Gauge rendering issue with Opera running on Ubuntu

I don’t use Opera or Linux myself but one of my users has found a problem with the rendering of the gauges when running Opera on Linux Ubuntu. He says it’s fine running Firefox or Opera on Windows.

Basically what happens is after a few automatic refreshes, the reflective section of some of the gauge glass faces “whites out” obscuring the dials & data underneath whilst others remain visible. Apparently the dials are legible when the page is first opened.

I have no idea here but said I’d see if I can find a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Simon, it is a bug I introduced in to the SteelSeries library at some point, the newer versions on Github have fixed this, so you can use that copy. I really should have released an updated copy of the cut down ‘weather’ version of the library, but never got around to it - too busy working on version 2 of the weather gauges :frowning:

https://github.com/HanSolo/SteelSeries-Canvas

Great thanks Mark. Can you remind me which files I need from there? Been a long time since my installation!

Looking forward to V2!

Cheers,

You just need the steelseries-min.js file, but there is a problem with the Github server whereby the minimised file cannot be downloaded for some reason. So I suggest you download the archive zip file and extract just the minimised file you need.

https://github.com/HanSolo/SteelSeries-Canvas/zipball/master

Edit: Actually, it looks like they have fixed it now, you can download the minimised file direct.

Mark, the file there is steelseries-min.js. whereas the one on my webserver is steelseries.min.js.

Should I simply rename it with a . replacing the - prior to upload?

Regards,

Yep, just rename it - I’ll see about uploading an updated ‘weather’ version later, the file size will be smaller.

OK, cheers Mark.

I’ve updated the file & my user informs me that the problem is improved but not solved. He says the dials still white out but more slowly now.

Regards,

Odd, I’ll have another look at the code…

Any more thoughts on this Mark? Ive attached a couple of screenshots he sent me - the first before the update and the second afterwards.

Here’s the second screenshot…

I have had another quick look at the code and the only thing I can think of is that version of the Opera browser is not honouring the convention that a canvas should be ‘cleared’ if either or both of its dimensions are reset. In the SS library, the foreground buffer ‘canvas’ is cleared before it is redrawn by the following code:

foregroundBuffer.width = size;
                foregroundBuffer.height = size;

The spec says…

When the canvas element is created, [b]and subsequently whenever the width and height attributes are set (whether to a new value or to the previous value)[/b], the bitmap and any associated contexts must be cleared back to their initial state and reinitialized with the newly specified coordinate space dimensions.

When the canvas is initialized, its bitmap must be cleared to transparent black.

I could try making a test version of library that includes a specific command to clear the buffer and see if that works?

Thanks Mark, but only one user has reported this so I wouldn’t lose sleep over it!

Regards,

Tell 'em to switch to a decent browser! :wink:

Ha ha, my sentiments entirely! Watch the Opera & Ubuntu officionados flame us now!

Mark,

Just to let you know he has emailed me today to say that a recent update of Opera has solved the problem.

Thanks, as usual, for your help with this.

Thanks for letting me know - I was pretty sure I had fixed my code. Doing some work on gauges 2.0 today, its looking quite a bit faster to load :smiley:

Looking forward to it!