Blue screen of death

Hi,

I have a relatively new Davis vp2 running using weather link via a serial cable with serial to USB connection. I am running the latest version of we’d on an aver aspire one netbook with windows 7 starter service pack 1. Over the last few days I have been getting the dreaded bsod. When it happens I get the error message "driver Lrqa not less or equal. When wd restarts it has lost its settings and reverts to the out of the box defaults. I have reinstalled windows, updated all the drivers, bought a new serial to USB adaptor.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Does it sound like a netbook problem or a Davis logger problem?

Any help much appreciated…

Paul

I would use the BSOD reader from Nisoft and try to find the file that is causing the BSOD.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

2 things stand out…one, that WD is not retaining it’s settings. Makes it sound like WD is not able to write to it’s ini file. Make sure WD has permissions to write to it’s install directory. Second, the error, sounds like it may be a driver issue with the serial-to-usb device. I would make sure you have the latest driver and that it is W7 compatible.

I was thinking it was a driver issue. As such I replaced the serial adaptor witha new one and updated the driver. The driver is the latest available according to decide manager and according to the cd is windows 7 compatible. I am logged into the machine as administrator do everything should be read and write accessible. Is there anything else to try? Would it be worth trying the USB logger to elliminate the adapter? These problems only happened since I got the Davis…

Where is WD located on the Notebook, is it direct on the C: drive or in the programs folder?

When I first purchased the Win7 computer I was also getting the BSOD. Narrowed it down to the usb logitech pro 9000 webcam. I had used it for a year on the old computer with out issue. Dell ever sent out a replacement computer and the same BSOD popped up. Others here are using the pro 9000 on Win7 with out any issues. I can use other usb webcams with out issue on the Win7 and other computers can use the pro 9000 with out issue also. Just the combination of that webcam and this computer doesn’t work. :scratch: So this was a good reason to upgrade to an IP cam. :wink:

I was wondering this also.

I don’t have any webcam installed intact the only external device plugged in is the data logger. Weather display is ocated on c:\ not in the program directory. Used the bsod tool in the earlier post and it narrowed it down to a kernel memory error with the offending file being a Microsoft driver wdf01000.sys. Phoned up acer and they think it might be a CPU problem. I am not convinced. What do people think given the driver error code. The bsod error was a driver lrqa not equal error. I hope someone can help. Paul

Motherboard or memory is usually what that error indicates.

All,

I did upgrade the RAM, trying to isolate the problem I put the 1gb RAM back in and it still blue screens. In that case I guess it could be the motherboard. Do people think it worth sending back to the manufacturer as its still under warranty. I was thinking it was probably logger/adapter related?

Paul

Hi

I’ve been using a Logitech 9000 with my Windows7 Professional and Ultimate computers without issue for sometime. I would suspect also a motherboard or memory issue so I would suggest a return to base sounds like a pretty good idea.

A client of mine has returned his Acer desktop back to the vendors twice now, and both times the motherboards were replaced because they were faulty. Both were suffering the BSOD syndrome.

Regards

Richard

Update: ran weather link on its own yesterday and no bsod crashes. Tried weather display and it crashed again in a few hours. Seems to be something that weather display is doing that is causing a problem with the wdf01000.sys driver and the kernel mode runtime error. (driver irql not less or equal

Lots more bsod’s. Too g to contact prodata this morning to see if they can chafe serial logger for a USB one. Lots of people I talk to seem to think it sounds like a diver issue.

Has any other Davis user had problems with serial to USB adapters?

Paul

Hi.

I’ve just done a bit of reading up on wdf01000.sys and apparently some malware can masquerade as wdf01000.sys…so I read. Try running the malwarebytes program (you can download it from CNET) and is free and see if it detects this or any other item that shouldn’t be there. It’s a brilliant bit of software anyway to mop up bits and pieces that can get through internet security sometimes. You could also download a prog called Process explorer from piriform (again free) and this shows very graphically all the processes going on and if any item is using more resources than it should be.

Good luck

You could try a RS232 PCI card so that you eliminate the serial-USB adaptor and connect direct to the motherboard.

Hi

Just another thought…and I don’t know the machine you are using or the software, but I just wonder if the paging file is setup properly (don’t know if you can set it in your version OS. Any computer will struggle under duress if the values set are lower than the memory available. Apologies if this confuses the situation, but just another idea.

Thanks so much for everyone’s help. Not made much progress.

1. spoke to pro data who were really good but did not think that a USB logger would be any different from the serial one, and may even be worse. They suggested I removed the mains power and moved the netbook away from main power incase there was any interference. All now done. They also recommended turning off some of the FTP options incase that is causing blue screens.

2. I have run the malware programme and it didn’t find anything suspicious

3. serial card looks good, but unfortunately I am running a netbook so no room to install one

4. how do you change the paging file setup and what should it be setup for?

At this stage I am desperate as all avenues seem to be dead ends

Paul

Hi Paul

Here is a way to increase the Virtual memory or Page file on your Windows 7 Computer :

Richard,

Thanks fir the info. Just checked the paging file size and it is set to the same size as the RAM that I havevinstalledcso have left alone. I have so far only had one bsod in 1.5 days and the pc nicely rebooted itself with no problems. fingers crossed that continues…but I doubt it. After almost 10 years of using weather display and pc I am at a loss with this one. I have tried everything! Only thing left is to try a different pc, which I don’t have access to and can’t afford to buy one!

Thanks for everyone’s help

Paul

HI,

I had some time to worries of a bluescreen will all I solved
my concerns by updating all the drivers on the computer, since I
it was no longer under my graphics card the problem.
my computer is acer 5742G with Windows 7 64-bit.

regrads,

Emmanuel