Steelseries Gauges for WD

After many hours of testing & tinkering with SteelSeries Gauges, wxgraphs & jpgraph, I have finally managed to get my gauges up and running together with the pop-up graphs…

http://www.spireweather.co.uk/?page_id=2201

I would just like to thank Jacco for starting this thread, and Mark for his unending hard work, and anyone else in this thread and the wxgraphs thread that has helped me out directly or indirectly. This is a fantastic companion to Weather Display that has transformed my site, and I could not have achieved any of this without this forum. =D>

Regards,

Did you remember to comment out the Cumulus custom text file line and uncomment
the WD custom text file in gauges.js? I’ve made that mistake before and got the failed
404 notice.

-Keith

Jack,

Thank you very much, that solved the problem. :lol:

John,

I experienced similar phenomenon before I made the fix suggested by Jack. One time they were there, the next they were gone. I thought that maybe all the php scripts did not finish running for wxgraphs to build the graphs.

Watch out for those headaches, you will make some goofy mistakes like i did :oops:

I hope you get it all straightened out.

Nope. As mentioned above, can’t see that happening on 2 different machines, 2 different OSs, and 4 different browsers. Besides, I cleared the caches. And, as mentioned below, it just started working by itself. I know, I know… :?

Jack,

Still have the headache, but at least it’s working.

Excellent! :smiley:

Jack

Just a couple of question: -

My pop-up graphs look stretched compared to the graphs on my wxgraphs test page. Is there a way to size the images?

Also, especially for us WD users, there is quite a lot of editing of gauges.js each time a new version is released. What is the possibility of having a settings file from which gauges.js gets what it needs, that survives an update? I presume it’s necessary to update ALL the SteelSeries files each update, unless specified otherwise?

EDIT: Another thing I’ve noticed this morning on my iPhone’s small screen is that the pop-ups can be truncated off the side of the web page. See http://www.spireweather.co.uk/?page_id=2201. Is there any way this can be controlled, so that they’re always centred for example?

Thanks,

If you had checked the ddimgtooltip.css, you would have seen:

.tipimg{
width: 438px;
height: 175px;
}

So make your graphs that size, or change the css :smiley:

Jacco

I try and identify in the readme file which files have been updated in each release. If a file isn’t mentioned as ‘updated’ then 99% of the time it hasn’t - occasionally I make a tweak and forget to edit the readme as I go along.

Can you tell me what settings you have to change each time to gauges.js for WD? I understand there is:

• The realtime file (not a lot I can do about that)
  • The graphs location - that varies for each user
  • The graph image names - again unlike Cumulus WD does not have a ‘standard’ set of default images, everybody is rolling their own.

It would be possible to pull out all the ‘settings’ variables from the top of gauges.js and place them in a separate file. I can see the advantage of this, but there are also down sides: it is another file for me to maintain and keep in synch, and it is another file for the browser to download slowing page delivery.

Hopefully (ha! :roll:) the recent rash of releases will stop or at least slow now as the 1.6 version stabilises. A great deal of code changed in 1.6.0 to better accommodate WD. My focus is now drifting to other things for a while - like the core SteelSeries library which I want to improve in a number of ways - and I only intend to bug fix this weather page for the time being (which was always meant to be a demonstration of how you could use the SS library, but sort of grew into something that most people are using almost as-is). Oh and my own gauges page is still stuck back on a 1.5.2beta release! :oops:

Some people on the Cumulus forum are playing around with the linear and thermometer bulb gauges (only available in the full SS library, not the cut down for size version in the gauges-ss zip), and I posted instructions on how to create a Wind ‘Radar’ gauge using the SS library - which a couple people took up and managed to get going.

Thanks Jacco.

I’ve noticed that the download link on your site referenced from post #1 still shows v1.5. It might be worth updating the link to point to SteelSeries Announcenents to avoid confusion for new users.

Cheers,

Simon,

That is because i still use that version, for me it is far more flexible.
There are 2 kinds of users, users that having difficulty enough to install the script, and those who want to adjust it to their own needs.

I did test the latest versions, but for me it was to much trouble “repairing” the script to the version i like.
For example the solar gauge, i’d like to have the max. possible solar reading as the max scale, i don’t want a 1400 w/m2 scale in winter when we have 300 w/m2 max.
The same for the windspeed, i don’t like the maxgust in the same gauge as the average 10 min windspeed. Changing the colors of sections etc etc.
And i think that is the most interesting part of the script, you can choose the tags in the ccr you like to show, choose the colors, the parameters.

For me there are far to many updates, don’t have the time to adjust everything each time to what i like :wink:

But i can imagine there are a lot of people happy with the hard work of Mark. :smiley:

Jacco

Yeah, saw that but that was not the cause.
Stupid me :oops:, ran over the script many times but didn’t notice missing a / between folder and customclientraw.txt
Working now.

That sorted the graph size. How do I now reduce the window size to reduce the white space around the graph, but obviously with enough room for the graph & data?

Cheers,

Simon

In ddimgtooltip.css

.ddimgtooltip{
  padding: 0 7px 3px 7px;

controls the space between the graph and the border.

You will probably want to play around with the gauge colour schemes as well to fit in better with your ‘black’ theme. :wink:

Hi,

I noticed when popping up text on the dial for windspeed, the abbreviation for winddirection is still in English, no dutch translation.
The same for the barometer dial, trend “falling” has no translation.
I cannot see what the result for steady and rising is at the moment.

How can I fix that?

TIA

Do you think? I had a play & developed some blacked themed gauges, but I felt they weren’t as clear & easy to read, so I decided to stick with your standard ones. Maybe I’ll have another look.

Check in languages.js - the changeLang() function
Line 818 should read:

if (gauge_wdir) {
		gauge_wdir.setPointSymbols(LANG.compass);
        g_dir.titles = [LANG.latest_web, LANG.tenminavg_web];
        gauge_wdir.setLcdTitleStrings(g_dir.titles);
		doDir();
	}

This is what changes the Wind Direction LCD titles.

Also check steelseries.min.js is version 0.10.2b - that version of the library implemented the .setLcdTitleStrings() method - (actually it may have been 0.10.2a)

I may be misunderstanding the timeout counter, but I find it does not work for me. I set a value of
five minutes, but if I leave the window open, no matter how long, the script continues to update.
I’ve even waited an hour, but it continues along on its merry way.

Thoughts?

-Keith

I’m not sure what you have done Keith, but when it reaches the timeout limit, it displays the timeout message, but then the whole page reloads itself!

Ah, I see, in your HTML header you have:

So the page reloads every 300 seconds and of course restarts the timer.