I need some expert advice

Hi y’all,

I have been trolling on these forums for some time now, and I have been inspired to set up my own weather camera. I have a great view outside my home of the mountains and I want to share this on my website.

My question is what is the best camera I can get in my budget, I am looking for a 3 megapixel camera, to be mounted outside (in Pasadena, CA so not much crazy weather here) I also want to be able to display the outside temperature, Barometric pressure and humidity on the image.

My budget is around $800-$1000 for the camera and enclosure. I have been shopping around but haven’t found anything in my budget yet, are there any deals out there?

Thanks!

Have you considered Stardot? I know that some on the forum have them and it’s something I’d like to get in the future. A quick check of their web site showed an “Autumn Special” that featured their 3MP cam…while supplies last. :wink:

http://www.stardot-tech.com/specials.html

Thanks for your quick reply!

I have seen Stardot mentioned on these forums, has anybody had any experience with them? Is the XL 3MP a good camera to use?

Stardot do some rather expensive versions too so they are up for best quality and remote control as well.

I am using 2nd hand Olympus cameras but have them inside at present, and also with a heated demisted window in the garage. WD will grab the image from the networked PC and usb camera and add weather overlays for it and the FTP as well.

I do have a remote camera in a demisted box above my house as well, its a poor quality usb net cam - a Logitech (there are excellent Logitech ones - the Quick Cam Pro 9000), but you can use a neat Panasonic camera many have and are of good quality image and some use them as a networked camera that WD can read in and overlay too. … NIKO?? :slight_smile:

TK

I’ve just seen this on their website, looks like they are running a sale next week

http://www.stardot-tech.com/prevblackfriday.html

Is this a good deal?

Are there any cheaper alternatives?

There’s the Panasonic BL-C140 or the later BL-C160 IP cameras, good images, easy wiring as the power is taken through the CAT5 cable and compatible with WD for adding weather data.

I use a Microsoft Lifecam Studio HD in a weather proof housing, complete setup was less than $200. :wink:

Yep, several BL-C140 users on here see http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/35752 and other threads (but it’s not 3 megapixel). Personally I wouldn’t wait for a 3 megapixel image to load if I visted a website (well, not a wx pic anyway) but that’s just me.

Do you already have the weather station?

That’s a good point. As mentioned, there are cheaper alternatives. I suggested the stardot as I have seen some great images from these cameras and you mentioned that you had a great view. I’m considering a startdot sometime in the future for a feeder cam. Startdot offers telephoto lenses that would help for my purposes. For the record, my main cam is a wireless axis 207 that I’ve been very happy with but it is located inside the house looking out.

Best of luck and keep us posted. Looking forward to seeing pictures from your setup. :slight_smile:

Hey!

Just wanted to let you know, I’ve not bought my camera yet (something came up) but I signed up for the StarDot newsletter while I was on their website and they email me a coupon for 20% off everything! Feel free to give it a try the coupon is NEWYEAR. I think that works out better than the ‘specials’ they have so I can choose camera and lens.

Thanks for your help!