Board and Grove Sensors. From the l2c port of the GrovePi I have a Switchdoc Labs Grove Weatherboard which has the Wind, Rain and Temperature-Humidity Sensor.

The software is Python 2 and uses code borrowed from various sourses, plus some of my own creation. The Switchdoc board uses a weatherrack python software.

I am not a programmer and it took sometime to get to the stage I have now, and know doubt it could be improved my some one who know more than I do.

At the moment I get false rain readings and incorrect wind speed, sadley I do not know much about GPIO.

I am posing my effort so far in the hope it helps others who are undertaking simular projects, I have not included any of the adafruit drivers

I would be very greatful for any help and advice.

Michael

Whimick_Met.zip (7.2 KB)