Comm port error

This should be simple, as have dealt with it in Win 7 and XP, but this time is stubborn. Upgraded from Win 7 (where station and Prolific USB to Serial cable worked fine) to Win 8. Did not format drive. Reinstalled WD and somehow it knows it is registered (where did that come from?), but comm port error. This error also shows up in Device Manager, too, under Ports/etc., even though proper driver installed according to Prolific site. I tried changing port from 3 to 4 which of course solved nothing. Have reset station three times, unplugged/replugged station cables to no avail. Ideas? Appreciate any experience.

try unplugging/re plugging in the station maybe?
a reboot?
a bigger hammer?

Prolific said something about bogus Chinese cables which are identical right down to imbedded chip, but one I am using has worked on Win 7 and XP for years. Then there can evidently be issues around not doing a “clean” install (format) which I did not do and of course found out this possibility too late. I will keep fiddling with it. Another cable is small investment, and complete uninstall/reinstall of WD does not take all that long. Yes have reset WX200 and unplugged cables several times. Hammers do have their place but here know how would do the trick. Thanks, Mark