pc with 2 lan port - ip camera

I have a pc with 2 lan ports… can i use the second one for my ip camera?

Its a Stardot camera with dhcp etc (not recived it yet)…

Any experience with using pc’s second lan port appreciated

Arnt

Sure you can use it, it’s just another port. But you will need to configure it for your application. What OS are you running? And does the camera need to connect to the internet, to accessible to visitors from the internet? Much depends on your setup and what your plans are for the camera.

Going for a switch instead… not sure why i got my mind set on that second port thing, when a switch should be much easier…

The second port is easier and doesnt require more hardware, you just have to give it an IP in the range your using and go to town.

But you would also need a crossover cable.

Mark

As I said earlier, it depends on how you plan to use the camera and what requirements it has for IP. Does the camera require a DHCP server to assign it an IP and other lease information? Do you plan to have the camera online and allow visitors to connect to it? What is your current internet connection, DSL, Wireless, Cable?

More info on the expected setup would go a long way towards being able to offer suggestions.

Win Xp, dsl… i just want it to upload to my website… no visitors will be allowed on the camera itself (at least not now).

But i will go for a try with the switch solution first.

Arnt