Yet another project

I find I need to move my D-link DCS 930L to the living room. Louie also gets into trouble there, so I am thinking of moving the Dlink into that room.

That leaves the weathercam without a camera. I purchased the foscam fi8910w and plan on using that as my IP camera. My question to anyone who has one of these things. After I get it set up, then I am assuming I can load that IP address into the webcapture software that WD uses as I have with my DCS 930L and go from there. Am I right or am I in for a little more work than I thought.

I am also trying to find a good app for that camera for the IPhone 4s . I have one for the Dlink and it works fine.

You will need the path/filename for the still image in the camera. What I did was view the webcam image in your browser connected to the webcam then view the page source for the path it is using, then enter that in the WD settings. Integration with WD should be painless.

thank you. I got the blue iris software to sort of keep an eye on things. What I noticed is that software crashes if a web browser is used. Now take WD, it keeps on working.

I am going to use the Blue Iris only when I need to use it and depend on WD for everything.

Good deal. I found I had to use IE with the Agasio if I wanted to fully control the webcam.

camera arrived yesterday and I have been working trying to get it to read into the WDcamera capture. So far the I can see the camera well with the blue iris software. However, WD I am having problems.

With the DCS-930L I can use with no problem:
http://192.168.0.21/IMAGE.JPG

Then I try the same thing with the Foscam FI8910w
http://192.168.0.25/IMAGE.JPG

the IP addresss are the respective cameras and the .25 just won’t click with WD.

I then left everything as with the working setup. went into the 2nd webcam set up and tried it there and of course it won’t work.

So my options are, unless I figure it out by accident. Leave things alone. Have the Blue Iris either upload the image and wmv to my site independently or having the general ftp snag the items and put them on the site.

The big disadvantage is that the BI is survelliance software and the wmv files are huge, where as WD will break those down into smaller chunks which are better, then archive yesterdays before going in and creating a new video.

What I am noticing is the foscam image is better and I like the pan/tilt.

If you put that http://192.168.0.25/IMAGE.JPG into your browser do you see an image? If your browser can’t see in then neither can WD.

no, it doesn’t do anything.
Now if I do the IP that works, I get the log in page for the D-link camera asking for the user name/pw

Netcamviewer is a good app for ip cameras. I use it with my panasonic bl140 and it’s great. Never failed on me. Best of all it’s free. Search for netcamviewer in app store. All one word.

I have a viewer but am trying to connect to the camera so WD can grab the images. The camera works. I have it’s IP address, but I am betting that since it doesn’t show up on my computer network and a lot of what Foscam does is to send images to an off site address such as no-ip.com, I might have to see if I can access it from there other than trying to get WD to grab the IP address.

My plan is then to take the present IP camera and have it do other things in the house, such as watch the dogs in the living room when I am at my desk or away.

Try logging in then view the source for the page and see what link the software is using to access the image…that’s what you want to use in WD.

I think I am going to bite the bullet and use the Blue Iris to capture the video and send it to my site until I get this figured out.

They have me going to no-ip.com as a remote site, plus extra software to do that and I am trying to only have WD working .

What I am not understanding as if they are a wireless IP camera, yet I see the IP address on my modem, and I can access it through the Blue Iris software using that ip address, but it isn’t playing nice with WD.

So I am going to write some more emails and tear some hair out … and see what flies.

I don’t think I understood you’re wanting video…what I did was as I explained, I had WD capturing a still image, and that worked fine. For video, the webcam I used had a built-in webserver for the video, seemed easier than trying to integrate with WD and the associated overhead on the WD machine. WD uses a lot of horsepower to manage the video. If you cam has the built-in server you might want to consider doing it the same way.

That is what I am thinking I need to do. Right now weighing between what I have and what I want to have. I am experimenting. That is seeing if the web capture will send what I want it to and then bypass WD . WD isn’t capturing the image. I figured a workaround was to have it capture it from my website and the other option was to have WD under general FTP settings grab the image and send it .
On the good news, The programmable thermostat is installed and now I can figure out how to program that. The wife is irritated over the whole thing. Love, isn’t it grand.

Can you login to the cam with your browser? If you can, do you see an image or video? View the source code of that page and look for the URL address it’s using for the image/video. Copy/paste that URL into another browser window and see if you get the image. If it works, then try using that same URL in WD. If you’re not sure paste the source code here and we can take a look see.

Add: Reference this thread shows how I set mine up. http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/420538

That did it. I just changed the IP and port. I am going to let it run a while and then change all the settings back.

I bookmarked that url… it needs to go into the wiki.

With the Foscam, I can’t see the camera as I do with the Dlink, it must be a bit different than something easy.

Good deal, glad you got it working.

What I don’t care for the Foscam is that to be able to see what is on that camera, I have to go with no-ip.com and then from there, any app for the phone has to go through that. The other thing is that with the Dlink IP cameras, I can see them on the Network for my PC, but with this, it is either hidden or doesn’t play that way.

I had to take my wife to the airport this morning about 3 am… She is going to a meeting at Berkeley on critical thinking, and I opted to stay at home with the dogs. (see the picture, they are in the kitchen waiting for my wife, it is going to be a long wait) After she went to the security grope and feel place I went back home. fired up the app (as I was at the airport and the WIFI interface wouldn’t be interfering with what is) and I could see the image for the Foscam, However, what is needed to make access is that BI has to be working and then No-IP DUC which is a port forwarding thing has to be on board and with all that, I am tempted to go with a different site and pay the 20 bucks for their access and no code.

In any case we are working, I appreciate the assistance. Considering all the IP cameras out there perhaps keeping a list or something in the WDisplay wiki for oddball IP cameras that won’t play nice.

Kitchen.20120720_115421.jpg