10.37 Bld 36 Crashes

Over the past two weeks on a win7 64 bit machine the software for no apparent reason lock up the entire system The I have to do a hard reset of teh system. At least three times when the system rebooted and WD started, it was as if it was a new installation asking what language I want. I had to re input my lat./lon elevation. All the file paths went back to default. What gives here? Please.

Ps, I have already turned off all security softwares etc in my testing. Also system is virus and male-ware free.

Frustrating to say the least!

you should be using the latest version
as there was one version around that build that had a memory leak
also make sure to set WeatherD.exe to run as administrator on W7

also if using a USB data logger (you dont say if you are or not)
then make sure to be using the latest silcon labs USB driver for that

I am using a USB data logger. Where do I get the latest driver? Thanks

there are lots of threads about where and how to download the latest silicon labs driver
I would try doing a search (use the advanced search)

Brian,

There is still an issue with WD and the USB data logger. It worked for 2 days then Whamo! At 2:16am EDT 9 October 2012 , it stopped updating from the Vantage Pro II console. The time and date are correct on both the console and the computer. The Vantage Pro II is updating fine but the data is not being taken by WD.

Some details.

I updated the USB drivers from this site: http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx Is there another?

I am using WD v 10.37 build 40

Chenged the USB cable thinking it might be bad, but at this point I am just grasping at straws.

I do not what else to check or do. This has become a Royal PIA. Thanks for your input to help fix this conundrum.

Anthony

Get the USB data logger swapped for a Serial data logger. You will also need a good quality USB to serial converter too.
I had a USB data logger which kept causing the PC to crash and no matter what driver I installed after trawling the help threads I still had the problem. I had bought the USB logger from Red Onions and they swapped it for a serial logger without any hasstle. Since then The computer has not crashed once after running 3 months 24/7

Paul

http://cumbernauld-weather.co.uk

Hi Kilo-India, this is what I did & has been working since then http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/425133 hopes this helps.
Teal.

I decided to purchase the serial cable interface. I also added two snap on ferrite chokes that cover up to 52 mHz. Lets see what happens now on 40 meters at 1500 watts.

I added the 8231 to my setup and it cured my problems with my radio knocking out my USB connections to my computer. But then I’m not running that kind of power, just barefoot 100W.

This, I am certain now, is unrelated to any RF. Once again this morning, I am greeted with a locked up system.

Is your computer locked up? I’m asking because I am seeing flatlines here. So just want to confirm that your computer is locked up and it’s not just WD that appears locked up.

Yes. Total lockup. I have to hit the reset button. I cant even do a start shutdown.

To elaborate on my previous post, I bought a high quality 1.2M gold plated USB cable, 2 ferrite snap on chokes and tried 3 drivers but the PC kept freezing. CTRL ALT delete not working, and only a hard boot would shut the PC down.

I swapped the USB logger for a Serial logger and it’s been running for 4 months no problem.

It was very frustrating keep trying drivers and various USB cables, ferrite rings and RF chokes not to mention the wast of money.

I would highly reccomend everyone to avoid the USB data logger and buy the serial one.

Paul

I had this problem running with serial logger on XP, would run for 2 - 24hrs then everything froze. Bought new PC on Win7 still the same problem, in frustration swapped monitor and usb mouse/keyboard for spare ones. Haven’t had a freeze since …maybe yours is similar?

Ok, So I got the new serial port logger today. I installed per directions. I have the com port correct as well as the baud rate. I get no error from WD telling me there is any com port error. So how come I do not see any data on my screen?

I have stopped and saved and restarted a dozen times already.

Thanks

there is debug info under view, WS2010/WS2500 data setup

how do you have the serial data logger connected to your pc?

Yes it is connected but no data to WD. How is it connected? Via a serial port directly. No usb to serial converter. It is the new logger with the seral plugged directly into the computer.

I have no idea what you are referring to WS2010,ws2500

there is debug info under view, WS2010/WS2500 data setup

not sure how much clearer I can make that
but here goes

view is a menu item in WD
and WS2010/WS2500 data setup is an icon on the view panel

click on that