changing domain name

I am noticing that I am getting fewer and fewer hits on my www.weatheraardvark.com site. I am considering changing the url, if it is available to something tht better represents my information . I think I can do that with my account at Hostmonster.com with no problems, but does anyone think it is advisable? I would have to contact a few places I send data to that I am doing that, just curious before I take the leap.

Now that I am retired, I tend to think too much these days.

I own www.snoqualmieweather.com then moved to North Bend and bought www.northbendweather.com

I kept the Snoqualmie domain and have it redirecting to the North Bend url.

You could do the same thing. I didn’t seem to lose that many hits at all when I moved probably cause of the redirect and people didn’t know…lol

+1

I am going to set up a second domain with hostmonster. I am getting about 5 or less hits a day. I used to get 60 , what happened is that originally my domain was with my cable provider and of course those site names are not registered. Hence when I changed to a different provider I didn’t have that type of domain.

SO… I came up with Weatheraardvark.com and that I think chased people away. I have been using google analytics as well as site counter and the hits are not there. I am going to put up a site referral but go with the new name, once I get it going.

Depends on the host but you may be able to just have a new (additional) domain name that is pointed to the same site, rather than a whole second hosting account.

that is what I am thinking. I sent a support ticket to them and asked them if it was possible to either point my old to the new, which I think it is possible, or to switch around the domains, making one primary and the other secondary with the options to delete it .

I have to wait 24 to 72 hours before the new domain is registered and active anyway. It is Saturday and I am guessing these folks take the day off as well. The live chat had a wait of 30 minutes.

Since you are recently retired with a lot of time on your hands you might rent an aardvark costume and walk around town with a sign listing you web address…or better yet register with P.E.T.A. and tell them you have built a weather site for aardvarks because you are concerned about the recent decline of the aardvark population in Iowa. Now that should increase your hits. :lol:

Doug

Doug, I know where you live, the armadillo capital of the west. I know what you Okies call armadillo in your finest eating establishments… Possum on the half shell.

Correction…‘road-kill’ on the half shell…good stuff :lol:

and that is exactly why I gave up eating in the school caf