Windows 8

I just got a new box with Windows 8 install in it. So far with out getting into to much detail, I can’t get my Davis Vantage Pro to work with the Latest WD. The Davis software seems to work, used a 5.93 and upgraded to 6.02. After installing the Latest WD the WD reports a Comport error at the top of the program and there I am stuck. I uninstalled the Latest WD version, and dropped down to v 10.37Q build 75. The comport error went away and data did fill the program, but most of it was wrong. ex. the temp outside was 38 and WD reported 55 but I think the wind direction was OK.

Anyway after nursing my old XP box for all these years I thought I would get a break and finally just plug and play, instead of fixing stuff all the time, lol.

I guess my real question is if anyone has had any luck with Windows 8.

yamiacaveman

I have run WD (latest build) on Win8 Pro for 2 months without any problems :slight_smile:

I did a Win 8 upgrade on a brand new Win 7 machine. Unfortunately, I could not do a dual boot on upgrade software. Even though the pre-upgrade test indicated that it would more than happily Win 8, it did not accept something or other and indicated 100s of errors on rebooting, telling me to not switch off. It churned through at least a couple of dozen reboots and finally finished with reverting to Win 7 all by itself. This proved flaky, so I re-installed Win 7 from scratch, not wishing to persevere with Win 8 and being apprehensive at the idea of playing with Lego blocks on the screen, anyway. Microsoft refunded the money for the Win 8 upgrade, no questions asked.

Moral of the story: if you are upgrading to Win 8, get the full version, so that you can test it first in dual boot, and not the upgrade version which does not allow dual booting.

Thanks for the reply runarbg, you have given me some hope and determination to keep trying.

yamiacaveman