The Hurricane Bar

Well this is just a thought…but in most of the other fourms I belong to we have a specific Thread that we use as a hangout type setting or a bar…so since I can’t see one in this forum I thought we could create one… All are welcome… and here everone is 21…so drink away…
Of course we will need a bartender… :smiley: :lol: 8)

20 years ago I managed what I was told was one of the busiest bars in Britain, so I could do that :drinking:

One quiet Sunday lunchtime I was having a chat with a drayman (a person who delivers beer to pubs) and he said that we took more money at our bar in one 5 hour session (this was before the days of open-all-hours) than some of the pubs he delivered to took in a month!

Ohmigod, major nostalgia attack here, don’t remind me of the UK pubs, drinking here just isn’t the same :cry: :cry: :cry:

and here everone is 21....so drink away....
that is what I am telling the cop if I am pulled over :lol:
20 years ago I managed what I was told was one of the busiest bars in Britain, so I could do that :drinking:
hey, i thought the bartender wasn't supposed to drink... no fun for you :P
drinking here just isn't the same

You could always import some beer from the UK and set up a pub, although I’m not sure if America is ready for real beer yet :wink:

hey, i thought the bartender wasn't supposed to drink... no fun for you :P

The advertised post was ‘bartender’ not ‘drunk propping the bar up’.

We used to wait for our drinks until after we closed up at 11pm and then go to a bar where stars like The Krankies, Russ Abbott and Freddie Star went to drink. That’s probably sent nikoshepherd into another fit of nostalgia :wink:

drinking here just isn't the same

You could always import some beer from the UK and set up a pub, although I’m not sure if America is ready for real beer yet :wink:

Actually there is quite an interest in real (although I’m not sure how real it would be by your standards) beer and small brewing companies here.

Actually there is quite an interest in real (although I'm not sure how real it would be by your standards) beer and small brewing companies here.

I must be fair and admit that I sampled the output of a few micro-breweries when I was working in D.C. The beer was very good…at least a couple of orders of magnitude better than ‘Bud’ :wink:

I must be fair and admit that I sampled the output of a few micro-breweries when I was working in D.C. The beer was very good...at least a couple of orders of magnitude better than 'Bud' :wink:
Well, that wouldn't be difficult. Reminds me of the American beer joke, but I guess I can't tell that here...
I must be fair and admit that I sampled the output of a few micro-breweries when I was working in D.C. The beer was very good...at least a couple of orders of magnitude better than 'Bud' :wink:

Ick.

I prefer dark microbrews… my favorite was Pete’s Wicked Ale Maple Porter (which I don’t think they make anymore) :cry:

Instead Pete’s makes crap like “Strawberry Blonde”.

I hear Belgium beer is really good. Never had any (from Belgium).

Lately, I’ve been on a tequila kick…

I prefer dark microbrews...

You’d probably like what we call ‘mild’ in the UK, but there are a lot of other dark beers too.

I hear Belgium beer is really good. Never had any (from Belgium).

Belgian beer can be a bit odd. Chimay (made by monks in Belgium) is on sale in the UK. It’s a cloudy beer, where the sediment is left in the bottle and intended to be drunk with the beer. The beer tastes OK, but when you’ve been brought up with the view that cloudy beer = bad beer it’s difficult to drink it!

I prefer dark microbrews... my favorite was Pete's Wicked Ale Maple Porter (which I don't think they make anymore) :cry:

Instead Pete’s makes crap like “Strawberry Blonde”.

Pete sold the company 5 or 6 years ago, and now makes chocolate http://www.cocoapetes.com/flash.html

You'd probably like what we call 'mild' in the UK, but there are a lot of other dark beers too.

But show me a good British tequlia! 8) :wink:

I’d love to come over there and try some of the beers someday… and then wine in France… and more beer in Germany… and then the Netherlands for mushrooms :stuck_out_tongue:

the question is, which drink will lead to the most fun. It sounds like beer will lead to drunken brawls. Someone may suggest “island drinks”, but that always lead to “less than man” charges.

I find that Jagermeister leads to much fun :smiley: … i should know, #5 is my school http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/rankings/rankingDetails.asp?categoryID=4&topicID=26 :roll:

well this seems to be a hit already…

Looks like we have our first barteneder… always good to have someone from the UK tending bar…

we will have to find some stored away cases of Pete’s Wicked Ale Maple Porter for nikoshepherd who already looks like he will be a regualr here…

I already have stocked some bottles of Jagermeister and Gold schloger (sorry about the spelling on that one) although I got some bad stories on the Jagermeister so I will stay away from that drink if its straight up… 8O

Well…shall we say we are open for business then…
[/quote]

Well...shall we say we are open for business then........

Under UK law we’ll need to apply for a licence and then there’s the thorny issue of opening hours. You won’t get a 24 hour licence, but if we’ve got to cover drinking from New Zealand to California then that’s what we’ll need. So we probably need a new Act of Parliament to allow 24 hour drinking. Any lawyers or politicians here…or at least anyone that will admit to being a lawyer or a politician :occasion5:

stored away cases of Pete's Wicked Ale Maple Porter for nikoshepherd
No, no, that's carterlake's favorite. I did find some online so it may still be available (or it could be a seasonal brew).
Well...shall we say we are open for business then........

Under UK law we’ll need to apply for a licence and then there’s the thorny issue of opening hours. You won’t get a 24 hour licence, but if we’ve got to cover drinking from New Zealand to California then that’s what we’ll need. So we probably need a new Act of Parliament to allow 24 hour drinking. Any lawyers or politicians here…or at least anyone that will admit to being a lawyer or a politician :occasion5:

The good thing about this bar is that it is an internet bar…so certain laws don’t apply to us…Thus we are open from 3 pm til 2 am…as long as its between those times some where in the world at all times then we are able to be open :twisted: Also that little law of having to be 21 to drink (or 18 in some places) doesn’t apply here either…

The good thing about this bar is that it is an internet bar...so certain laws don't apply to us...Thus we are open from 3 pm til 2 am...as long as its between those times some where in the world at all times then we are able to be open :twisted: Also that little law of having to be 21 to drink (or 18 in some places) doesn't apply here either....
yes, I can drink too. I never have before, because I was waiting until it was legal :twisted:

I feel for you Chris, that 21 has never made any sense to me (and fortunately I didn’t live here when I was < 21 :lol: ). Old enough to enlist, but not old enough to drink a beer?