New in this, how to forecast more than 1 day

Hi everyone, I have always been a weather fan, although I never went very far, last week I decided to get a WH1081, looks like a basic but yet complete piece of equipment for a newbie like me, I’m just doint it for fun.

I was wondering if it is possible to forecast 1 or 2 days with the data we can get from it, I mean, in the screen I can see the tendency but that is of course valid for the next hours maybe, is there a way I can calculate the possible forecast for 2 or 3 days? or that is just possible looking on satellite images?

thanks for all your comments and help in advance!

It is unlikely you would be able to do much more than predict an hour or two ahead based on pressure etc, unless you use the available model data and that gets complicated. Most of us here who provide forecasts use WXSim (see the board on this forum). This is a very sophisticated piece of software which uses not only your own data but also model data available on the internet.

Stuart

I see, I was reading a bit about those Forecast Simulators, I think they call it Digital Atmosphere?, looks a bit complex, I guess I will need some years of statistics to be able to do some forecasting? what does the model data contemplates exactly? lots of data of pressure, temps, rainfall wind etc?, anything special?, I would like to see if I can possibly get some of that please let me know, any recommended readings that could help me get into it will be good.

thanks a lot!

Do what the local tv forecaster does. Throws a handful of darts. checks what went where, stands in front of a camera, and bingo a 16 day forecast :wink:

Look on the Digital Atmosphere web site and you will see that Tim Vasquez has written a lot of books on forecasting. A great read especially for those of you in the states. Begin to think about what charts you need in addition to your own data, and start to learn about how the atmosphere works. Once you begin to get a basic understanding you can then try simple forecasting like high and low temps etc. Nowcasting can be done so easily in the US using the radar that is freely available. A day or two in advance needs more data and more time.
great fun to learn, I am going through the same process now myself. greatly helped by WXSim which is pretty much a must for amateurs. USeful also is the demo download of RAOB. It can teach you a lot about upper air diagrams and hence forecasting. As soon as I can afford it it is on my to buy list. It is not expensive for the great functionality it gives, just I am retired and live in the UK so having spare money is an optional extra.

Best wishes

Mike

thanks for your replies guys, really appreciate it!, I got Weather for Dummies :slight_smile: and reading it now, since I’m ouside of the US and its hard to get phisycal books bought the electronic edition of that book to read, looks good so far, but is not very technical, anyway for a newbie like me is a good intro to this.

As you are outside the US like myself you can get the books I have mentioned through Amazon, or even ebay. I got mine by post direct from the States. You might also like to check out this website. its free and should have all the knowledge you might need to get you going.

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/

Best wishes

Mike

That website looks great, good information!, worth reading! will read through thanks!