Thunderstorm photos from Darwin, Australia

A collection of photos I took while living just inland from Darwin. Cheers.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a114/koman12/

Wow! Amazing images, nice job.

I commented on the photos yesterday, and asked a question about how the photographer was able to capture lightning images because I have failed miserably when I try. I came back today hoping for an answer and to go through more of this thread as it’s what interested me in signing up. When I found this forum it was close to 4 AM my time so I didn’t get a chance to see much.

My comment and account were deleted. I belong to several forums and realize the need to weed out spammers, but you might be a little quick on the trigger finger around here. My post wasn’t your typical one-liner that most spammers use. It wasn’t off-topic like so many bots post. It was a comment and question related to the sub-forum and specifically about the content of thread. You might give a fellow a chance before presuming they are a spammer. I assure you I am not.

The only reason I can think of that you thought I might be would be because I took advantage of the provided option to link to my site in my profile. Isn’t that what it’s for? If not, why provide it? I’ve been using forums for 15 years. Using what’s provided doesn’t make me a spammer, it makes me knowledgeable. I’m generally considered a useful member at the forums I belong to … which is saying I try to contribute to the well-being of the forum.

Now, having said all that in hopes you won’t delete my account again, I’d still like to know how the OP captured the lightning images. Is there a trick to photographing lightning. I use a Canon digital camera. I’m open to tips, book recommendations, online tutorials, whatever … I just want to learn how to do it.

generally you need a camera on a tripod where you set say a 30 second exposure and then have the shutter switch on a lead to a button
and you keep on clicking that button, i.e taking lots of photos…and hopefully you get lucky and take a photo when there was lightning occuring in that 30 second window…if a good storm then you might get 3 strikes captured in that 30 seconds

something like that