cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Making WML data more accessible  (Read 2492 times)

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Get answers to your questions - use Forum SEARCH!
  • Blackpool, UK
  • OS/Browser:
  • Unknown
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.52
    • Weather-Watch.com
Making WML data more accessible
« on: May 14, 2015, 08:12:26 PM »
To date WML has relied on a Flash client to display the data. That's OK but it does mean that any changes to the look and feel of WML have to be made by me and my Flash development skills are OK but not fantastic. ALso Flash is becoming less used than it used to be so some users may not be able to see your great maps. So I'm looking for ways to make the data more accessible by those who subscribe to it so that you can incorporate the data into new web pages/systems of your own. My thoughts are...

I would like to work with one or two developers of web pages to create a mechanism for allowing you to securely access WML data in a way that allows you to build it into other web pages using your own favourite tools. Developers could just be doing work for their own web site, or may wish to create free/paid for systems for others to use. Anyone using the newly created systems would still need a subscription to WML data to use them, but if developers want to sell their own 'software' for generating WML data display pages/systems then that's OK with me.

I would like to provide the data using a PHP script that I will create. I will work out how this will function with the initial developers. This will limit use to web sites that have PHP available, but that's an awful lot of sites these days. It's possible that other interfaces could exist in future, but I want to start out with something I know well and that's used widely.

Data that will be available is all the WML data that you can see through the WML Flash client. In addition I have GFS forecast data that I can include too...this is not currently available in the Flash client so it could give you a lot more info to put onto your web sites (and web sites for other users)

If you're interested in being one of the initial developers, please let me know. I will clearly need to spend some time working on this, but hopefully it's not going to be a major undertaking for me, but appreciate that it may be for the web page developers. If I can get the interface working it will leave you with the opportunity to develop at your own speed.

Chris
Weather Forum Administrator

Offline Chas

• Dayton, MD USA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 6.3
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.9
    • Dayton, MD Weather
Re: Making WML data more accessible
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 12:57:51 PM »
I am having problems again with WML.  When Chris first got it working again except for one or two of the feeds, I had areas of my map where there were no stations.  After the feeds where fixed I was able to fill in those areas and put the full 50 stations on my map.

The last couple of days I have noticed that the map areas that were initially blank are now blank again as those extra stations are no longer showing up.

When I log into the WML Management Centre I find that none of the CWOP channels have updated for three days.  Has that feed broken again somehow?

To be more specific it seems that the channels that have stopped updating all start with CW, DW, or EW.  All others are still updating fine.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:13:21 PM by Chas »

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Blackpool, UK
  • OS/Browser:
  • Unknown
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.65
    • Weather-Watch.com
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 06:20:09 PM »
The CWOP feed may have stopped...I'll check. That code needs some attention...the new version of the OS has a missing feature that I used so I need to re-engineer part of it.

Chris

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Blackpool, UK
  • OS/Browser:
  • Unknown
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.65
    • Weather-Watch.com
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 07:12:44 PM »
The CWOP feed script had stopped. It's been re-started and I've managed to change the process that should keep it running.
Chris

Offline Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 6.3
  • Chrome 42.0.2311.135
    • Weather Display
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 07:28:51 PM »
Chris, while are working on scripts..can you check the forum script that udpates the WD version?  :wink:

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Blackpool, UK
  • OS/Browser:
  • Unknown
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.65
    • Weather-Watch.com
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 08:00:59 PM »
Fixed that one now Brian :-)
Chris

Offline Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 6.3
  • Chrome 42.0.2311.135
    • Weather Display
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 08:08:32 PM »
kewl :)

Offline Chas

• Dayton, MD USA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 6.3
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.9
    • Dayton, MD Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 08:37:06 PM »
Chris, it's been over three hours since you noted that you fixed the CWOP update problem.  However, I am still not seeing updates.  Am I just not waiting long enough or has it crashed again?

As a later follow-up, I still have no feed from CWOP stations after 20 hours...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:16:23 PM by Chas »

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Blackpool, UK
  • OS/Browser:
  • Unknown
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.65
    • Weather-Watch.com
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 07:38:57 PM »
Some more debugging later and I think it's working again. Not quite sure what was wrong though so I'll need to keep an eye on it for a while.
Chris

Offline Chas

• Dayton, MD USA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 6.3
  • Chrome 45.0.2414.0
    • Dayton, MD Weather
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 08:09:34 PM »
Looks good Chris.  Some of the stations have not updated but your fix was recent enough that perhaps they just haven't updated their data yet.  I suspect not everyone is on as fast an update cycle as my station.

Offline administrator

• Administrator
  • Blackpool, UK
  • OS/Browser:
  • Unknown
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.65
    • Weather-Watch.com
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 09:01:23 PM »
Thanks for confirming it's working again.
Chris

Offline Chas

• Dayton, MD USA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 6.3
  • Chrome 45.0.2414.0
    • Dayton, MD Weather
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 09:08:38 PM »
I just looked again after receiving your last note and most of the remaining stations have now updated and are populating on the map.  Thanks again for all your hard work and diligence.

cumulus