Steelseries Gauges for WD

working great here too
http://www.weather-display.com/windy/gb/gauges-ss.html
(just a test , proof of concept page)
:slight_smile:

If you take a close look at the row in the middle, it is slightly off to the left compared to the other rows.
I am having the same problem and I can’t figure out why.
I fixed it with adding &nbsp in the code but I don’t know if this is the right way to do.
Does anyone know how to fix this properly?

Hi Mark,

Trouble in gaugesville (please see attachment)…

From the top down, the forecast and time are frozen as shown. The 3 gauges in the first row appear to be correctly recording changes. However, wind speed and direction are frozen at N and 000 (which does correspond to the physical position on the equipment), and according to my local WD graph there has not been any actual change in this for over 2 hours (I think this is the key - see note below). Wind rose dial is missing completely, and hovering over the empty spot (or over any gauge for that matter) shows an empty ‘?’ graph window. Baro is correct, but both solar and UV show 0, which is incorrect because the sun is up (so much for the Mayans!) and the VP2 console is showing non-zero readings for both.

As I was typing this there was a wind speed ‘burst’ of 1 mph along with a few degrees change in direction. The second that happened everything on the gauges page came back to life, including the reappearance of the rose. Wind speed has gone back to 0, but the direction is still the new 009.

So - does this mean that after a prolonged period of no wind activity at all the gauges go to sleep? :roll: Possible bug?

Thanks!

Of course now I look at your site you have some wind! #-o Go and stick your finger in the anemometer for half an hour will you :lol:

Actually was thinking about doing just that. However, maybe this will help. Next week (2 at the most) the whole thing is going back to Davis for the refurb, so there ain’t gonna be any speed or direction for more than half an hour!

Will that help?? :roll:

One more thing, are you using the default units that are coded in the page when it fails? (

Hi Mark,
I have the WD steelgauges working at this location. I do notice that the wind direction dial has an “A” after the the direction in degrees in both the average and the current wind direction. Here is the link: http://macungieweather.net/a/wxabout.php

Ortherwise, thank you for sharing such a great script!

Mike

The SteelSeries gauges use UTF-8 for the character set, and the templates use ISO-8859-1.

If you change that page from

$showGizmo = true;  // set to false to exclude the gizmo
include("top.php");
############################################################################

to

$showGizmo = true;  // set to false to exclude the gizmo
$SITE['charset'] = 'UTF-8';
include("top.php");
############################################################################

the gauges will display correctly.

This will work on a page that uses ISO-8859-1 as the default character set and English , but will likely have unexpected results in non-English pages.

Best regards,
Ken

[quote author=mcrossley link=topic=54749.msg459628#msg459628 date=1356197857]
One more thing, are you using the default units that are coded in the page when it fails? (

Ken,
Thank you. The UTF-8 insert worked perfectly!

Mike

I think this should be the first FAQ on the SS Wiki page :wink:

Thanks for the updated script, Mark. They’re looking really good, but I’m having a problem getting the WindRose to occupy the same page space as the rest of the gauges. Somehow the canvas that is created for it is 261x265px rather than the standard 201x205px for my gauges specified as 191px rather than 221px in gauges.js. Nothing I do seems to affect the page space the WindRose occupies, although the gauge itself is ‘right-sized’.

Second problem is a little more obscure, and probably mine to sort out. I’ve tried to incorporate my 1 Hr. and 3 Hr. WindRoses of v 1.6.x into the v2 gauges, but while I’ve succeeded in getting the additional gauges to show up, I’ve not succeeded in getting the remainder of the foreground and the data to display. As usual it requires running all of the functions in windrose.js in triplicate as well as trebling the WindRose-related lines in gauges.js, all with appropriate renaming of course. I struggled the most yesterday just getting around a tooltip problem until I found the ‘i’ that your documentation references. Obviously I still have a ways to go here…I’ve attached my modified gauges.js and windrose.js if you care to have a look when you get time, Mark.

gauges-windrose.zip (26.6 KB)

Mark,

Having the same problem as yesterday with a couple changes…

• Forecast line IS running
  • Seconds countdown is frozen
  • Temp, Dew, and Hum appear OK
  • Wind speed IS indicating
  • Direction is frozen at N (slight change in direction about 2 hours ago that changed back to N about 1 hour ago)
  • Rose is again missing
  • Baro is incorrect
  • UV and Solar are again both wrong at zero

If the Sciatica will allow it I’ll go up and check the wind vane. That whole assembly was replaced about a year ago with the new design units from Davis, so I really don’t think it’s a mechanical problem.

http://tiggrweather.net/wxgauges.php

Thanks!

jgillett:
I dont see uv or solar on zero or N for wind direction or a problem with barometer
when I view your site
http://tiggrweather.net/wxgauges.php

Brian (and Mark),

Just as I was setting up the ladder to go up a very slight breeze moved the vane off N. Came back inside immediately and all gauges were again working normally. Went up anyway - both the vane and cups feel perfectly smooth in their operation, no grittiness or sticking points.

So - the only thing now common between yesterday and today is wind direction not changing at all for an hour or so. Then things stop displaying, and, in the case of the rose, go away completely. Turns out my earlier post was incorrect in that Temp, Dew, and Hum were also incorrect. Brian, the baro was incorrect because, while it did have a display, it was not the same as what was showing on the console.

Thanks!

so where there is no wind for a long time, it causes some problem in the data feed?
(you would need to look at the differences in the data feed when that happens)

hello…

Great Script and Very Nice looking Gauges…I have mine now working here:

http://www.gateway2capecod.com/gauges-ss.php

Thanks…Chris

Unknown at this time, Brian. As mentioned, within 2 weeks the unit is already scheduled to go back to Davis for the refurb, so that will force ‘no wind’ conditions. If not before, will definitely check then.

Without actually catching this error happening, I suspect it may be something to do with the wind-rose array when al the values are zero. If I artificially supply a wind-rose array with all zeros the script still works, so maybe WD is sending some non-zero values (like for instance ‘calm’)when there hasn’t been any wind for an hour?

Will let you know when I catch the next ‘burp’, Mark.

Thanks!