Hobby Boards Master Hub V2.3 help needed

Hi All,
Had a catastrophic failure with my Hobby Boards 4 Ch Hub. Next problem: Hobby Boards doesn’t sell them any more. So I purchased the only other option - a Hobby Boards Master Hub. However I’m still dead in the water. I have no clue of how to configure this board to work with WD. Here’s what I can offer so far:

1. I’m using WD latest version - 10.37R297 on Windows 7.

2. I’m using the USB interface cable from the Master Hub to computer set to port 2 (instead of the Ethernet cable interface). Got the Master Hub driver from Hobby Boards, installed and can communicate with the Master Hub with Hobby Boards Viewer program. And that’s where the communication stops. Hobby Boards support sent me this tip: “One thing you could try though is to set it to serial instead of USB as the Master Hub uses serial over USB and the driver you installed makes it look like a serial port to other software.” Don’t know if that’s helpful or not.

3. I’m using Hobby Board 1 Wire Reader vers 1.4 (created by Brian) and it does not see my Hobby Boards temp/humidity and barometer sensors any longer.

A step by step set on instructions would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Thanks

Hi,

Version 2.7 of the hobby board reader is out http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/474309, hope you manage to get it going, I’m having a similar issue, so if I get a lead on how to fix it, I’ll post it up

I recently discovered vers 2.7 of the Hobby Board 1 Wire Reader. Launched it but it does not find the humidity, temperature, or barometer sensors. Tried it under both tabs, “Hobby Boards Sensors” with USB cable, and “Master Hub (Ethernet)” with an Ethernet cable and IP address 192.168.0.180 which I got through the Hobby Boards Viewer. Nothing. How far have you gotten with vers 2.7?

I got it to find the temp sensor in 1 wire by ticking enabled above the empty place where you enter the rom number

the latest HB1wirereader version is included with the latest WD version
so not sure how you were running the latest version of WD but not have the latest HB1wire version?
the master hub support added is for the ethernet version only at this stage
do you have the master hub with ethernet connection…have you tried connecting it that way?

Hi Brian,

Not sure why the latest HB 1 Wire reader wasn’t in the latest download of WD. But it is now. And when you you say included, I think you mean the file “HB1 wirereader.exe” (22,328KB) in my C:\wdisplay folder.

Just to clarify, HB1 wirereader doesn’t launch automatically when you launch WD, right? So I manually launch HB1 Wirereader and then WD.

I do have HB1 Wirereader / Master Hub configured for the Ethernet connection. When I hit “Read Barometer” it lists a pressure and a temperature, and similarly with the temp/humidity sensor. However, I’m not getting those readings to be reflected in WD. I’ve attached some screen shots for you to review my misconfiguration.

Also, am I correct to assume that the tab “Hobby Boards Sensors” in HB1 Wirereader is not to be used if a Hobby Boards Master Hub is used in conjunction with an Ethernet connection or must it still be configured?

By the way, I only have the barometer, humidity, and temperature sensors plugged in at present. Will there be any problems when I get back to my remote site and include the Hobby Boards wind instruments, rain gauge, lightening sensor, and some additional humidity and temperature sensors?

Let me know where I’m going wrong.

Thanks

it will launch auto if you tick to use it, in the com port setup in WD, 1 wire setttings

the fact you are getting readings when you click to read the values is half the battle won
and so the data should be available for WD to use
I am not sure if the TCP commands to the hub works with the original wind sensor (counter)?

Brian,

Found the tick box, thank you, the HB1 Wirereader launches as advertised.

Now let’s work on the other half of the battle.

1. Questions from above: Am I correct to assume that the tab “Hobby Boards Sensors” in HB1 Wirereader is not to be used if a Hobby Boards Master Hub is used in conjunction with an Ethernet connection or must it still be configured and how so?

2. Do you see any fundamental issues in the screen captures I previously sent? Because I can’t get WD to grab the values from HB1 Wirereader.

3. When I’m in HB1 Wirereader, under “Master Hub (Ethernet)” tab, I have to click “Find Sensors” a bunch of times before it finds the two devices. 8 out of 10 clicks gets me a “+No devices found ?M” message. That doesn’t sound right.

4. My Hobby Boards Master Hub revision number is v2.3. Is HB1 Wirereader compatible with that board?

Thanks

for the problem of WD not using the data
.zip and email me your settings files

Brian,

Update: Downloaded and installed build 298 and no change noted. Here’s what I see happening. The only way to get WD to update the temp/humidity is to physically click on the"Find Sensors" button (several times and in rapid succession), and then hit the “Read Temp/Hum” button (only need to click once, works every time) in HB 1 Wirereader vers 2.7.

And even stranger, the only way to get the barometer/temp sensor to update is to physically pull the Ethernet cable out of whatever channel it’s plugged into (on the HB Master Hub) and move it to a different one and then repeat the steps above.

Just an observation, but do you think the need to click “Find Sensors” multiple times to get past the “+ No device found” error message is an important clue?

Thanks

seems to be 2 issues
I thought the issue was that the data was not being picked up by WD
using your settings and data etc, it is (but noting the offsets you have set in WD…see my email
thats the first thing…

Hi Brian,

I changed the values for the humidity and barometer to make the sensors agree with ambient. Hope I changed the correct offsets. I’ve emailed you new settings files if you want to look at them. The settings files also reflect the 298 build.

Thanks

so the readings now match for after removing the offsets, or?

Hi Brian,

Forgive me but I’m so confused. I’m not sure why you’re asking me why the readings are matching (which it looks like they are) when the crux of the matter is that the data does not seem to be updating in the HB Wirereader program and thus not updating WD. Please reference my reply # 10 above on how I have to manually update WD.

Thanks

I am confused
I thought one of the problems was that the data was not making into WD from the HB readings

is the problem now that you have to click on find sensors a few times when the HB 1 wire reader starts up…and then its OK after that?

try this update
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/HB1wirereader.zip
vers 2.8

Brian,

To sum things up: To get the data to update in the HB 1 wire reader window, you have to click “read baro” or “read temp/hum”. That updates WD but only for that given instant. It does not continue to run on its own. It stalls until you manually hit the read buttons again, and then it stalls.

that’s the sort of info that I was needing
see my post above you replied to about a new update…it should get the readings auto now

No joy. The only thing vers 2.8 did was loose the auto loading feature upon the launch of WD. I had to manually launch 2.8 this time. Same other issue. HB 1 wirereader is does not update sensor readings unless you hit the “Read” button. Just an observation but should the, for lack of a better word “activity window” in HB 1 Wire reader be stagnant or constantly scrolling? It only scrolls when I hit “read”. Other than that it just sits there unchanging.