Not much luck here...

I set up the demo version of WD 3.4 under Redhat EL. I’m not haviing much luck. My serial port works fine with minicom, but WD can’t seem to see my WMR918 at all. My permissions on /dev/ttyS1 and /dev/ttyS0 are 777. I clicked on “input daily weather” and managed to lock up the windowing system until I killed the WD process. I also manged to get a “runtime error 231 at 0806B83D (./GoWeather.sh: Line 20: 11129 Segmentation Fault ./WeatherD).” Not sure what I was doing at the time.

Are any of you having better luck than I? Any hints?

John

sounds like you are almost there. after you start ./GoWeather.sh
setup, control panel, com port
setup, control panel, weather station type

it should then start to collect data :smiley:

Thanks for the response…I had those items set and still no success. I also tried WIN32 WD under Wine and the program appeared to run, but again was not able to talk to the serial port. Both in Linux and Linux/Wine, the program says that the serial port is OK in the title bar. Serial port works fine in WIN32 version here. Any other suggestions I might try?

which version of WD are you using ?

it will be a com port hardware/setting issue and not a WD issue…as others have blamed WD, but it turns out to be something else,and they get the linux version working in the end
even serial ports in windows can be a pain,…becuase the bios settings were set wrong…check there even…like setting to use auto…or try different address’s for the ports, etc…even try a different com port number in WD as they maybe be reversed…etc

it really does amaze me how qucik people are to blame the software for a hardware issue 8O

the other thing is, there are plenty of other threads on this linux section about people having trouble with the serial port, etc…and there is alot of great information provided by people like vergil…and so i hope do some searching first.
Virgil, i would like to compensate you someway for all the time and effort you put in trying to help people with com port issues with the linux version (and 99% have resolved them!)

it will be a com port hardware/setting issue and not a WD issue..as others have blamed WD, but it turns out to be something else,and they get the linux version working in the end even serial ports in windows can be a pain,....becuase the bios settings were set wrong....check there even...like setting to use auto....or try different address's for the ports, etc....even try a different com port number in WD as they maybe be reversed...etc

it really does amaze me how qucik people are to blame the software for a hardware issue 8O

If hokie21 has an old version, he may have an issue were you have to double select.

Hokie21, i tried my old WM-918, and it worked ok for me, so the WMR-918 shouldn’t be to different. I bet we are missing one little thing, that is always the way :wink:

that might be it!
there was a bug in an older linux version where you had to reselect the com port…I take it all back!
(that is fixed in the latest version (download and unzip the .zip file to where you have the program installed)

(i have the flu, and not feeling very well today, sorry for the abuse

I downloaded the software for the first time this weekend. The Linux version says version 3.4. The Windows version I tried under Wine was 10.16r. I did search the forum before I posted, and was unsuccessful using this information to resolve the issue myself.

Sure, it is possible that this may be a configuration issue and not a WD issue. I am hoping that this is the case.

Both the serial ports are working for me on the Linux box using both minicom and Perl. If I attempt to select (non-existent) COM 3 in WD, I get a WD error opening /dev/ttyS2, as I would expect. If I select COM 2 (without any error indication) in WD, I am still able to open minicom at the same time, select /dev/ttyS1 and see data from the WMR918. If WD was attaching to the serial port correctly, wouldn’t I expect that the serial port would be locked by WD and I wouldn’t be able to see data from the same serial port at the same time via minicom? Isn’t the fact that minicom is working with /dev/ttyS1 telling us that BIOS settings are OK? Does WD set the bit rate inside the program and disable hardware handshaking? Since it appears to do this in the WIN32 version, I assume it does it in the Linux version as well.

Like the poster in a prevous thread, I am still finding the windows manager locking up on occasion as I naviagate within WD. When this happens, I am not able to do anything except use alt-tab to select an open xterm to kill WD.

Thanks for your help!

John

yes you would assume that if another software can still access that com port, then what is supposed to be com 2 in WD linux is in fact not com 2
have you tried, for instance, com 1 in wd?

hmmm… let me do a fresh install with the wm918(tonight :stuck_out_tongue: ) and see if I can figure anything out. also try version 3.6, it is out now :slight_smile:

brian,i am going to write a help file for the linux version. i hope to be done by sometime this weekend :wink:

help file will be great!
also, someone is sourcing me a cheap PC so I can have another pc as my linux pc, and a monitor/keyboard switch as well, so that i can more easily carry on with the linux development as well
as for the comport: it worked straight away on my pc with my davis VP and mandrake…
i have used a serial component…which handles it all

I tried com1, but had the same “no-go” result. Com1 and com2 don’t return errors when selected. All other ports (not available on my machine) do return errors when selected. I checked the new help file and I was already doing everything suggested.

Let me know if you can think of any other things to try. tnx, John