Laser Sensor for Snow Depth Sensing

(Sorry it is about a translator)
Hello,
I installed my Laser Sensor for Snow Depth Fluke 411D and I am really satisfied true a wonder for the precision and to date no problem.
Thank you in Brian with Jean-Robert and mikeym to have helped me.
Serge
http://www.localsat.net
Actuellement : 112 cm

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/localsat

The new LR4 will not work with the 411D. So look for an almost triple price increase on both the newer fluke and the LR4.

Mark

The 414D isn’t a lot more expensive than the 411D, hopefully the interface is priced similar to the old one.

If I had enough snow to measure I would be tempted to tinker with one of these Chinese USB interfaced ones. It does appear to be a true laser instrument, I have seen the ultrasonic ones that have a built in laser pointer sold as “laser” but I think this is a real one.

From what I’ve seen from Porcupine Electroinics the LR4 will be the same price as the LR3 and the price for the Fluke 414D as low as 112.49 only $13 more than the 411D. With that said I just checked Porcupine’s website and they are not quoting a new price for the LR4 yet. Yes, the Flukes are true laser instruments and are working much better with light fluffy snow than the ultrasonic sensor that I’ve been working with for the past 6 years or so. I’ll see if I can get a quote on the LR4 price from Richard @ Porcupine.

Cheers

:x-mas: :reindeer:

MikeyM

How much was the LR3?

$149.00 I have email on the way requesting the price and availability of the LR4.

Cheers

:x-mas: :reindeer:

MikeyM

Here’s the latest from Richard @ Porcupine Electronics. So it looks like it will cost about $13 more for the LR4 and Fluke 414D versus the previous LR3 / Fluke 411D setup. The difference being the cost of the Fluke 414D

"
Mikey,
The LR4 will be $149, the same price as the LR3. It will be ready to ship on Jan 7.
Thanks,
Richard"

Cheers

:smiley:

MikeyM

Hi.

where in WD can i find the setup for this?? cant find it.
Also reg the New type fluke 414D and LR4 is compatible With WD??

see under setup, advanced/misc…lazer snow…

thought of something… you need a cone or a shield around the unit to prevent wet snow or ice accumulating around the laser or sensor… same issue with WD wind cups, they tend to freeze with wet snow . The drip shields are crap that come with it but maybe this summer when I am retired I’ll explore options for a drip shield that is much bigger…

There is no problem with snow accumulating about the sensor as it’s mounted several feet off the ground and pointed downward and the Fluke 411D/414D or 419D are mounted in a waterproof enclosure with only about a 1 inch opening for the laser and led pointer to pass thru. I’ll see if I can get a picture shrunk down enough to post. If not I’ll PM you one.

Ops Laser sensor is the one on the right.

Cheers

:santa: :reindeer:

MikeyM

that is extra cool. We got about 12 inches and I had to wade outside in the drift to brush off the snow from the snow stick… your item would have been great to have.

Thanks Brian.

Cant find Lazer snow info/setup Brian, have WD vers 45 installed.
can you point me to the correct tab on my photo??

Bjorn

The laser settings are in the 1-wire reader “other settings” tab.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

:santa: :reindeer:

MikeyM

ScreenShot082.png

thanks alot MikeyM. :smiley:

Found the dallas Reader in wd folder and open it from there. :slight_smile:

didnt find in setup…

dallas.GIF

This is intriguing Mikey. Looks like you have the chance for a lot of snow over the coming weeks.

I was leaning toward a MaxBotix high resolution outdoor sensor with temp compensation http://www.maxbotix.com/Ultrasonic_Sensors/MB7389.htm but I’m curious about the laser now. Do you have any charts between the 2 sensors to see how they perform comparatively for the same event?

Bonjour dendrite,
De loin, apr

I have the LR4 on the way, should be here monday. Already have the 414D and active usb. Is there a how-to here somewhere? I’ve looked but haven’t found anything yet.

rick

HI Rick

Good point on the how to do. In the Dallas 1-wire reader under the “other settings” tab you need to check “Enabled” under the title “Lazer Range Finder Snow Depth” after your initial reading shows up you need to set that value in the “Offset” setting. As you can see in the screenshot my offset is 153 cm. Also “check” the “Enabled to calculate current snow depth”. All this has to be done with only the Dallas 1-wire reading running. Make sure the WD is closed when you do this. After you have done that go to the “Main setup” tab of the 1-wire reader and “click” the “Save/Reset” button. Close the Dallas 1-wire reader and restart WD which will automatically start the Dallas 1-wire reader. Disregard the settings that are “grayed out” as they are for the ultrasonic sensor as I actually have both hooked up, but the laser is the only one that will provide input to WD if you have the laser “enabled”.

Hope this helps. Good luck it’s a great project. Feel free to PM me is you need any additional info. We have seen some problems at very low temperatures as the 414D is only rated to a min temp of 32 deg F (o C), so I’m in the process of adding a automotive bulb (1157) with a small thermostat to keep it from getting to warm.

BTW the support from Porcupine Electronics has been OUTSTANDING.

Cheers

:smiley:

MikeyM

ScreenShot053.png

Hi Mike,

The Laser Fluke 411D/LR3 is doing a great job here. Very accurate …

Cheers, :smiley:

Jeff

http://indiantrailweather.com
Hessville, NY - USA