Laser Sensor for Snow Depth Sensing

This is intriguing Mikey. Looks like you have the chance for a lot of snow over the coming weeks.

I was leaning toward a MaxBotix high resolution outdoor sensor with temp compensation http://www.maxbotix.com/Ultrasonic_Sensors/MB7389.htm but I’m curious about the laser now. Do you have any charts between the 2 sensors to see how they perform comparatively for the same event?

Bonjour dendrite,
De loin, apr

I have the LR4 on the way, should be here monday. Already have the 414D and active usb. Is there a how-to here somewhere? I’ve looked but haven’t found anything yet.

rick

HI Rick

Good point on the how to do. In the Dallas 1-wire reader under the “other settings” tab you need to check “Enabled” under the title “Lazer Range Finder Snow Depth” after your initial reading shows up you need to set that value in the “Offset” setting. As you can see in the screenshot my offset is 153 cm. Also “check” the “Enabled to calculate current snow depth”. All this has to be done with only the Dallas 1-wire reading running. Make sure the WD is closed when you do this. After you have done that go to the “Main setup” tab of the 1-wire reader and “click” the “Save/Reset” button. Close the Dallas 1-wire reader and restart WD which will automatically start the Dallas 1-wire reader. Disregard the settings that are “grayed out” as they are for the ultrasonic sensor as I actually have both hooked up, but the laser is the only one that will provide input to WD if you have the laser “enabled”.

Hope this helps. Good luck it’s a great project. Feel free to PM me is you need any additional info. We have seen some problems at very low temperatures as the 414D is only rated to a min temp of 32 deg F (o C), so I’m in the process of adding a automotive bulb (1157) with a small thermostat to keep it from getting to warm.

BTW the support from Porcupine Electronics has been OUTSTANDING.

Cheers

:smiley:

MikeyM

ScreenShot053.png

Hi Mike,

The Laser Fluke 411D/LR3 is doing a great job here. Very accurate …

Cheers, :smiley:

Jeff

http://indiantrailweather.com
Hessville, NY - USA

mikeym

“Hope this helps. Good luck it’s a great project. Feel free to PM me is you need any additional info. We have seen some problems at very low temperatures as the 414D is only rated to a min temp of 32 deg F (o C), so I’m in the process of adding a automotive bulb (1157) with a small thermostat to keep it from getting to warm”

Hello,
For the history of temperature, I solved the problem in a camera housing with heater thermostat.
I noticed that from -8

This looks interesting, do you know if it is possible to measure water depth with it too?

Got the lr4 414d and cables now to install. I’m thinking about using plumbing heat tape to keep it all above freezing.

rick

Fluke thinks that’s a good idea see http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/community/fluke-news-plus/ArticleCategories/Electrical/101AppForDistanceMeters.htm

Wow that’s really useful, thanks!

Rick

Installed the LR4/Fluke 414D last night just before the snow and it performed perfectly. We received 4.2 inches overnight. The LR4 / Fluke 414D mod is far superior to the LR3 / Fluke 411D. No cable bending and shoving and tucking like the LR3/Fluke 411D.

Good luck with the project.

Cheers

MikeyM

I hope to get at it tomorrow. I bought 3 feet of heater tape today for inside the box. The only trouble is they say it is a torx T8 to unscrew the meter but the one I bought today is too large so it must be a T7 or T6. It is snowing here now and due to snow several more times this week so I’ll soon find out how well it works.

rick

Rick

It’s a #6 torx. All Porcupines instructions are incorrect. I keep meaning to send Richard a note and I keep forgetting. If you live near a Sears store they have nice torx for I think $3.99.

Cheers

MikeyM

Thanks MikeyM. I went outside on Wed. to blow some snow and get ready for the install and slipped on the ice. I’ve never been this sore in my life!!! X-rays show no broken ribs but I’d swear everyone was broken. It was all I could do to type this.

rick

Yikes Rick sorry to hear that!

8O

Cheers

MikeyM

Darn near killed myself yesterday but I think I have the sensor installed and working correctly. Are the php graphs for snow available? If it is where can I grab a copy?

thanks
rick

Hey Guys,

Been very intrigued by this project. I read the specs and it seems that the cold weather may affect the readings some.

Has anyone been having issues with the cold affecting the readings?

-Dennis

I glued a 3 foot piece of heater tape on the inside of the box and haven’t had any problems. It’s been quite cold here zero deg F and colder lately. I’m using the lr4 and 414d

rick

Hi

I’m using an 1157 automotive bulb in my enclosure with a button type thermostat and haven’t had any problems. I added the heater as the Fluke 411D and 414D are only rated down to 32 def F (0 deg C). My enclosure temperatures can be seen at:

http://mikeymsweather.com/extrarealtimegraph.gif

Cheers

MikeyM

Thanks Guys I will probably go with a similar design to what I am using in my rain gauge (just with a little less power).

Still debating if I am going to install it this year or next year…

-Dennis