Web hosting: where to host your weather page

Did you get the standard or the static plan.

Static… I’m not using anything fancy

No 5 second delay here… are you using passive?

(Man, did I spend a frustrating 20 minutes trying to get my video pull to work… upload the basic_refresh.js file to your new server dumby!)

I started with static which puts you on box 7 which runs TUX, and the static plan does not support WDL. For WDL you need a standard plan and that’ll get you on an Apache box - and will also get you the FTP delay.

I don’t use the service at all, just curious after looking at what they offered.

I’m not sure what you mean by 5 second delay, though.

The service that I contract for remote hosting that is not my own server is a bit more expensive, but provides unlimited sub-domains, full access to tons of dynamic content capabilities, multiple databases etc… Almost everything I do is dynamically built now days…

What I mean is there is a 5 second pause during the FTP login, and it is there intentionally. This is a login sequence from filezilla:

Status: Connected with ftp.realweatherstation.com. Waiting for welcome message…
Here is the approx 5 second pause
Response: 220 ProFTPD FTP Server ready.
Command: USER *****************
Response: 331 Password required for *********************
Command: PASS ******
Response: 230 User ***************** logged in.

I think this might be more of an issue of Reverse DNS and Ident lookups. By default, Proftp has both turned on.
Both of which can be turned off if the ISP choose to do so.

Sounds a likely scenario. I didn’t mean to imply that he put a delay in just for the heck of it. He does allow multiple (10 IIRC) concurrent ftp sessions so that’s a plus.

One small problem with e-rice.net… my FTP client is stalling during uploads… also happens using WS FTP.

I have a ticket in, but so far the admin has said their servers don’t like WS FTP and that I should switch to another FTP client 8O

That’s all fine and good for the occasional file upload but I can’t very well switch the one in WD.

nikoshepherd, are you seeing this on your box??

but ws_ftp is the standard 8O
maybe you need passive mode?"

[quote author=windy link=topic=5226.msg40353#msg40353 date=1100041566]
but ws_ftp is the standard

Downloaded and installed LeapFTP… exact same behavior.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with my FTP programs… it’s gotta be the server.

[quote author=carterlake link=topic=5226.msg40350#msg40350 date=1100040902]
One small problem with e-rice.net… my FTP client is stalling during uploads… also happens using WS FTP.

I have a ticket in, but so far the admin has said their servers don’t like WS FTP and that I should switch to another FTP client

[quote author=nikoshepherd link=topic=5226.msg40371#msg40371 date=1100046262]
No, not at all, I have one station uploading the regular webpage only, and one uploading the regular page plus WDL. BUT that may not count for much since I’m not using WD’s ftp

PM me if you would like to try it to a directory on my site.

Hello,

I am a Host for websites. I have 3 servers in an excellent NOC that is peered with 10 different ISP’s with great bandwidth.

Here is what I have to offer to Weather display / Weather display Live clients who wish to have their station on the internet.
25 Gigs of hard disk
Ftp
your own email address at your own domain
Fast Tech support
Virus scan and spam filters on the server
Fast server with lots of ram

THe servers virtually never go down!

If you would like me to register a domain name I will do that for $20.00 US
If you already have a domain name I can help you transfer the dns.

This would be a full virtual server - no advertising -

For Weather Display Live / Weather display users (for your weather website and personal website) for $25 US per year.

My site is on one of my servers it is http://www.brantfordweather.ca Check the load time, ping it etc to see if it is good for you. I upload my station data every 3 seconds and it works fine.

If you are interested please contact me at [email protected]

Gary W Dumbleton

even better, having a member of the forum and user of WD as a ISP/web hoster for you!

BIG THANK YOU for letting me do some test uploads. :rr:

I uploaded perhaps 100 files in 6-7 different sessions without a single stall. So I’m not sure if it something specific to how my account is setup or if it’s a Box7 issue. But I can say it’s not my FTP programs or firewall or connection speed.

Temporarily, I’ve restructured when I upload files to help alleviate the problem (less files per upload).

Tom

Hey, you’re welcome, that’s good news :smiley: If you let Alan know it’ll be another clue for him to find the problem. Maybe I’ll see you on a standard plan soon :wink:

[quote author=nikoshepherd link=topic=5226.msg40529#msg40529 date=1100139233]
Hey, you’re welcome, that’s good news :smiley: If you let Alan know it’ll be another clue for him to find the problem. Maybe I’ll see you on a standard plan soon

http://www.myqth.co.uk/index.html?source=overtureuk

is another one