cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Is WML going to survive after Flash?  (Read 4505 times)

Offline tpfrs

• Be patient...I'm a firefighter not a computer whiz
  • Tom Price Western Australia
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 40.0
    • Tom Price Weather Centre
Is WML going to survive after Flash?
« on: September 03, 2015, 02:45:14 PM »
Just wondering
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:50:15 PM by tpfrs »

Offline Jachym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Brno, Czech Republic
    • jachym.czech
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.157
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Is WML going to survive after Flash?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »
There are about 10 exactly the same threads about this topic recently.... so just have a look there

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.157
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 03:57:48 PM »
Chris offered to make the full data stream available, see this, but I don't know if he got any interest.

Since the time that WML was introduced so many other generic "weather on a map" pages, and Ken's more enthusiast focused regional network sites, have become available and popular that in my opinion it would be quite redundant to develop yet another one.

Offline Jachym

• Brno, Czech Republic
    • jachym.czech
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.157
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 04:52:32 PM »
I agree with Niko, if the data is available, then it probably wont be a problem to write PHP scripts that would display it on a map, use infoboxes etc., but the question is, would it be worth it?

Offline tpfrs

• Be patient...I'm a firefighter not a computer whiz
  • Tom Price Western Australia
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 40.0
    • Tom Price Weather Centre
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 04:56:28 PM »
Thanks Niko.
Jachym....ta

Offline Chas

• Dayton, MD USA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.85
    • Dayton, MD Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 02:16:33 PM »
A bigger issue than surviving after Flash is that it is not even working right now with Flash!

Offline aardvark

• Des Moines, Iowa
  • Des Moines, Iowa, USA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Firefox 40.0
    • Des Moines, Iowa Weather and Climate
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 07:33:42 PM »
for some reason, mine works. It might be blocked on your computer because of some setting in either a browser that isn't happy with Flash, I know IOS  won't work with it .
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2); Soil Moisture/Temp Station;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Mojave;https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/1c484adbfa914d1aa10a58ad53ccd563/summary

Offline Chas

• Dayton, MD USA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.85
    • Dayton, MD Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 07:59:42 PM »
Aardvark:

I literally meant that WML is not working right, not that it is not working at all.  I don't think the current issues have anything to do with Flash compatibility.

1) None of the CWOP weather stations have showed up on the map in about 7 weeks because the program that pulls the CWOP station data has died and it needs to be restarted. This has happened below and when I reported it previously, Chris promptly restarted the CWOP process.  However, I have not been able to get him to respond to this latest occurrence coming up on two months now.  On my map I have large areas where the only stations are CWOP so I have been running with large data gaps on my map.

2) You can't pull up the Map and change or update the weather stations on your map in the WML Admin program.  When you try all you get is a blank web page.  The server seems to be throwing a 500 error.  I have reported this to Chris also without getting any response for many weeks.

Offline Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.85
    • Weather Display
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 08:11:41 PM »
the reasons were the loss of the forum server (and no recent backups)
and then Chris was in China for a month
he is back at work now but having to catch up there
so in due course he will look at getting the last peices of the puzzle working
reminding him of that all the time will not make that happen faster

Offline Chas

• Dayton, MD USA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.85
    • Dayton, MD Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 08:25:15 PM »
Well, when you inquire every 6 weeks or so and get no response - not even an "I'm out of town and will fix it when I return" - there is really no way to know if the message was even received. 

I may be a slightly more pushy about this product that I am about some of my other weather programs because this is the only one that incurs an annual fee. To me that implies that some level of effort will be given toward making it work correctly most of the time. Just an acknowledgement of the issue and/or an estimate of when it will be fixed would be wonderful.

Offline Jachym

• Brno, Czech Republic
    • jachym.czech
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win XP
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.85
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 08:53:07 PM »
If you read the posts at the beginning of this thread however you will see that we were actually discussing whether it would actually be worth trying to get this now working at all. WML and WDL wont be supported for too much longer and there are (or hopefully will be soon ;)) alternatives.

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Get answers to your questions - use Forum SEARCH!
  • Blackpool, UK
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.85
    • Weather-Watch.com
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
I apologise for being absent for so long. Life gets in the way sometimes. I've been away on holiday and also very busy at work.

I'm working on the CWOP problem. I think I have the feed running for now, but it's not running the normal way. The CWOP system is designed to re-start itself if it dies, or every four hours if it doesn't. That has worked that way and has run well for many years. So much so that I've never had to look at it. I don't know why it's suddenly stopped working now though.

Yes...I do charge a nominal annual fee for WML data. I have to pay for the server to run the system which isn't cheap. Others seem to have deep pockets to be able to provide free services...I'd love to provide WML at zero cost, but I can't afford a hobby that costs me thousands of dollars per year for other people. And just in case anyone thinks I'm getting rich from WML...after server costs and tax last year I made about $10/week profit. That's not minimum wage in most countries. That's why I have to spend more time on my day job than WML...it pays my bills!

Finally, to get back to the thread topic. Yes Flash is being killed...a lot of the damage was done by companies with vested interests in alternative technologies, but there isn't much I can do about that. I did ask if there was anyone interested in using the WML data to produce alternative display methods, e.g. HTML5, mobile apps, but no-one was interested. I don't currently have time to do that kind of development work (although I'd love to do it). I'm still open to suggestions from anyone who would like to use the data in some way...if you think you may be please let me know.

Chris
Weather Forum Administrator

Offline Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.85
    • Weather Display
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 07:03:48 PM »
I am interested in developing a mobile app to show WML data from a data feed Chris...:)

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.99
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 03:00:11 PM »
Another Flash security update out now.