Bad winter expected

I think we’re in for a bad winter. The berry bearing trees and bushes round here are weighed down with loads of berries this year. The birds are having fun, although if it is a bad winter they won’t have later on :frowning:

I’m not really sure what the definition of a bad winter would be around here.

A really cold winter would make all the Snow Birds that come here for the warmer winter weather complain about the cold. The more of them to leave the better for traffic etc… so that might actually be a good thing.

A warmer winter would just bring more snow birds… and make more people than normal move here. that would not be a good thing.
I think only the fact that we get up in the 115 F range during the summer is a deterrent. If it were like it is now all year round, there would be 60 million people living here now.

A wet winter however would most likely be welcome in that we are in the 8th year of a drought. That too would piss off the snow birds as it might interfer with their golf games…

While we do live in a Desert, and it is supposed to be dryer than most parts of the country… anyone that has gone by any of the reservoirs lately will notice that many of them are way down from normal. Picture attached of Hoover Dam on a trip we took to Vegas in June this year is a good example. The white is where the water used to cover.

When we first moved here in 1991, the following year was a wet winter… the Salt River which is normally dry actually filled fully across the channel and took out the newly being built Mill Ave bridge. Almost took out the old bridge at the same time. That was a lot of fun… :lookslikerain:

Not that I’d like to see that, but with only 5.37 inches of rain so far this year… a couple inches here and there would be nice.

hoover-6-20-2004.jpg

Around here , forecast is who do you believe - kind of like the upcoming election :P.
We had a very unusal summer with ample rain, dry the last two months. One “TV” guy thinks its going to be a normal one, the noaa forecast says normal for the area, ME? well the squirrel cleaned off the pear tree and appear to be busy doing , well, squirrel things. My gut feeling? I have arranged for snow removal already and think it will be a wet winter with a lot of snow , that wet kind. I already have dusted off my Snow Kap that I got from Chann Barnhart ( I can direct anyone who wants one that way) and will put it on as soon as it snows.

Yes, your photo looks very dry. you could go to the noaa forecast for the area, do a rain dance or throw the snow shovel away, all good signs of producing snow. works for me.

Snow? What’s that? My youngest son (6 next week) has only seen enough of it to play in once. 30 miles east in the hills get more, but the Gulf Stream means we don’t get much near the coast.

Snow… that is something we go visit… it doesn’t visit here. That is actually a good thing, I think. A couple years ago, I visited the Washington PA area (western PA) for a week in January. Highs in the mid-teens all week and lots of snow. Saw how that type of stuff really messes things up. They actually had a rule at the place I was visiting (a business) that if you got there before noon, they would count you there for the whole day :lol:

Was surprised to see that their are many different types of snow though. I saw just about every type that week from really dry fine crystal stuff to big wet sloppy stuff. In any case… I’ve got enough things to do than have to shovel out the driveway each morning.

As for the NOAA forecast… it looks like it is for more Snow Birds and other critters moving here for the winter… It doesn’t actually say that, but it does say warmer than last year and that is about the same thing. Its funny to hear the locals complain about how cold it is when it only gets in the low 40’s and that is not very often here.

winteroutlook2005.gif

It does say it is going to be wetter though… that is a good thing if it actually happens.

Like the big rain storm we were supposed to get starting sometime after midnight last night… nope, none, squat, not even a piddle yet. The western part of the State is getting some good rain… It will most likely jump over us then rebuild and hammer the mid to east coast later in the week like normal…

winteroutlookp2005.gif

Snow? What’s that? The last time I saw it around here, was in 1983…

My best regards

I don’t suppose you ever get snow in southern Portugal at the end of May/early June? I’ll be there next year, so I hope the weather is good!

Chris, please keep cool, or better, keep warm, lol. If you mean Algarve at the end of May/June, the only risk I can talk about is fire… but, to be true, there’s only a few, very few part of the forest to burn, as the last two years where like hell. I think you heard about it.
Talking about snow, from time to time there is a mountain that separates Algarve from the rest of the country that dresses in white, even in late Spring. Even so, the only risk I can imagine is a forum administrator peacefully taking a sea bath with the sight of a white mountain behind, under a shining sun, while a poor forum user works like a dog (who is risking is the forum user, of course).