USB connection WS-2350 with RS232

Hi

Sorry if someone has already asked this.

I recently got a La Crosse WS2350 weather station, it works fine except from the part of connecting it to the PC.

I tried to install the driver that came on the disc but it didn’t give very good instructions.

The computer recognizes a ‘Serial converter’ when I plug it in, but not a weather station.
So when I load up Heavy Weather, it cannot receive any data, i tried changing the USB ports but nothing received.

Can anyone please give me instructions on how to get the WS to connect with Heavy Weather? or just a tip.

I will be very grateful to anyone who helps
Thanks

Please can somebody help me with this, sorry if that is impatient? :smiley:

have you loaded the USB to serial driver that comes with the station?
(they you should see a virtual com port number in device manager, ports)

Yes i have loaded the driver serial disk that came with it, but it doesn’t help the computer recognize the weather station. I only have one port(com3) in device manager which is odd because i have at least 6…

When the WS does connect to ‘heavy weather/other program’ does it show up in My computer as a device or does it just say USB serial converter in device manager?

Thanks for your reply!!! :smiley:

6 serial ports?
what does it actualy say in device manager, ports ,for com port 3
(i.e type, etc)

It says in device manager:

Ports>>Port Com3 and ECP Printer port,

Thats all there is. Should it show all the ports that are there?

it should show that one of the com ports is a virtual com port, i.e a USB to serial com port, if the driver has been installed correctly

It doesn’t show a virtual com port, so that says that the driver has not been installed?

Thanks for help

most likely
try doing a google search for a more up to date driver, for the usb to serial adaptor you have
(especialy for your windows version)

Thanks a lot, your tips worked! i now have heavy weather receiving data!!! :smiley:

I receive updates every 128 seconds which isn’t really regular enough to record wind gusts highs, do you know if there is any way to make the updates more frequent?

Thanks SO much :slight_smile:

128 seconds is the update speed for wireless mode.
If you connect the cable from the sensors to the console it will update much faster.

There’s a “How Too” somewhere that’ll tell you how to get it updating faster in wireless mode but it means a bit of rewiring and it reduces the battery life. If I find it I’ll post a link. :wink:

There, that didn’t take long: http://users.otenet.gr/~meteo/project_modification-for-faster-wireless-data.html :wink:

Thanks for that link, i might try the mod.

Do you know if Heavy Weather is a good program for data, or should i get another?

Having started with Heavy Weather back in 2006 and quickly transferring to Weather Display (this is the support forum for that software :wink: ), I would advise you to change.
Weather Display has so much more included on it, OK you have to buy it, but it’s a one-off payment and the software is continually in development.
This forum has a wealth of knowledge about the software, weather website development and other software which will run alongside Weather Display. :wink:

Brain,
You can pay my finders fee later!! :lol:

Ok thanks for info, i wonder if its risky to mod the transmitter…

I think it may effect the warranty a little. :lol:

Probably!

How often does your station receive updates? 8)

Every 2.5 seconds as I now have a David VP2. :wink:

Ok, 8 seconds is probably regular enough to record most wind gusts, do you agree?

For the price of the kit then 8 seconds is fine, and it’s faster than some others in the same price range. :wink: