Time Zone Offset/Solar Sensor-Max Time of Day tab

Has anyone adjusted their solar sensor time zone setting after DST went into effect?

The solar plot is not correctly plotted after adjusting the offset from 6hrs to 5hrs.

Anyone else?

I don’t think it should be necessary to change the offset for DST, can you post a pic of your settings.

there is an auto day light saving setting

you should not be adjusting if you have that set
hence why you now have it out by 1 hour

…assuming the DST function is working correctly on that PC.

Did the PC time adjust automatically for the DST change or did you have to do it manually?

Everything changed automaticly, but I see this one item in WD jumping out. It’s currently set at +6hrs which was fine during CST.

I have not found an item for using an “auto daylight savings”. Only a “do not auto set”.

I have not found an item for setting “auto daylight savings”. Anyone know where it is?

I only see the “don’t auto” setting, and 6 is the right number for AL. Do you have a url or capture of the bad solar graph?

Hey Niko,

1. The prob is it’s 150p, clear skies, 20mi vis, unobstructed, 1.5yr old sensor-clean. And I find myself loweing the CLR SKY threshold to 83% to get the clear sky icon.
  2. Graphing is fine.
    During dst, CDT is 5hrs from GMT, not 6. That’s why I’m asking about the 6hr showing currently.

I think 6 hours is OK, that’s the time zone definition. Can you temporarily check the “always show max solar for time of day” box, that will plot the calculated max on the main screen graph which will show if it is calculating based on the correct time, IOW that curve should peak around 13:00, not noon.

(I no longer use the solar % myself, and I’ve run into problem trying to test it, see my other thread :oops: )

The graph lines up and matches calculated with my solar sensor. Zenith was 1249 and graph shows about 1230. That’s about 20-40 w/m2.

I adjusted the %factor to 120% to get wd to show closer to the computed lat/long.
Now I’m showing 985 w/m2 out of computed 1010 w/m2.

OK, so it looks like the time zone thing is working correctly. I guess I’m not really surprised by the result you posted. There’s a history of posts on here from N Hemisphere users showing that the calculated max is too high for us, especially during the “winter” months. Except at higher altitudes and in low humidity conditions (I note yours is about 40%) we just don’t have a clean enough atmosphere to reach those calculated max values.

I think it’s better to assume the sensor is correct and fine tune it some by changing the atmostpheric attenuation number, and/or you can use a lower % for “sunshine” - it’s a non scientific measurement after all.

OK, so I’m a bit thick. Please see the attachment showing my settings – or am I looking in the wrong area? Whatever, the time on the clock is correct, yet the solar graph has not changed to daylight saving time and is out by one hour. The computer is correct, too as is the inside sensor for my WMR200.

Help please. I can’t follow the posts here and can’t see what I’ve done wrong. The annoying thing is that I have not changed any settings here and it didn’t do this last year, I’m sure.

Cheers,

Rick

Where exactly in Australia are you located?

“yet the solar graph has not changed to daylight saving time and is out by one hour” That’s confusing to me, I would have thought you would be changing away from daylight saving at this time of year :?

Thanks for replying Nikko. I’m 80 km SW of Sydney. But it’s working now. Amazing. I changed nothing from what you saw on the attachments???

Cheers,

Rick

Niko,
I started adjusting minutes and %. I think I’m closer to an acceptable level.
Will post after testing a bit.

That is strange, but hey, don’t fight success :wink:

Hi Rick,
Are you saying that if you click the “Plot max solar line now for testing” button that the line plotted is displaced by about 1 hour to the right (ie later than it should be)?
If so, then I see the same thing.
The line plotted by this function ends well after sunset and peaks around 1 hour after the peak of the graph from the solar sensor.
Daylight saving all happened automatically for me.
w0mbat

Can you use time-zone to move it?

I’m still trying to locate where DST is set to Auto in WD.

The only setting I know of is the option to NOT set the tz automatically.