Davis Vantage Pro 2 with USB no data - Why? [RESOLVED]

Hello!

could anyone help me i have the Davis Vantage Pro 2 with USB

no Data received, in the Setup i choose the right stadtion, but receive no data!

could anyone help me?

regards
Peter

Hi Peter & welcome to the forum.
There are a few things to check.
In the station settings page, make sure you have Rev B data logger ticked and the correct baud rate, default is 19200 but this should match what is on your console.
Make sure you have the correct COM port number selected.
If you used Weatherlink to set up your station, did you tell it that you have a Serial or USB datalogger? If you said USB then this would put the datalogger into USBExpress mode which Weather Display can’t read. There is thread in the FAQ section about this and contains a link to a download from Davis that will enable you to change it to Serial, which both Weather Display & Weatherlink can read.

If you’re using Windows 7 then make sure all your USB power save functions are turned OFF as these can cause the USB ports to power down even though your VP2 is sending data.

If none of these work, just after WD, click “View” > WS2010-13/WS2500/Program Debug Info and copy the contents of the text area and post them on here so we can see what WD is trying to do. :wink:

Martin

Hi!

thank you for your fast reply

i have weatherlink last version, and windows 7, the stadtion is connected with the usb cabel

why did i need the com port with usb?

how did i do that?
your USB power save functions are turned OFF

yes in the data report there is
Com port errorsending DMPAFTAsking for archived data downloadre starting download, timerrestarting timerConnecting com portCom port errorsending DMPAFTAsking for archived data downloadre starting download, timerrestarting timerConnecting com portCom port errorsending DMPAFTAsking for archived data downloadre starting download, timerrestarting timerConnecting com portCom port errorsending DMPAFTAsking for archived data downloadre starting download, timerrestarting timerConnecting com portCom port errorsending DMPAFTAsking for archived data downloadre starting download, timerrestarting timerConnecting com portCom port errorsending DMPAFTAsking for archived data downloadre starting download, timerrestarting timerConnecting com portCom port errorsending DMPAFTAsking for archi

Because Weatherlink uses USBExpress, not standard USB and Weather Display can’t read USBExpress.
See this FAQ

This is something that Weatherlink does when you choose USB connections instead of Serial when going through the setup.

This is saying that it can’t connect to the COM port so run through the linked FAQ above, set the connection to Serial and you should start getting data. Like I said above, Weatherlink can also receive data using the Serial connection but you can’t run Weatherlink and Weather Display at the same time, it’s one or the other. :wink:

hi!

thank you, for the info, i would install now this driver but not works

weatherlink is closed

could you help me over the teamviewer, i would give after that an simpler step by step for that solution!

is that possible?
:slight_smile:
Peter

hi!

it think it would be fine to get a better step by step info!

it would be nice!

thank you

regards
Peter

i have not datalogger only direct from vantage pro 2 into pc windows 7 to weather display

WeatherLink = data logger. WeatherLink includes the hardware, the datalogger, that allows you to connect your station to your computer.

Weather Display works in place of WeatherLink, so you don’t need to be running WeatherLink if you have WD.

is there a com port number shown in device manager, ports?
and if so, have you selected that as the com port number to use in WD?

Hello!

thank you, you see that in the screen shot!

i see no port number.

Peter

it says com port error

do you see a virtual com port, in windows device manager, ports?

i.e you may have your data logger set to USBExpress mode

hi!

here is the manager!

its windows 7
i have no dataloger!

:
Peter

you will need to set weather link to serial mode, in the connections setup
and then run the Davis utlility program to convert to virtual serial mode
(run that program where weather link is installed)
then you should have a virtual com port , in device manager, which you select that com port number to use in WD

see

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/31666

thank you, i have try to install that but

The message:
The programm could not started…

why?
windows 7

make sure you run the program from where you have weatherlink installed (see my post above)

ok, now i understand

now my next question if i install that, how could i go back to the normal mode?

regards
Peter

virtual serial port is normal (default) mode, the mode you are converting back to, from USBexpress mode (not normal mode)
virtual serial port mode is needed for WD to work (i.e serial selected in weather link (USB selected in weather link sets that to USBExpress mode)

ok,

i will only test weather display, so i will test only that mode

but after that i want to start weatherlink again how could i set it again to USBExpress?

Peter

You don’t need to re-set back to USBExpress, Weatherlink will work fine in Serial mode as well, As I said further up the thread. :wink:

as we have stated, weatherlink set to serial mode will work in virtual serial port mode

note that you can not run weatherlink and WD at some time though , unless you use a program called virtual VP