Newbie help needed...

Hello all.
Tentatively trying to get some progress with the ss gauges.

So i have uploaded all the files to my server,
have set the figure to 1 in gauges.js
have ticked the box in wd to create the customclientrawlocal.txt file

what is the address i enter against realTimeURL_WD in gauges.js ?
this is my site address http://www.llanelliweather.co.uk/

any help appreciated
thanks
steve.

it should be
http://www.llanelliweather.co.uk/customclientraw.txt
but first have put the customclientrawlocal.txt file, included with the steel gauges, into, WD’s web files folder? (or more specificly the clientraw location)

Ok Brian thanks, will give it a go
Steve

Sorted,

http://www.llanelliweather.co.uk/steelseries/gauges-ss-basic.htm

Thanks Brian.

good work :slight_smile:

I too am a newbie on Steel Gauges. I believe I have done everything that one needs to do to get it going and at the moment I’m trying to get it going locally on my network before I put it up on my website. So…

1. I have WD creating a customclientraw.txt file having first placed the one which came with SS into the same folder as the clientraw.txt at which point it stated being created.
  2. I placed that CCR file in the same directory as gauges-ss-basic.htm.
  3. Edited gauges.js to make sure that WD was set to 1 as directed
    But I only get error on the strap line at the top.
    Any ideas what I’ve missed
    Thanks
    James

problem might be with how you have set the directory to the customclientraw file?
(how have you set that?)

Hi Brian,
Thanks so much for coming back to me. In fact I’ve got a bit further now. What ever I did to point at the CCR file location in gauges.js didn’t seem to work in an ‘over-the-network’ scenario so I bit the bullet and copied the whole SteelSeries directory to a sub-directory of where all my Clientraw files get FTP’ed to and it now seems to be finding the CCR file but I’m getting a parsing error at location 1596 wherever that is. Any other ideas?
James

make sure to edit the files with notepad ++
and that program also shows line numbers
and so you can check what shows in that line number location in that file

I do use NotePad ++ in fact and line 1596 of gauges.js is" cache.sections = [];"
Might it be something in CustomClientraw.txt mind you I think that’s just one line 1712 characters long and location 1575-1607 reads ““WindRoseData”:[%WindRoseData%],” location 1596 being the “R” of the “%WindRoseData%”
Do those help?
Thanks again Brian for your support. I’m glad that so far I’ve bought 2 copies of WD and recommended it to others
James

which version/build of WD are you using?

10.37Q Build 00

that is the problem
that old version does not provide that windrosedata custom tag data
so you will need to remove that from the customclientrawlocal.txt file

Or update to the latest version?..

I’m always nervous about updating something that’s been working beautifully for months.I could always take an image backup of the \wdisplay directory I suppose, update to the new version and if it doesn’t work restore the old one and do that edit you suggested.

Does that sound sensible?

its really up to you
you should have no major problems updating if you are not using windows xp
do note the new .exe file name now (i.e change any short cuts), weatherdisplay.exe instead of WeatherD.exe
(i.e you will still have your older version exe even after updating)

Decided to update and it’s done the trick. Had a bit of a problem getting the path of customclientraw.txt right but it’s all working now. Many thanks :smiley: