iPhone vs Android

I thought I’d start a little conversation regarding the merits of the two main players as far as phone operating system go.

About 8 moths ago I jumped ship from Android (Gingerbread) to Apples ios 6 running on an iPhone 5. Initially I liked the user experience better on the iPhone and the build quality is certainly far superior. Since then I’ve become less and less impressed mainly down to the limitations of the home screens. Not having the ability to space out icons and add widgets is are prime examples.

As far as apps go - I can’t see much between the two. The Apple apps my be a little more pricey but only a little. I think there are more niche apps available for the android as it’s easier for small developers to publish their work.

With the advent of ios 7 I’ve become less impressed. Although Apple have added a few nice touches they have “flattened” the interface with less of a 3D effect. The media player now does not have different views - I preferred the ability fo show my music albums in a tiled format. This is now sadly unavailable.

Last week I bit the bullet and decided to go back to Android.

I’ve got my network provider (O2) to unlock the iPhone and I’m going to sell it on eBay. I’ve kept the contact with O2 and bought a Samsung Galaxy S4. An added benefit of buying outright is that i can use the phone on any network - which is quite a bonus in the UK because roaming charges in Europe are ridiculously expensive and I can now buy a local SIM when traveling.

Wow what a difference! I can’t believe the new features available in Android Jelly Bean and Samsungs’ implementation.

In my opinion the Apple ios is on decline and is struggling to get up with the competition.

Anyone using Windows OS? Is it any good? Am I wrong about Apple’s ios?

Welly

I know three nerdy people who have converted from Apple to Samsung Android. This seems to be the trend. My 25 y.o. grandson is one and he took the attached photo with his high-end Samsung yesterday: I was impressed.

My smartphone is more than adequate for my needs, a Samsung Galaxy Y, but I paid only

I have always had Android phones since I first got a smartphone. Cameras are getting good enough now that you dont need a small pocket camera as well. My Sony Xperia S has 12mega pixels! If I am going out to take photos I take my DSLR because of its flexibility.

I have always thought Iphones and Ipads to be status symbols for those who have to be seen with the latest gadget and there are in general ridiculously expensive compared to most Android stuff and frankly dont have enough extras (if any) over Android stuff to warrant the cost.

Stuart

Had an iPhone 3S for about 10 months; then I switched to a Moto Atrix. Had that for about 7 months then I bought a Samsung Galaxy Nexus direct from Google. I skipped the Nexus 4, but the Nexus 5 is scheduled for this month or maybe early next month and I’m buying that. I like having the freedom to fire my carrier if I want to because I have a no-contract, unlocked phone.

I have an iPhone 4S, but that’s provided to me from my job. I learned later that I could have opted for an Android. I was a littled PO’d but oh well.

I’ve always felt that the iPhone was more like the “Smart Phone for Dummies”. There’s too much locked down, and it involves too much to unlock it (jailbreaking).

I’ll stick with the Android phones.

I know three nerdy people who have converted from Apple to Samsung Android.

I think you may know 4, possibley 5 now :?

Unlocking Android phones is getting more difficult and that will become more the trend. My Samsung Galaxy S4 was unlocked and rooted. The last update unrooted and locked it. I’ve not looked for a month or so, but last time I did no-one had found a way round the problem. Having said that you can do a lot more these days without having to root, so I’m not feeling too bad about having a locked phone (in security sense and not carrier locked).

The guys over at the XDA forum make it fairly easy though. I’ve never rooted or unlocked a phone, and with my new Nexus 5 I haven’t needed it with 4.4 KitKat/KeyLimePie. It’s an excellent phone sofar.

I have the Galaxy S III, which just got upgraded to Android 4.3, and I have never found any need to even think about rooting it.

There simply hasn’t been anything I wanted to do with it that I needed root to do…

I use Windows or Linux on my machines and Android on Phones and Tablets… iOS shall never exist in this household and my entire extended family and friends know if they get a Fruit Product I don’t even want to know about it and NEVER ask me for any help with it… LOL That includes iTunes…

-Bob

So, jaxweather? what makes itunes think my 126GB of music is going to fit on my 16GB iphone? :smiley:

Not sure I understand as 125GB can’t fit on 16GB and as noted I have never used iTunes or iAnything, but if you are referring to streaming, that works from Google, Amazon, Pandora, Sirius and many more :slight_smile:

-Bob

Titanium Backup Pro is probably the think I miss most. The ability to do proper backups of apps and their data, plus removing system apps that you’re never going to use just isn’t possible with a non-rooted product.

That could be a compelling reason for some, as those Carrier added apps are a PITA LOL, but not a big enough issue for me personally …

-Bob

A true non-carrier phone (like the Nexus line) is as close as it gets, since it doesn’t get all the carrier bloatware.

My phone isn’t a carrier phone…I’ve bought SIM free for the last 15 years or so. However, manufacturers also include apps that you don’t need and can’t remove. The Nexus line are better in that respect but not all of them are top spec. The Nexus 4 and 5 are examples where the hardware is reasonable but isn’t really up to the same spec as the top of the range non-Nexus models. I like to have the best hardware I can find (and afford!)

The advantage, however, that the Nexus phones have over all others is the instant Google releases a new Android version, it gets it. No vetting it like carriers do.

There is also a middle ground like the unbranded Samsung Galaxy S4 that I have. That has to wait for Samsung to release code, but not the carrier additions. I do miss the direct Google updates (I had a Samsung Galaxy Nexus before my current phone) but when I had a serious problem with my last phone and needed to replace it urgently the Nexus 4 was the current model and that was a downgrade in some aspects of the spec. I was also disappointed that Google have stopped supporting the Galaxy Nexus so soon…the spec is good enough to take KitKat but they won’t be providing an upgrade.