Boltek death? (IT LIVES!!!!)

sold boltek

What have you tried to diagnose the problem?
Have you:

1. Checked the RJ45 connections - pull them out and check for corrosion and broken wires
  2. Changed the CAT5 cable - bring the antenna down and connect to a different cable to make sure it’s not just the cable
  3. Reseated the PCI card - checked that there’s no dirt on the connections on the PCI card or the motherboard
    Is it picking anything up, noise even?
    Do you use DSLog and is that showing a heartbeat?
    Do you use Nexstorm and is that showing error next to “Receiver” on the main screen?

Need more info before you go spending money where it may not needed.
It could be the cable, it could be the antenna only testing will find the cause. :wink:

Get an electric drill and see if you get noise, or put the antenna on top of your computer tower.

I think you meant NSlog Budgie. I never thought of that. Still trying to determine
whats up with mine. Getting heartbeats so thats a good sign I think.

it looks like its the cable that came with it. I put in a smaller one closer to the computer and it was alive…but when I put it back it stoped working. No I don’t use NSlog. and yes I am useing Nexstorm and I am not getting a error next to to the Receiver words I just get a green Enabled

Nintendo on the mind, obviously! #-o :lol:

A good quality CAT5 cable and new RJ45’s should sort the problem then.
Cheaper that a new Boltek!! :smiley:

strange thing is . I pluged in a laptop that I had to the same network cable that the boltek was on (after I pluged it into my switch) and it worked fine. no bad connection at all. can it still be the cable? I might just get more cable from there website (boltek) that way I know it will work.

When using the cable on your laptop, if the laptop or switch is only 100Mbit speed then only 4 of the 8 wires are used.

I made my own cable for my Boltek unit and it worked perfectly. There are notes included to make your own cable if required or desired.

Thank you for the info. So the cable that came with the boltek must use all 8 wires. I may try to make one also. LOL may…might just be better to get just one from there site. Thanks !!

It looks like there is a bad connection someplace don’t know if the oil in the box is doing it or what…going to have to work on it some more.

I turned off all filters so it should see everything…I am still not sure what is up. now when I take a fluorescent light to it it shows as noise on the system. so its working…kind of???..any way looks like I will have to wait for a storm…and that might be a bit from the way the weather looks now…

If you want to test the cable or make a new one up, you might find a tester invaluable. One like this: http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PHCT45-Network-Cable-Tester/dp/B003ZUQSUI/ref=pd_cp_e_2 doesn’t cost much and can save alot of time.

Well worth to have, I bought one when I ran a bunch of Cat 5’s in my house. You can get them on ebay for about the same price including shipping, these are the guys I bought mine from http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120483275951&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1123

Update: I got a LAN testing cable from a local guy and the cable that I have tests fine. No problems at all. so it looks to be the antenna…
Thanks for the info guys I most likey will get the one on e-bay

I see a lot of strikes in NY and dont see anything on mine here from work.
I’ll take a look at it when I get home.

I have a feeling it could be dead. It’s not even 4 years old :frowning:

not good. mine is about 5 years old. WX station is 6 years so that would make the boltek 5 years

Checked it and nothing when I got home. Severe Thunderstorms
in Western and nothing on my Nexstorm screen.

I’ve got heartbeats on NSLog and noise putting it on my tower
and using a drill. I’m pretty PO’ed truthfully

Can either of you determine if the antenna box is warm? They usually run warm so if it’s cold and the cable is good then it’s likely dead.

Mine is pretty warm Nico. I checked that before I unmounted it
and switched cords on it.

That’s strange, yours has all the signs of working :? Not something simple like a squelch/noise suppression/sensitivity setting in the software is it?

I’ve monkeyed with it. I’ll see what the latest driver and such is for Win 7

mine is cold

In that case, if the cable is OK, then I think the antenna is almost certainly dead :frowning: