3in1 v3.0 beta

Hi guys!

First test of the new features of wxsim/wret, so i suggest to NOT go live with it yet :smiley:

New:

• use new tscd-value for showing thunder-icon + text in hour-by-hour-table
  • convert the textstring in plaintext.txt to a tscd-value to get correct icon if thunder
  • 9 possible thunder-icons in use

You need to activate “Put convectinve in lastret” in WRET

What i want to know are:

• do icon and textstring show up properly when thunder forcasted?
    (plaintext-parser-lang-fi.txt are NOT yet updated)

Beta download:

EDIT Its also in use on my site now: http://www.nordicweather.net/ennuste.php?lang=en :smiley:

henkka

Hi,
Tested new version with “Put convectinve in lastret” in WRET

Forecast for thunder is <2

Visible icons and text in hour-by-hour

http://www.mavahome.com/wxindex2.php

Try to play with the “senisitive”-settings in WRET and WXSIM to get the forecasts to fit with each other (detailed vs hour-by-hour).
Note also that the thunder-icon and text in hour-forecast do not use “Severe thunderstorms”-number anymore, it is used only in the graph. they comes now directly from the new tscd-number ( + using also cloudiness for the icon).

henkka

I see an bug in the textstring of 3in1 now, if tscd 202 and cloudy + rain are forecasted do it say “Showers unlikely, but could contain lightning if they occur.” whats wrong…need to figure out something there.

EDIT
Trying to better implent the phrases, also to get the phrases little shorter see bugfix-attachment. What do you think?

EDIT2
Or this? (bugfix2.png) I think this will the winner here :slight_smile:

I agree.

Oebel

Dev-zip (url in first post) updated with changes to thunder/rain-phrases, also lang-fi.txt are updated with phrases in use (first about 80 lines).
Of course, feel free to combine them if you can in your language, those are now for finnish. :slight_smile:

Henkka

Another fix coming to 3in1, thanks to Alex/lokaltvader.se for pointing out:

Ovc will be full cloudy icon now, checked with wikipedia and it was actually wrong before with partly cloudy-icon for ovc:
FEW = ‘Few’ = 1-2 oktas
SCT = ‘Scattered’ = 3-4 oktas
BKN = ‘Broken’ = 5-7 oktas
OVC = ‘Overcast’ = 8 oktas (ie full cloud coverage)

Henkka

San & co,

as we mail (I and I Fiorentino) to henkka some time ago, the script have to be a better management in terms of icons output routine and clouds condition, we propose a beta modded version and send it to henkka also. I don't know is Henkka tested it. In every case this new script is more inline than the old. As you can see the plaintext.txt output in detailed forecast (that is the real output from wxsim) match better the hour by hour forecast (that is based on lastret.txt). The old script not so much. There are some misallineation also in new script but think that there is a clearly improve.

Can you please tell how it should be better?
Main problem is that the Dotvoid-set of icons do not have many different icons to choose from and i have created a bunch of new ones (some in old version and 6 more for new version). Actually other free sets of wx-icons are not any better there either, they have even less icons than my modded Dotvoid-set.

Cloudiness in icons are allways defined directlty from the WEATHER-description in lastret.txt based on the definitions used in METAR-forecasts found in Wikipedia (wich also use FEW,SCT,OVC etc.). For a 3 hours period in hour-forcast are allways “the worst weather” used, so if even one line have say “cloudy” are cloudy icon shown. The “worst weather” are also used in Ken’s plaintextparser from what i have looked.
Also, feel free to moddificate the function waneicon() in wxall.functions.php where all different icons are defined one-by-one.

henkka

Hi Henkka,
I just sayed that your last version contains significant improvements, my guess is why you do not give any feedback about what Alessandro and me email you two weeks ago, before the last Tom beta was out with thunderstorm enhancements. Probably you not receive the email from Alessandro :roll:
In every case now all goes much more better. :o
Only one thing, keep attention to m.cloudy/bkn and p.cloudy condition (are not the same) and cloudy is not more cover of m.cloudy, try to match better the ken true icons output in plaintext.

Sante

EDIT: if you want, we can provide you our last mod file, for keep in discussion the issues.
the modding are running both on http://www.maceratameteo.it/sivu2or.php?lang=en & http://www.meteocarmignano.it/wxsimallinone.php?lang=en

Sante,

Only one thing, keep attention to m.cloudy/bkn and p.cloudy condition (are not the same) and cloudy is not more cover of m.cloudy, try to match better the ken true icons output in plaintext.
Main issue in 3in1 is that we have only one type of partly cloudy [u]with[/u] rain-icon, but 2 types of partly cloudy [u]without[/u] rain-icons (little cloud and bigger cloud). As result, soon there are rain but not are fully cloudy are the icon same no matter how cloudy it is, only what change are the amount of rain. Anyhow, p.cloudy and m.cloudy will have same icon anyway because we don't have own icons for them and therefore will partly cloudy with bigger cloud fit best for them from what i see, at least how it is now. For detailed (plaintext) forecast are surely something to be done in the convertor from Ken's NOAA-iconname to 3in1-iconname.

Will have a slightly fixed set of icons for 3in1 where fixed ex. the big sun’s/moons from some of the “homemade” icons, they now fit all together in size.

Henkka

Henkka as you know if you received my email days ago, I send you also an expansions of Martin (Hebrides Weather)
icon set that includes all the cases that you describe for rain and clouds (only two for thunder)
May you can use that set…

We never will distributes our mod package on forum or anywhere because the original script are from you and you are the only and unique php guru :o
so as I say if you want I can send you the overall package to take a look on wxall.php and wxallsettings modding related to improve the analisys of plaintext.txt and get some inspiration for wxsim3in1 enhancements. send me a private where i can email the files.

Sante

Sante,

Thunder…
It will be determined in a totally different way in now after the intoduce of tscd-value in wret.
Fact are, using any of the raw values only, like Lifted, will never work properly for icon/text because ex. in Lifted we have just 5 numbers, or even only 3 numbers, what actually means thunder. Now with tcsd we have 15 different “thundertypes” what Tom have set.

Icons…
I have now 63 icons in the sprite (was 33 or something in old 3in1-version) with 4 different “partly cloudy”-icons for day and night each, 2 different “partly cloudy + precip”-icons + of cource fully cloudy ones. Haven’t desired if do more yet :lol:
There is one thing to take in act also if add much more icons, the size of the sprite grows too…

Regarding your mod…
Saw one bug in the icon-choosing…cloudy means actually fully cloudy without moon/sun, you had set it 9xx.png what i refered to the one with 2 clouds and sun/moon little showing at the end of your sprite, right?

Henkka

thanks Henkka for the fast check :o

Thunder…
It will be determined in a totally different way in now after the intoduce of tscd-value in wret.

…yes sure the last mod version that running now is a bit evolved from 15 days ago,

I have now 63 icons in the sprite…
thats good, so you don’t need anything about it, we love Martin’s icon 'cause the ‘shadow’ effect

[i]Regarding your mod…
Saw one bug in the icon-choosing…cloudy means actually fully cloudy without moon/sun, you had set it 9xx.png what i refered to the one with 2 clouds and sun/moon little showing at the end of your sprite, right?

“Only one thing, keep attention to m.cloudy/bkn and p.cloudy condition (are not the same) and cloudy is not more cover of m.cloudy, try to match better the ken true icons output in plaintext.”

....cloudy is not more cover of m.cloudy...
This i don't understand what you mean with..cloudy are surely more cloudy than mostly cloudy, right?
try to match better the ken true icons output in plaintext
Checked the plaintext-icon -> 3in1-icon and actually, it use same name internally for the icon for clouds as Ken do (bkn,sct,ovc etc) :) Only what 3in1 also do are checking also rainamount, thunder and adding one more cloudcover-level (pcl) in between bkn and sct and to be sure, it also rechecking the text so it has the "heaviest cloudiness" surely grabbed for the icon :)

New dev-run seems to work quite good with 63 icons :smiley:

henkka

Played a bit with the icon-name vs the text Ken’s parser puts out to figure out a few small issues 3in1/plaintext and i see a mismatch:

Icon: cloudy (tsra.jpg)
Text: Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of rain in the morning, then a chance of rain in the afternoon.
Thunderstorms likely, some possibly severe.

From the icon, what 3in1 now use, are cloudy icon choosed
But based on the text should partly cloudy be choosed, right?
This when we now have 3 different cloudlevels with thunder for the icon

henkka

ovc (or dense overcast)>m cloudy(or bkn)> cloudy > p cloudy (or sct) > fair (or few)

Text: Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of rain in the morning, then a chance of rain in the afternoon.
Thunderstorms likely, some possibly severe.

I our 'Italian s’mod we decide that if there’s thunder in text, the thunder icon have priority (in wxall.php text analyser as you see),
more or less icon routine text analyzer have to check in this order

if preg match str= thunder && str=!ostly cloudy then cloudy icon is “thunder without sun and only cloud”
if preg match str=thunder && str=cloudy then icon is “thunder with sun and clouds”
if preg match str=thunder && str=!artly cloudy then icon is “thunder with sun and less clouds”
…

First test up and running here now; Weatherforecast [DWD,ECMWF,MET Norway] :smiley:

ovc (or dense overcast)>m cloudy(or bkn)> cloudy > p cloudy (or sct) > fair (or few)
I don't agree with that line, i should do like this: cloudy >ovc (or dense overcast)>m cloudy(or bkn)> p cloudy (or sct) > fair (or few) where actaully cloudy and ovc is almsot same thing (8/8 cloudiness)

Henkka

I have to reply for this cloudiness thing :). I can’t understand how cloudy would be sunnier than m.cloudy. Cloudy means cloudy and that’s it :D. Cloudy and OVC is almost the same thing but m.cloudy means that “skies are breaking” and it means that the sun can twinkle between the clouds.

oh my god is my comment :o
snowi thansk & thanks again, Henkka not trust in me :lol:

Henkka check tomorrow looking the sky

cheers
sante

Yeah,
To be clear here is a list i found on theweatherprediction.com:
0/10 clear / sunny
1/10 fair
2/10 to 3/10 mostly sunny
4/10 to 6/10 partly cloudy
7/10 to 8/10 mostly cloudy