still chugging with FrontPage

for some reason or another, I am still chugging along with Frontpage 2003. I really like it but it has its limitations and so do I .
Last night I wanted to add another page, did it but when I uploaded to Hostmonster, it wouldn’t replace the old page with the new one. Oh I deleted it from both sites, then put it in with a different name and still the old site popped up. Then I got an error message saying port 21 wasn’t going to work.

Finally I modified a different page, deleted what I was fighting all day with and we are good to go.

What I like about Frontpage, is that I do not have to deal with any code other than inserting the WDL stuff and other things that I can do from the design page.

I had sprung for the Expressions and it is way beyond me. It isn’t just one program, but you have a lot of separate component programs before the other one.

Being on a limited budget, and I do mean limited, I am wondering what is really out there for producing a web site that will update with the gifs and things WDisplay sends and just isn’t one of those sites that nothing changes.

At work they use iweb and it sucks, in fact I changed my website to one I have on Hostmoster as I have unlimited space it seems and put my school site there.

What I am looking for is something that will import the Frontpage format, allow me to do everything from the designer page and upload it via ftp and then as I wish, I can change pictures and so forth with little pain in the tush. OH and is cheap.

Except for the price, Dreamweaver would be good for you. The new version is around $400 but I picked up a copy of the older Dreamweaver 8 awhile ago for $100. Googling right now I find http://www.amazon.com/Web-Collection-Revealed-Macromedia-Dreamweaver/dp/B003RV73HC which has Flash and Fireworks included that didn’t come with mine and that’s $95. Maybe shop around for an educational discount and see what pops up.

I seldom use it in design mode, but you could certainly do that and just switch to code when you have to. Once you set it up for your site, it’ll automatically upload your new page each time you do a save. I know that folks who use it like it a lot.

• Jim

Bit the bullet and got Dreamweaver CS5 here. :hello2:
Very nice and I tend to use the code side more as well, although you can have both on the screen if you want.

thats a $95 book – not software… unless i’m confused.

and back in the day – like 10 years ago i used to use Netobjects Fusion 3-8 or so… they are up to 12 now…

You will enjoy Dreamweaver.

Oops, you’re right, that is a doggone book. :oops: Thanks for catching that.

• Jim

Notepad, it’s FREE :lol:

I have the Studio 8 suite which was the last product that Macromedia made before being sold to Adobe. I got it back when I was going to school many years ago and got a good deal since I was able to buy it with a student discount. I seldom use it though as it is outdated to W3C standards. Better to just learn HTML and CSS and code from scratch without having a cheat. Will help you when it comes to debugging layout problems.

i too like MS FP 2003 :slight_smile:

I use Kate or Kwrite the Linux editors, I have always had crafted my web pages because I have always found any of these packages created bloated pages and are tempted to use M$ extensions which in my view should be banned!

Stuart

FP 2003 does not do this as far as i know, although, if you created a site from the inbuilt templates then its possible
but i have never used it this way, most of the pages on my site have been created using FP 2003, albeit most if not
all of them include P Poor coding but thats cause i dont know what im doing :frowning:

I did go to the academic superstore and was able to buy FP2003 the full version and so far it does work. If awful happened Ican also use the stock WD items which are very good too.

400 for a editor is out of my price range… I could almost buy a bolteck for that

For those with Dreamweaver, is it easy to incorporate the various scripts that many use on this forum into a page via Dreamweaver? Many years ago when I tinkered with Frontpage and tried to modify the code it was a real nightmare.

No problem, the scripts read and upload as they are downloaded and with CS5 it also incorporates the CSS into the page view with is easier to see what you’ve made. It may be the same with other versions but I jumped from CS to CS5. :wink:

Kind of reminds me of the story about the flasher.
this flasher felt that in the winter it was too cold. In the summer he was too hot in that trench coat. He thought it was time to quit and try something new. However, thinking about it … he came to the conclusion, considering this choices, he’d stick it out a little longer.

Perhaps until I find something different, I am sticking with FP03. I can’t afford Dreamweaver.