Time to start the Ivan thread?

IVAN IS A EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE WITH MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR 160 MPH...260 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

I caught the end of a TV news item this evening reporting what I assume was Ivan related damage report from Grenada. Sounded like virtually all comms out of action and 4 dead, although with no comms it wasn’t possible to know the full extent of the damage.

Yes Ivan caused major devastation in Grenada. He is now heading towards Jamaica and is now at CAT4 - sustained winds of 150mph !!

The forecasted track seems to be taking Ivan up towards the poor people of Florida again - a total evacuation of the Florida Keys is under way. The eye of the hurricane looks set to travel up the west coast of FL at the moment but of course that still means destructive winds affecting much of the state.

After Charley and Frances this is the last thing that they need.

Check out http://www.nhc.noaa.gov for the latest

I am still thinking that it could trend to the west of the track and hit New Orlenes… and show why you shouldn’t build a city below sea level :roll: