Memory Leak Windows7 64bit? -> silicon labs davis USB driver -> update OK

I downloaded build 80 and I still have (for the most part) the same problem described here. weatherd.exe has been running for 24 hours and is at 302,596. If I restart it then its starts at 58 0000 or so and then climbs.
But I am not running windows 7. Vista. And I am running in XP compatability mode.

that is not the same problem though
for this thread, WeatherD.exe is not actually using more and more memory via task manager, processes
but the PC is loosing memory

for your particular problem, with Vista, make sure to set WeatherD.exe to run as administrator
also is there any errors under view, program event log?

thank you for replying…I just relaunched it using the run as administrator command…
And no, there arent any errors in the program event log. Task manger is now showing 369,144 for weatherd.exe.

I am confused, what could cause it to grab more and more memory?

it could be a problem with customisation of some of the screens
as a test, try resetting some of those:
setup, advanced/misc
then click on reset weather dials
then save
then restart WD

I do NOT run in XP compatibility and my WD running on Vista is currently using 58,628 K and that is after two weeks.

I run a webcam and upload files every 5 minutes and use WU rapid Fire and client raw files…

-Bob

Just to share, here is what performance manager is seeing with my memory. No loss
of memory over time. I have and will not be adding anything other than the defaults including Windows Media Center and MS 2010 Office. I will not be using the Outlook even though its there.

WD is version 80 and I am not currently uploading any webcam images… Just a clean build on the OS and WD.

Good luck,

is that with W7 64 bit, mlail ?

Guys check out my memory performance for the last 24hrs - the point in which a big chunk of memory is reinstated and then stable is when I disconnected the Davis USB datalogger :o

What I am interested to know with other Win6 64bit users and Davis USB loggers are:

1. When you go to device manager and update driver on the equivalent com port, what driver version is displayed?
  2. Under the device manager com port: hardware flow control on and memory buffers enabled?

@mlail
I want your memory performance profile please…

maybe try upgrading to the latest silicon labs USB for the Davis data logger driver?

Yeah this is exactly what I have done and fingers crossed for the next few hrs.

I was not convinced what driver version was installed hence previous post as Device Manager reported v6.0.0, and when I downloaded and installed the latest it stated upgrading from v6.3 to v6.4 which seemed feasible but afterwards Device Manager still reported the same driver version. What version do you get under Device Manager?

Yes it is, add in sp1

Bas studio,

Maybe the issue ties to your USB, my data logger is serial.

I attached my memory performance to an earlier post. Are you wanting something else?

I think I have fixed it but I will wait 24hrs before I celebrate - the clue can be found looking at the Silicon Labs CP210x USB-UART driver release notes http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/Software/CP210x_VCP_Win_XP_S2K3_Vista_7_Release_Notes.txt and the bug fixes in release v6.1 i.e. memory leak.

When I looked at my Win7 Device Manager and driver details for the com port it report v6.0.0.0! which is odd considering I have never installed this a driver that old, so according to Silicon Labs this version of the driver had memory leak issues which I can concur with. I definitly attempted to install v6.3 not too long ago and yesterday I attempted to install the latest v6.4 which reported that it removed the old driver and successfully installed the new driver after scanning the ports. But, when I looked at the Device Manager com port driver version it was still at v6.0.0.0 which is annoying

So after some faffing I managed to get the latest driver installed by running the Silicon Labs uninstaller, rebooting and then through the Device Manager pointing the com port at the new driver manually. Now when I look at Device manager com port driver information it states v6.4.0.0 which is very hopeful. I am now running the Win7 Performance Monitor for my usual 24hrs and I will post the results but I think this will work.

Therefore watch out for the Silicon Labs automatic driver update utility because it has never worked on my Win7 machine.

I almost forgot to mention that I am also using a USB thumb drive for ReadyBoost.

You probably nailed it with the driver update.

Good luck!

It has been running over 24hrs now and the Performance Monitor results are superb and what I would expect to see :smiley:

Thanks to everyone who posted as its great to bounce ideas around to progress problems such as this.

Hello Everyone :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Took me some days but i think i have found the cause …

Did some messing with some setups which are:

1. Laptop Intel Core2 Duo P7450 2.13Ghz 4Gb Ram and 500Gb HDD Nvidia Gpu and working thru Wi-Fi i[/i]

2. Pc Assembled Intel i5-2500K 3.30Ghz 4Gb Ram and 1Tb HDD Raid 0 Nvidia Gpu working thru LAN 1Gb i[/i]

3. Pc assembled Intel i7-2600K 3.40Ghz 16Gb Ram and 2Tb HDD Raid 5 Nvidia Gpu working thru Wi-Fi and 2 LAN 1Gb connections i[/i]

Now i have used on the 3 systems a program called Memory Validator an awesome program to find any problem related with specific program.

WeatherD.exe does not have any memory related leak whatsoever !!! nor all other program related to it. However yes, it does consume on 64bit platform a little too much resource.

As i stated before i think involuntarily WeatherD.exe when launched and performing what the creator intended to do, especially on 64bit system does the “Last drop in the glass full of water” and spills over creating the known instability, in which the system hangs out and shuts down.

The problem lies from the logger and the drivers for the adapter either USB to Serial or from Serial to USB. In my case i use Prolific PL2303 USB to Serial which i interface with Com0Com 64bit drivers to VirtualVP then the 2 progs i use for my weather station Davis … after long and bitchy logging and no sleep for a couple of day i managed to find out after two consecutive shutdown on the first 2 systems caused for some reason by the Prolific driver which at some point goes crazy on the logger and makes the system completely unstable and then shuts down.

Analyzing the problem my suggestion is that WeatherD.exe sends way too many LOOP arguments and then after a while the logger triggers the reset which is mishandled firstly from WeatherD.exe and then Prolific driver goes crazy asking and responding in Gibberish and leading to full instability. At one point i thought that Com0Com were responsible but they are not since they work as passthru emu.

I contacted Prolific and they are looking into this problem … hopefully they will come up with a solution if any needed.

I have found also that standard Com goes max at 9600bps when infact should work at 19200bps … so all having problems tryout this just to see if anything changes. Get into your either Prolific Silicon or whichever driver and set 19200bps - 8 - nothing - 1 - nothing … then advanced and put everything to max. Now last tab unthick energy saving option if any applies and click OK and reboot … beside to update to last driver avilable and BE SURE THAT IT IS GOOD FOR 64Bit !!!

Regards
Ruggero

I was doing great for some time until I noticed the other day that WD has stopped working along with almost everything else. I rebooted the PC and everything looked fine. After a day I used Media Center to watch a show. I know that this is a resource hog so when I was done, I closed the application. Another day later, I noticed that the performance monitor showed something that I had not seen before and it appears to be what the original complaint was about. The memory was constantly going down. Attached are a couple of pics of what I am seeing.

In my case, I think that Windows itself has the problem. Even though I closed Media Center, the available memory was decreasing.

I do nothing else with this PC other than open the browser on occasion to post here.

Weird things!

I reset the dials screen per your instructions. And as an added step I reboot the PC and of course relaunched WeatherD. Its running very nicely.
So you were right Brian, it was the dials screen that was chewing up memory.

Thank you Brian.

Ken

www.gardnermaweather.com

@mlail
Looks like you are losing memory at about 50MB/hr approx from your graph, I am guessing you don’t get this all the time only after you have been using Windows?
Probably worth running Process Explorer and monitor the processes over time to see if anything is consuming memory.

The reality as I see it, is to reboot the pc daily. I did this on the previous build and all was well. Any data that were to happen during the reboot will get downloaded at boot up. So it is really a non-issue. I just added my data to help others.

Thanks