IP Camera Recommendations

Hi All,

I’m on the lookout for an IP Camera to replace one of my Microsoft Lifecam’s and I’m looking for some recommendations, with image quality examples if possible, so I can find the right one.

I have a housing so it doesn’t have to be outdoor camera and as it’ll be in a housing then wireless isn’t really going to work.

I’m mainly looking for something to produce good quality 640x480 images to use with WD’s Webcam Capture to produce the timelapes movies.
The housing has space for a camera which is 4 1/2 inches x 3 inches x 6 inches and I’m not looking to spend

My Panasonic BL-C140 has been rock solid for 5 years now. The plastic lens cover is yellowing a bit from the UV (like every car headlight in California :roll: ) so I will probably polish it out soon but I think they make a very good product.

Hi Martin

I have a secondhand Axis 211A which I purchased on the popular auction site that we all know :wink: I am very pleased with it and would totally recommend them as also the Panasonics which I have used in work alongside the Axis units. There is a 210 listed which finishes later this evening that may fit your requirements but I would add that autoiris is a must have if you are interested in night time views or the cam is pointing south with a tilt skywards. I have only ever come up against one issue and that relates to uploading to Wunderground. The image output is slightly bigger than they currently allow on the file upload restrictions, I keep meaning to email them about this but always get sidetracked ! A useful place to store daily movies without loading up your web hosting space.

I paid

I have a Foscam IP Camera F8910W. now that is an inside cam but you can turn off the IR. They also make outside cams as well.
my site: http://www.weatheraardvark.com/webcam.htm

I am very pleased with my units, low cost and motorized

http://foscam.us/

Has anyone tried a Dropcam.com?

Seems like they would make a nice weather cam.

Three cams on my site are Axis, easy to setup and i never have had any problems with them, all of them are 2nd hand from the big auction site,

2 x axis 211 and one axis 206

Thanks for the info so far.
I did look at the Panasonic BL-140 but it’s getting hard to get now and those that are around are going for around

It’s now quite late and look at the lovely view of the sky from the Axis :slight_smile:

thebayweatherweb.jpg

:thumbright:

There’s no Axis 211A’s on the Bay of E at the moment, but I’m in no hurry. :smiley:

I have to agree with the others, if you can get an Axis with auto iris at the right price that would be a very good buy.

Well, I said I wanted to capture the aurora with my new Axis 210A IP cam and it’s done it’s working this evening. :smiley:

Here’s the videolasthour from earlier this evening: http://youtu.be/Aksqh3eug1o

I’m glad the Axis cam got it, cos I missed the whole thing! #-o

Martin,

Beautiful aurora and thank you for sharing :smiley:

The CAM has come in handy, mine gets hammered when it snows 8)

Cheers

Andy

Very nice! Thanks for posting. =D>

Great question! Seems like the newest DropCam (Dropcam Pro I think it’s called) would be great. And using Sebectec.com software to connect via the cams IP address, that might be a decent solution for some. I’m betting it creates some really great time lapse movies. I’ll have to order one and play around with Sebectec’s software and see how it does. :lol:

I just got a new Dropcam Pro yesterday mostly for security, not for weather, and so far it’s got a great picture.

The nice thing about a Dropcam is you can embed the live video on your website and serving is free to an unlimited number of viewers.

Edit:

You don’t need/can’t use any other software with a Dropcam. It just sends the live video through your router to Dropcam and they give you embed code and do all the serving. Pretty hard to beat HD live video for a one time cost of $200.

I’m just trying the Sebectec software so I can produce a second time lapse movie from one of the Axis cams.
The trial copy I have was easy to set up but doesn’t have some of the features found in WD’s software, even simple things like being able to change the location of the text, date & time on the images.
Still early days yet so I’ll see how it goes. :wink: