Bloomsky Weather Station

http://www.desmoinesweather.org/weather28/index.php?p=my%20_bloomsky_page&lang=en#data-area

Baro looks a bit off :frowning:

The downside that cannot be adjusted. Heck nothing can be adjusted with the exception of the geographical location of the unit. It’s been cloudy today, maybe some rain in the future, can’t wait to see how it does when it gets "interesting’ outside

The sky pic is nice :slight_smile:

Hmmm, baro 1" low, you are about 1,000’ ASL I think, so it appears to be reporting actual pressure.

I don’t think it can compare with something like the Davis or similar stations. The operating range is from -4 to 132F. Because of that low value of only -4F, unless someone lives in a nice climate that it doesn’t get that cold, it isn’t going to work.

They are coming out with a rain bucket and wind unit that also has an UV sensor. The price of that unit is well over 1,000$. IF I were in the market, I’d go with the better (Davis) . BUT the camera is the seller here. A fisheye that has a pretty decent range. I am told that in Winter that thing can be brought in and it will keep the wifi settings.

So far it is either a smartphone based or web based. There are two sites, one being the data and the other being the viewer . It is limited to only a 2.4 ghz channel so either a person has to have a dual band or a router to pick that signal. They have a way to go. Data… sure, even can get the batter strength. I can read the difference as the battery discharges. Something i wish Davis would produce.

So for now, I have it for the novelty and got a good deal on their first version from Amazon.

The camera is OK but it only uploads every 5 minutes and there is no way to access the camera directly.

I know that, and it sucks. However there is an upside for me. I have to run in and out of the house a lot when moving the camera, I definitely am getting exercise. Why within a year, I might be able to wear a size smaller and no longer have to shop in the Hippo Butt department at Penny’s/

Watched your cam movies and they cut out at 9 pm. Is that a setting you imposed on the cam? Night time is what I wanted to see how well it picks up the stars…

It only uploads photos during the day. There is no way to override that.

It operates the camera between sunrise and sunset. Then about an hour later it provides the time lapse for the day. No way to change the time range. which sucks for the money.

I got an iMac so I have to go with what works… a lot of the software we use isn’t out there for the iMac. I know, it sucks. I can’t get the full value out of Wdisplay because of this platform.

This fall the OS changes again and Iam sure that will have further headaches.

There are some here https://twitter.com/bloomsky/status/670451609969819649 from about 3 hours after sunset if that helps. The weather comments suggest that it would have been a clear night.

on the Menlo Park? Where is the Wizard?

ah… the Wizard of Menlo Park? Thomas Edison was the Wizard

Good thought, but the wrong Menlo Park :wink:

And to think I was going to pull the trigger and get me one…all I wanted was the camera, but if it doesn’t record 24/7 then I’m not interested.

What is it that your iMac can’t do?

I have El Capitan, soon to be Sierra.

The unit is an all in one unit, that is the 8GB of Ram can’t be improved on. The chips are soldered to the board and there is no way to actually get into the board without destroying the computer.

Running dual platforms are possible, but not with 8 GB of Ram.

The weather software that is available is very limited for the OSX system. Sure the media always show Mac computers, but unless it is for a few games, media and net… it ain’t built for the scientific community per se.

Take WD, it works, but not to the same level of performance as the PC version, Apple has its moments,

It isn’t a PC. So what can’t it do. It can’t do a lot.

I use a mid-2007 iMac with 4GB ram (that is max on my machine) and I ran dual using Parallels. I don’t recommend it but you certainly can run dual. FWIW, I backed out El Capitan due to issues with wifi. Seems my older chipset is never going to work right with the new OS’s so I am stuck at 10.10.5. I’m not even sure switching to a wired network would allow me to upgrade to the newer OS. :frowning:

The El Capitan came with the unit. It works fine and no slow downs. As with any software, operating system, updates and all that Jazz I am going to wait until I HAVE to update the OSx

I do have a plus of using the mac. Mail, I simply love the shwoosh sound when mail is sent.

I am sort of torn between that and MS outlook 2016 for the mac. I just have to figure out how to make more mail boxes for the various senders I have.

My Sky1 which has been up sine February seems to have died. Friday night it failed to produce a video, Saturday the app said it was offline, I got up on the roof and reset it It came online for maybe half an hour and has been offline since I got it down this afternoon, is sitting in my office two feet from the router, went trough the reset routine again. Sorrry we failed to connect to your BloomSky, try again? Just sent an email to [email protected] will see what they say.