Davis VP2 and Electric Fences

I have just ordered a VP2 Plus and am checking out the best location for the ISS and Soil Station.
I live on a 11 Acre block and all my fences have a hot top wire (electric fence @ 7,500 V) to stop the cattle from beggaring my fences.
I was thinking of attaching the ISS to the top of a fence post and setting a hot wire about a metre around the ISS to protect it.
Does any one know if this will affect the ISS or cause transmission loss.

Cheers

I would suspect not
especially as the voltage in an electric fence is only for a micro second or so and only every 1 second at that

however might not be good if that hot wire touched the ISS
also though induced voltage might be a factor

(my first computerised weather station I setup myself way back in 1984 was a Maximum anenometer (i.e voltage output) connected to a Vic 20 joystick port (using the ADC input) via a couple of wires on a fence…but the induced electric fence voltage caused a voltage in those parallel running fence wires…which made the computer screen output (to a TV) blink every second …eventualy it did not boot up…

The iROX equipment suppliers have one of their own stations mounted close to electric fences and do not find it an issue at all, however, any signal cables, shielded or otherwise, should be run at right angles to any electric fence wires to minimise this inducted emf. There may be a problem boxing in a wx stn in a mini protective fence though… try it and see…

Yep sounds like a set it an see situation. My problem is anywhere near the house has either solar radiation shielding or tree issues.
The only good thing about the iROX is that you can set up individual sensors remotely from one another. Pity about the transmission issues.

Cheers guys and thanks for the comments

since you have a vp2…

I would do this… try it at the location you are thinking about for a while and see how things are. I am assuming their wouldn’t be the fence between you and your receiver, the console?

With the frequency hopping it produces, then I guess all is speculation on the quality of your reception. You are going to need to give it a try.