Temperature WS-2350

Hi

Does anyone know if the WS-2350 has to be positioned in the shade?

It says 15c when the met office predicted 8 so…

Thanks in advance!!!

Yes, it’s best to position the temp/hum sensor pack on a North facing wall or in a solar radiation shelter.
There’s a thread on here somewhere which shows a DIY version for a radiation shelter which works very well as I built one myself. :wink:

Ok i’ll make one i think, there is a cover over the thermometer but i guess it doesn’'t keep out all the solar radiation.

The cover that slips over the top of the sensor pack is only a rain protector and will cause the temps to rise if in direct sunlight as there’s no flow of air around the sensors.
If you want to go the whole hog then adding a fan that pulls air past the sensors is good as there tends to be a build up of heat, even in the solar radiation covers, when there’s no or very light winds. The fan just assures a constant flow of air and more accurate temps. :wink:

Here’s the link to the DIY version: http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/174379

I see, i’ll make a radiation shelter but i think a fan is a bit much for my setup.

Do you use a fan? I saw the post about a radiation shelter for your WS-2300.

:slight_smile:

No, mine was on a north facing garden wall but my Davis does as that’s in the middle of the field and in full sunlight. It does make a difference and my temps are normally within a degree or two of the airport 8 miles away. :wink:

How many watts is the fan you use?

I’m not sure of the power it draws, it’s solar powered off a small panel on main Davis sensor pack. This is the fan unit, it’s quite large, maybe 3 inch dia but only runs at about 100 rpm.

Maplin’s used to do a solar powered fan that’s like a kids project, I couldn’t find that one but there’s THIS one which may do the job. :wink:

Yeah having it solar powered is a good idea!

thanks for link

Hi

I made a solar radiation shelter with wire and aluminium foil.
It works but the problem is it gets bad wireless signal now.
Could this be due to the tin foil? :smiley:

More than likely.
I used mine in the wired format as the wind speed updates so much faster so that wasn’t an issue for me. :wink:

Yes, i’m planning to get it wired soon, as it’s more reliable and frequent, as well as not radiating my room.

I finally got WD and it seems much more advanced than Cumulus or Heavy Weather. It is tricky to set up though, especially the graphs.

Well there’s plenty of folk on here to help if you get stuck on anything and no question is a silly question. :wink: