Laser Sensor for Snow Depth Sensing

thought of somethingā€¦ you need a cone or a shield around the unit to prevent wet snow or ice accumulating around the laser or sensorā€¦ same issue with WD wind cups, they tend to freeze with wet snow . The drip shields are crap that come with it but maybe this summer when I am retired Iā€™ll explore options for a drip shield that is much biggerā€¦

There is no problem with snow accumulating about the sensor as itā€™s mounted several feet off the ground and pointed downward and the Fluke 411D/414D or 419D are mounted in a waterproof enclosure with only about a 1 inch opening for the laser and led pointer to pass thru. Iā€™ll see if I can get a picture shrunk down enough to post. If not Iā€™ll PM you one.

Ops Laser sensor is the one on the right.

Cheers

:santa: :reindeer:

MikeyM

that is extra cool. We got about 12 inches and I had to wade outside in the drift to brush off the snow from the snow stickā€¦ your item would have been great to have.

Thanks Brian.

Cant find Lazer snow info/setup Brian, have WD vers 45 installed.
can you point me to the correct tab on my photo??

Bjorn

The laser settings are in the 1-wire reader ā€œother settingsā€ tab.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

:santa: :reindeer:

MikeyM

ScreenShot082.png

thanks alot MikeyM. :smiley:

Found the dallas Reader in wd folder and open it from there. :slight_smile:

didnt find in setupā€¦

dallas.GIF

This is intriguing Mikey. Looks like you have the chance for a lot of snow over the coming weeks.

I was leaning toward a MaxBotix high resolution outdoor sensor with temp compensation http://www.maxbotix.com/Ultrasonic_Sensors/MB7389.htm but Iā€™m curious about the laser now. Do you have any charts between the 2 sensors to see how they perform comparatively for the same event?

Bonjour dendrite,
De loin, apr

I have the LR4 on the way, should be here monday. Already have the 414D and active usb. Is there a how-to here somewhere? Iā€™ve looked but havenā€™t found anything yet.

rick

HI Rick

Good point on the how to do. In the Dallas 1-wire reader under the ā€œother settingsā€ tab you need to check ā€œEnabledā€ under the title ā€œLazer Range Finder Snow Depthā€ after your initial reading shows up you need to set that value in the ā€œOffsetā€ setting. As you can see in the screenshot my offset is 153 cm. Also ā€œcheckā€ the ā€œEnabled to calculate current snow depthā€. All this has to be done with only the Dallas 1-wire reading running. Make sure the WD is closed when you do this. After you have done that go to the ā€œMain setupā€ tab of the 1-wire reader and ā€œclickā€ the ā€œSave/Resetā€ button. Close the Dallas 1-wire reader and restart WD which will automatically start the Dallas 1-wire reader. Disregard the settings that are ā€œgrayed outā€ as they are for the ultrasonic sensor as I actually have both hooked up, but the laser is the only one that will provide input to WD if you have the laser ā€œenabledā€.

Hope this helps. Good luck itā€™s a great project. Feel free to PM me is you need any additional info. We have seen some problems at very low temperatures as the 414D is only rated to a min temp of 32 deg F (o C), so Iā€™m in the process of adding a automotive bulb (1157) with a small thermostat to keep it from getting to warm.

BTW the support from Porcupine Electronics has been OUTSTANDING.

Cheers

:smiley:

MikeyM

ScreenShot053.png

Hi Mike,

The Laser Fluke 411D/LR3 is doing a great job here. Very accurate ā€¦

Cheers, :smiley:

Jeff

http://indiantrailweather.com
Hessville, NY - USA

mikeym

ā€œHope this helps. Good luck itā€™s a great project. Feel free to PM me is you need any additional info. We have seen some problems at very low temperatures as the 414D is only rated to a min temp of 32 deg F (o C), so Iā€™m in the process of adding a automotive bulb (1157) with a small thermostat to keep it from getting to warmā€

Hello,
For the history of temperature, I solved the problem in a camera housing with heater thermostat.
I noticed that from -8

This looks interesting, do you know if it is possible to measure water depth with it too?

Got the lr4 414d and cables now to install. Iā€™m thinking about using plumbing heat tape to keep it all above freezing.

rick

Fluke thinks thatā€™s a good idea see http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/community/fluke-news-plus/ArticleCategories/Electrical/101AppForDistanceMeters.htm

Wow thatā€™s really useful, thanks!

Rick

Installed the LR4/Fluke 414D last night just before the snow and it performed perfectly. We received 4.2 inches overnight. The LR4 / Fluke 414D mod is far superior to the LR3 / Fluke 411D. No cable bending and shoving and tucking like the LR3/Fluke 411D.

Good luck with the project.

Cheers

MikeyM

I hope to get at it tomorrow. I bought 3 feet of heater tape today for inside the box. The only trouble is they say it is a torx T8 to unscrew the meter but the one I bought today is too large so it must be a T7 or T6. It is snowing here now and due to snow several more times this week so Iā€™ll soon find out how well it works.

rick

Rick

Itā€™s a #6 torx. All Porcupines instructions are incorrect. I keep meaning to send Richard a note and I keep forgetting. If you live near a Sears store they have nice torx for I think $3.99.

Cheers

MikeyM

Thanks MikeyM. I went outside on Wed. to blow some snow and get ready for the install and slipped on the ice. Iā€™ve never been this sore in my life!!! X-rays show no broken ribs but Iā€™d swear everyone was broken. It was all I could do to type this.

rick