Solaris 8 install

I have recently acquired a SunSparc 20 that is just waiting for an operating system. The system is an older one but would probably make a good dedicated weather box / web server. I have Solaris 8.0 for Sparc to install on the machine. Has anyone tried WD on solaris? If it doesn’t work, there’s no sense in reinventing the wheel. If untriied, I 'll probably work on it sometime this week.

Bill

I think that the Linux version of WD is a binary.

I would be surprised if it worked under Solaris 8 which is not a Linux kernel.

It is a binary, however, it may depend more upon the libraries used to compile against. Some libraries are universal and will function with all flavors of unix., and some not… Just a thought…

Bill

hi
the librarry files needed do come with the installation, but it also needs certain other core library files to be of a certain version number…that might be the problem (its compiled with Borland Kylix…do a quick search on that…the library files needed)

Under Solaris 9 is does not execute at all.

# file WeatherD
WeatherD:       ELF 32-bit LSB executable 80386 Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped

To check for missing libraries…

# ldd WeatherD
ldd: WeatherD: has wrong class or data encoding

Yep, I tried it on Solaris 8 last night. Same type of error. OH WELL… just a thought

Bill