HOWTO: ConsoleWD for Raspberry Pi Setup Instructions - Old version

@Weather Station
Brian

I am not sure what you mean from that statement. I don’t have a meteobridge. I just run Meteohub on the RPi to get the data.
It only takes the data from the USB connection and can’t interogate the WMR300 to get historial data or anything like that.

Cheers.

yes
and
so
I could get consolewd to get the data from meteohub
if you wanted

@Weather Station
Thanks Brian

Yep. If you could an it’s not too much work. Your system seems to have better reporting that I have found in Meteohub.
Cheers.

OK…
are you able to port forward your meteohub and let me know that, so that I can test here?

Brian

I’m not sure. How would I do that?

Cheers

Which did you end up going with? I am considering moving on from the PC version to a raspberry Pi. I used to leave the Windows PC on 24x7. I moved to an apartment for about a year and got out of the habit of leaving the PC powered on.

Nobody answered the question, and the project dropped off my radar. One day I’ll pick it up again.

Hi,

I could highly recommend a RPI3b, mine has been running without a flaw for 2 years now, if i did not had to do a apt-get update or an apt-get upgrade every now and then, it would have been running now for almost 2 years non-stop!
Also there’s a new version out for the Raspberry, the RPI4b, but that’s brandnew and probably overkill if you just want to work with consolewd…

Staccermaccer AKA Marc,

I have an RPI2B, would ConsoleWD run on it? Might have to try it out, always another project… :slight_smile:
-G.

Hi,

New to this forum and consoleWD. I am using a RPi 3 Model B. I have the Raspian Buster with Desktop image on the SD card. Using the Meteo-Pi for the logger with the Davis Vantage Pro2.

I tried to foloow the RaspberryPi consoleWD step-by-step post. I tried to follow the steps without any success.

No disrespect to WVDKUIL for posting the step-by-step instructions.

I have a fair grasp of Linux, not great, but fair.

First step install extra libs

1.1 install usb libs

1.1.1 modify /etc/apt/sources.list

Add one line to that file, remember to use sudo or use the gui in a root file-manager window

deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/pool/main/u/udev/libudev-dev_175-7.2_armhf.deb sid main

1.1.2 execute in a terminal window

sudo apt-get install libudev-dev
sudo apt-get install libusb-dev

1.2 install libhid

1.2.1 download from http://alioth.debian.org/frs/?group_id=30451.
It is placed into your home folder[/b][/b]

Is there a more recent step-by-step install instructions available on this forum?

Please accept my apologies for being the Newbie at this.

Thanks for the help.

Ron

have you tried first simply copying the library files in the deploy folder for consolewd to
/usr/lib/ and /usr/local/lib/
(as sudo via command line)
then run consolewd ?
sudo ./consolewd

This document / topic is VERY old. We are now 4 generations further, and nothing described than is usable today.

A new document should read:

Install Raspbian latest version and do all updates download consoleWD => "Weather Display for Linux console 64 bit Raspberry pi3 Version on 6 January 2020 - 22:54:47" from http://www.weather-display.com/fileslinux.php unzip and place in the your main folder

Adapt the first lines of config.txt to have your logger (or device) talking with consolewdD
start a terminal window and
=> copy the files from deploy/
==> to /usr/lib/ and to /usr/local/lib/
Setup config.txt
Now you can start consolewd.

I borrowed a raspberry for testing and writing an updated HowTo
I used my WiFilogger which is for consoleWD a Davis-IP logger at port 22222 of its IP-address
==> Weather station type=32
==> Davis VP IP port=22222
==> Davis VP IP address=192.168.0.210
I started consolewd and

If use this program,then please consider sending a PayPal donation to [email protected] (Brian Hamilton)
to help with costs, and support, thanks!
www.weather-display.com
Connecting TCP/IP 192.168.0.210 22222
Connecting TCP/IP 192.168.0.210 22222

Requesting LOOP data from IP
raw vp baro 1024.2
raw vp temp 11.8
Vpsolar = 32767
Davis Data OK
Current data 16:58:42: Temperature= 11.8 Windspeed =0.0 Gustspeed =0.0 Direction =265 Humidity=97 Barometer=1024.2 Daily Rain=0.0  Rain Rate 0.0mm/minRequesting LOOP data from IP
raw vp baro 1024.2
raw vp temp 11.8
Vpsolar = 32767
Davis Data OK
Current data 16:58:42: Temperature= 11.8 Windspeed =0.0 Gustspeed =0.0 Direction =265 Humidity=97 Barometer=1024.2 Daily Rain=0.0  Rain Rate 0.0mm/minRequesting LOOP data from IP

And yes, it also tested correct with a Meteobridge and probably also with any of the other weatherstations as listed in the first TWO lines of config.txt.
So we can simply use all defaults and it works 'out of the box"

Forget this complete topic, take a clean SD card and do a clean install/update of raspbian, install consolewd.
Copy the files form the deploy/ folder twice.

Before starting consolewd you have to find what station/logger should be used for “the Meteo-Pi for the logger with the Davis Vantage Pro2.”
That is really the only problem/task you should have. Once WD knows what logger your Meteo-Pi emulates all should work.

I think “Meteo-PI” emulates a serial connection, read this topic Meteo-Pi - connecting device for Raspberry Pi™ and Davis® consoles
There is in this post also a screenshot to “remove” the serial console and make the serial0 active
So you have to set in config.txt

Weather station type=31     // that is Davis VP=31
Davis com method=1       //  1 for serial

There is one other “tricky” setting at line 29, which you maybe have to set to 1

Davis com method=2   // 1 for regular  2 for special davis serial read

Succes, Wim

nice one Wim :slight_smile:

Can i just ask - does WD on the PI output the MQTT feed similar to the Windows version?

I was thinking of moving to the PI but my main output is the MQTT version of ClientRaw…

Andy

not currently, but I could look into it in the future

Whilst these instructions are for older versions of consolewd and the Raspberry Pi I’ve left the topic stickied because it contains a lot of useful info about consolewd.

I see there is a new update for WD console for Raspberry PI. (Version on 10 March 2021 - 20:46:35) Is there somewhere which details what the update contains? What files have been updated?

I am using this with the Saratoga template and there are many fields that are in the windows version that are not populated in WD console. are there any plans to include these fields in the future?

the update was for an issue reported right
here in the linux section of this forum

I am trying to run two weather stations in two windows from two directories, and only one will FTP the data to the server. the other one reads the data and writes to the local drive, but does not FTP to the server.

Is there some way to get both to complete the FTP to the server?

Here is the output from consolewd from the one that doesn’t FTP.

• Connection #0 to host api.weather.com left intact
    {“observations”:[{“stationID”:“KWIEASTT22”,“obsTimeUtc”:“2021-03-13T03:01:46Z”,“obsTimeLocal”:“2021-03-12 21:01:46”,“neighborhood”:“Country Club Lane”,“softwareType”:“myAcuRite”,“country”:“US”,“solarRadiation”:null,“lon”:-88.413239,“realtimeFrequency”:null,“epoch”:1615604506,“lat”:42.811348,“uv”:null,“winddir”:293,“humidity”:85.0,“qcStatus”:1,“imperial”:{“temp”:31.8,“heatIndex”:31.8,“dewpt”:27.8,“windChill”:31.8,“windSpeed”:2.0,“windGust”:2.0,“pressure”:29.86,“precipRate”:0.00,“precipTotal”:0.00,“elev”:810.0}}]}
    time from WU API 21:2

WU API Data OK
** opening custom input file /home/pi/consolewdfiles/wxlocal.html
***closed custom tag in file
******custom output 1 /home/pi/consolewdfiles/testtags.php
******re writing custom file
**custom tags lines to write 992
** closed custom tag out file
updating records to ini file
Current data 21:2: Temperature= 31.8F, Windspeed =2.0 Gustspeed =2.0 Direction =293 Humidity=85 Barometer=29.9 Daily Rain=0.0 Rain Rate 0.0mm/min Solar 0.0w/m2 UV 0.0

Thanks

Tim

it should work OK, from 2 different directories, as the settings and data are separate…i.e local to that directory location and not fixed to any specific location
i would compare the 2 different config.txt and wdconsole.ini settings files re around ftp options for any differences