Beaglebone Black

I’ve just ordered a Beaglebone Black as they’re around the same price as the raspberry pi, but a faster processor, faster memory and onboard flash memory. hoping for a reduced amount of corruption which the PI does suffer from. Hopefully WD will run on it.

Has anybody tried these yet?

I have one, I haven’t tried cWD on it. It’s a different ARM version Cortex-A8 so I imagine cWD would require recompiling.

I was thinking that if I put Ubuntu onto it, I should be able to use the standard Linux WD.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 7

Hmmmm, I’m no expert but I think the underlying processor architecture will be an issue regardless of the linux flavor.

Your probably right, but its worth a go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 5

Oh for sure. You might want to try an older version of Ubuntu since there have been some posts indicating problems with WD on the later ones. Generally I have found that the ARM versions of Linux are (not surprisingly) pretty much stripped down. I have Debian on mine because the default Angstrom lacked stuff that I needed.

Yes, the problems started after ubuntu 11.10. Luckily i still have a copy of 11.10 on one of My drives.

You will need the ARM version, the x86 version isn’t going to work.

full gui version wd linux wiil not run on a arm cpu
unless i compile it on that
I have been thinking of doing that (using my USB external USB drive to install and run the compiler on, on my rapsberry pi…
just need the spare time (there is only 1 of me of trying to support alot of platforms!)