Web hosting: where to host your weather page

Even if they do provide the same type of service, bocking another Registrar would be a violation of ICANN rules. One registar cannot block access to another. It would be foolish for a Registrar to do that.

My guess is that it is network routing related. There have been a lot of overseas networking issues the past couple weeks.

once Ambient thought i had insitaged a DOS attack (yeah right, with a dail up 28k connection?)
and they blocked my IP address…but it was only assigned from my ISP, and so all users of the ISP I was using could not get to their web site.

That’s a common problem. A server in the hosting facility and in the same Class C sub-net as my server got hacked and was being used as a spamming agent. At least one of the big spam blacklisters blocked the complete Class C net which caused me some problems!

Now I can answer my own question, yes it did!

I transferred one from Register to godaddy. Took from Saturday afternoon to Monday afternoon. Very smooth, just had to ignore godaddy’s hundreds (it seemed) of offers for additional cost services and register’s tearful entreaty not to transfer, warnings of dire consequencies if I did, and a 30% off renewal offer. Godaddy added a year to the expiration date, hooked it up to the previous DNS addresses and if there was any interruption of service it was very small. :smiley:

Hi,
I use
http://kiwiwebhost.co.nz/
for my WX site. Only $1.00 per week NZ$
Seems to be very good.

Yep… I would like it much if they toned that down. I wonder how many plunk down more money for that “stuff”.

One other thing… as your domain come up for renewal… you will start getting 90 day, 60 day, 30 day, 15 day… email notices that you need to renew soon… I have them ALL filtered to a mailbox where I dump them since I let the autorenew take place when they expire.

I used to pay off all of the renewals for the month at the first of the month, but I’ve since just let them renew automatically when they expire. A lot less headaches. The renewal is alway for 1 year and at a whopping 8.99 for com and net … its no big deal. sometimes you catch them with a promotion to make it even cheaper.

If only I could convince my primary job employer to swtich over from register.com, my life would be much easier. sometimes I wonder if they actually know what DNS is … I’ve got some real horror stories about them.

I have officially moved over to e-rice.net for web hosting…

Can’t believe I can have a domain name and hosting for a year for $14!

The only niggle I have with e-rice is that he has about a 5 second delay built into the ftp login process (at least on “my” server). In reality it hasn’t caused any problems, it’s just not what I have been used to. Otherwise it’s just great.

Did you get the standard or the static plan.

Static… I’m not using anything fancy

No 5 second delay here… are you using passive?

(Man, did I spend a frustrating 20 minutes trying to get my video pull to work… upload the basic_refresh.js file to your new server dumby!)

I started with static which puts you on box 7 which runs TUX, and the static plan does not support WDL. For WDL you need a standard plan and that’ll get you on an Apache box - and will also get you the FTP delay.

I don’t use the service at all, just curious after looking at what they offered.

I’m not sure what you mean by 5 second delay, though.

The service that I contract for remote hosting that is not my own server is a bit more expensive, but provides unlimited sub-domains, full access to tons of dynamic content capabilities, multiple databases etc… Almost everything I do is dynamically built now days…

What I mean is there is a 5 second pause during the FTP login, and it is there intentionally. This is a login sequence from filezilla:

Status: Connected with ftp.realweatherstation.com. Waiting for welcome message…
Here is the approx 5 second pause
Response: 220 ProFTPD FTP Server ready.
Command: USER *****************
Response: 331 Password required for *********************
Command: PASS ******
Response: 230 User ***************** logged in.

I think this might be more of an issue of Reverse DNS and Ident lookups. By default, Proftp has both turned on.
Both of which can be turned off if the ISP choose to do so.

Sounds a likely scenario. I didn’t mean to imply that he put a delay in just for the heck of it. He does allow multiple (10 IIRC) concurrent ftp sessions so that’s a plus.

One small problem with e-rice.net… my FTP client is stalling during uploads… also happens using WS FTP.

I have a ticket in, but so far the admin has said their servers don’t like WS FTP and that I should switch to another FTP client 8O

That’s all fine and good for the occasional file upload but I can’t very well switch the one in WD.

nikoshepherd, are you seeing this on your box??

but ws_ftp is the standard 8O
maybe you need passive mode?"

[quote author=windy link=topic=5226.msg40353#msg40353 date=1100041566]
but ws_ftp is the standard

Downloaded and installed LeapFTP… exact same behavior.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with my FTP programs… it’s gotta be the server.

[quote author=carterlake link=topic=5226.msg40350#msg40350 date=1100040902]
One small problem with e-rice.net… my FTP client is stalling during uploads… also happens using WS FTP.

I have a ticket in, but so far the admin has said their servers don’t like WS FTP and that I should switch to another FTP client