Hazards of being bored

for some reason my site has not been loading stuff from Wdisplay, so I got on the hostmonster.com and started removing all of the WDFiles, then racing down the steps and resetting things from that location and then back up the steps to make sure nothing is where it is supposed to be and then hoping things get fixed.

Anyway in the process, I decided that it was probably time to ditch MS Frontpage. there is nothing wrong with it, but it is an ancient program that I actually enjoy using.

So I figured that I should get something modern… I opted for “Expression Studio 4 Web Professional” it should serve my purpose. In that I am one of those teacher types, I can get it from Academic Superstore or Costcaptain.com for a fraction of the cost. You just have to prove that you are a teacher or student and then they take my money.

Anyway, it should be interesting . I am keeping Frontpage as I do have a lot of disk space, but having to worry that if I upgrade OS or a differnt computer it would be nice to have something else on board or on the shelf.

Anyway in the process, I decided that it was probably time to ditch MS Frontpage. there is nothing wrong with it, but it is an ancient program that I actually enjoy using.

There is everything wrong with it, it produces the most horrific code!!! I think even MS were embarrassed by it. Never used Expression Web but it seems to have good reports.

I use an old copy of Dreamweaver version 8, but it was a bit of a game to install on Windows7, also notepad++ and for some sites Drupal.

What ever you use try to make sure that everything validates.

I tried Expression Web for about 2 minutes, stuck with FP its great for what i need :slight_smile:

I’ve never had a real problem with FP, but thought I should have another program on board. At school we have to use iweb. so far I’ve been blessed, I haven’t had to do much with iweb. If I had a mean streak. should see if I can get into the code, add a provision for WDL and have that on my website.

I don’t know why they dropped FP, but then again no one knows why MS does what they do.

Microsoft didn’t make FP they bought it and even they knew it was a problem. It produces heavy and bloated code and it probably will never validate. There was also these frontpage extensions to get the hang of instead of straight ftp.

Learn HTML and CSS as even if you use something like Dreamweaver you will need to.

My Weather site is mainly handcoded with the scripts added in. You don’t need to use the templates to get the scripts to work.

FP was dropped in 2006 time to move on to something better.

I used FrontPage since 2000. It has always worked for me, I have been able to remove extra white space and get all the gadgets to work right. I find that there was absolutely nothing wrong with it . I used the same product on MS 98, XP, Vista with no problems. The only upsetting part is that as the OS upgraded I had to worry whether to go with what works OR to worry about if it wouldn’t be compatible.

Now that it is definitely a relic I went ahead and got for costcaptain, using my educators status, it for 24 bucks shipped.

I am going to have both installed on my vista and see which one uses it the best.

HTML is learned, but I prefer software that lets you do multiple things. Weather Display lets you do multiple things, Weatherlink doesn’t. So… we go with Weather Display.

at work we use Apple iweb…

Sounds like iWeb may be coming to the end of its life as well. Different to Expression web in that it is a WYSIWYG, nothing wrong in that, but Expression is an HTML editor which allows more flexibility.
I am presuming that Expression won’t work on a Mac as it is a Microsoft product but I could be wrong. Dreamweaver works on both and I have had it working on Linux as well.
Best to ditch FP and move on. All that bloated code slows down your page load times.

When VP2 comes to a rolling halt, when it is junk… then goes the web page. FP is fine, I just wanted a new toy. As long as the FTP program keeps churning new images to the web pages things are fine.

I am not dumping FP , for all I know Expressions is in the same boat that Windows ME, Win98 floated along through the wilds of the blue screen of death.

I ditched the MS web stuff a while a go, now use dreamweaver… Never looked back, it seems to work.

The interface might be a bit daunting at a start but after that it is all good.

H.

the software came yesterday and I installed it today… I haven’t done anything with it. I need to learn how to do things. It appears pretty straight forward… we’ll see how it flies.

appreciate the assistance.