Weather Display won't authorize with Twitter (Resolved 3 yrs later!)

are you using the latest version of internet explorer?
also make sure you set to run as administrator

Hi Brian

The version I have of IE 11 is v.11.0.9600

Update v. 11.0.18 and it’s set to update automatically.

With respect to running WD as administrator, I’ll check that out in a moment and report back to you. I haven’t changed anything here and WD and Twitter have not been a problem.

Richard

Hi Brian

I stopped WD and then “Run as Admistrator”, tried a test send to Twitter but it still hangs during the authorise process. Brian, to save starting another topic, over the past few days I’ve noticed that when I restart WD, the missed data from the Meteohub is slow to load. I know you fixed this a while back but it’s all slowed down and I think thats over over the last few days it’s occured.

Richard

try making sure IE is not set to block pop up windows

re meteohub…been no changes there in WD
it sort of points to a local problem with your pc and your LAN
try rebooting?

Hi Brian

Popup Blocker is not turned on. I’ve also set up a new Twitter account and WD won’t work with that either … same issues. I’m going to check out the Firewall and program permissions in a while to make sure something hasn’t changed and I’ll reboot the meteohub and the router and see what happens.

Richard

Hi Brian

Checked all that I can think of and fundamentally no changes. I just don’t know. WeatherCloud only posts to Twitter once a day, so for the time being I’ll have to put up with that!

Richard

I will add in debug logging so we can see what is going wrong for you

Hi Brian

Ok on the debugging. I’m away for a couple of weeks from Saturday, so if I don’t get back to you straight away, I’m not ignoring you!

Regards

Richard

try a new .zip update, ready now
the log file is called
TAdvTwitter.log
in
/users/[yourusername]/Documents/

Hi Brian

Have collected the file for your interpretation. Must be the same for the new Twitter account I set up too.

I’m away about 15:00 GMT Friday

Regards

Richard

TAdvTwitter.txt (1022 Bytes)

Hi Brian

Reading online about Twitter authentication issues, I have subsequently cleared autocomplete caches in IE11 and Firefox hoping that might resolve the issue in view of the results in the debugging log, but it still hasn’t made any difference. It looks as though this is where the issues lay, but I have used the Twitter ID exactly as it appears in the account and with the appropriate password. I’m flumoxed! :roll:

Richard

the ID and password in the twitter setup in WD is not important
what is important is entering the correct ID and password in the authoristion window that shows up
this error
Could not authenticate you
to me means you are not entering the correct ID and password in that window maybe?

I will do a test here of a new twitter account setup

Hi Brian

There is some confusion between Twitter ID and Twitter Username. For Twitter Registration I’ve used RichardTyler11. If you look up that registration, on Twitter, you’re given a long number which is called Twitter ID. I’ve tried that as well all to no avail. I even created a new Twitter account and the same happened with that… just won’t authorise. I’ve changed my password back to the original and still nothing. I can’t make head nor tail of it.

Regards

Richard

Have you let anyone else try with your account? perhaps thats the next step…

you should be using the login details you use to log into twitter.com (username/password)
in the authorise window from the WD setup

I will do a test on a new twitter account sign up

tested and works here with a new twitter account I setup
(meinwindy3)
https://twitter.com/mewindy3

Hi Brian and et al. I was not able to resolve this issue until a few days ago when I did a reinstall of Windows 10 because of a major networking issue and the problem resolved itself with a simple log back into Twitter. Something must have screwed up way back when and the reinstall of WD and W.10 fixed it! Hey ho I’m now 3 years older but none the wiser!

the deleting of the twitter.ini probably was the trick

It seems that Facebook has again update its API for retweeting, and it no longer works. :frowning:

https://help.twitter.com/en/managing-your-account/help-with-twitter-for-facebook
The green box at the top explains it.

Use iftt.com and use the twitter to fb applet, works 100%