Wdxmlwarning.exe - Multiple occurances [RESOLVED, latest version]

Hi,
I have searched this issue but didn’t really see a resolution for me. I’m running v10.37Q Build 35, I have Windows 7 64-bit OS running an an Acer Revo 3610 Nettop computer with an Atom processer. I have been using this setup since April 2010, almost 1 year 24x7.
I noticed this problem occured at build 33. WD would just stop. I’d look at it and it looked okay but when you tried to select something it just said (not responding). I have WD set to reboot Windows if no data is received for 10 min. WD did not reboot and I think I may know why. I would shut down WD restart and all is well. This happens about every 2-4 days. I have stopped everything else running on the computer. I used to have WeatherLink, Startwatch, VirtualVP, quick virus scan daily, and a backup program. I have stopped them all, just WD running. It went 3 days and I started getting excited. This morning I checked the program like I always do at 05:30 am and it was very sluggish. I decided to open Task Manager and I discovered the multiple instances of wdxmlwarning.exe running (See Warning_1). I stopped all the instances and everything was ok. I came back from my workout at about 08:30, checked Task Manager and it was happening again, (See Warning_2). I killed them again and decided to remove the wdxmlwarning.exe from WD, I just moved it to a new location. I’m thinking these multiple instances are really bogging down my processor and causing WD to stop responding. Does this make sense? As far as I can see I have not lost internet connection at any time that I know of. Can I leave wdxmlwarning.exe off for now until I figure out the problem? I guess I’ll find out. :-). Thanks in advance for any help.
jp

Task Manager 05:30 hours

Task Manager 08:30 hours

I have that same issue. Only it just runs 2. I can not even disable it as when I go to the control panel for that it freezes up.
I can not find it in the ini file to turn it off their. Caused a crash last night on my system.

Seeing this on a friend’s weather computer that I manage. Oddly enough, mine and another are fine though.

T

I think it may have started at build 33. Is anyone using an earlier build and see this?
jp

I saw this happening in build 33 and 35. I move the exe file to a different directory as well after I 10 of these running and I can’t monitor the machine every minute of the day.

I’ll see if it causes any problems. Wondering if there is any data needed to show what is causing this to help debug the problem.

Mike

I’m seeing a similar issue with wdxmlwarning today (build 35). I don’t have any watches or warnings active in my area, but wdxmlwarning.exe seems to stay active on my system for 4 minutes before shutting down. Previously, the program seemd to be active for no more than 10 or 15 seconds even if there were active warnings/advisories. I’m running WD on a windows vista system with 4 gig ram. The issue with wdxmlwarning seems to be a recent change.

I think we’ll have to get Brian involved, it may be an application issue.
jp

Maybe the URL change?

Running build 35 and moving wdxmlwarning.exe to a different directory has not caused my any problems so far. Looking good. I suspect that the URL has changed or the site is down.

Mine seems to be running fine now that I removed the wdxmlwarning file.
jp

I’ve update all my “Advisory” pages to reflect the new URL,
http://discourse.weather-watch.com.msg406509.html#new,
my advisories are working fine now. I still haven’t placed the wdxmlwarning file back in the WD directory, I think I’ll leave it out for now. :smiley:
jp

Wow that is a nasty little bug. My computer fell victim too although it hung strong for quite a while before 20+ wdxmlwarning’s took it down. Haha.

I renamed the file for the time being. Hopefully Brian will be back on soon and get this fixed.

T

Oh No… It is contagious. #-o

My win7 quad core i5 has been running flawlessly for months now. I haven’t touched any settings because everything has been working well. Earlier today 4 instances of Wdxmlwarning.exe were running, so I did a re-boot. Just 15 minutes ago I closed 3 instances of Wdxmlwarning.exe and already 2 more are running. CPU usage is staying at 58% 8O

Also today I noticed that the yesterday.swf stopped uploading on 3/4/11 even though the yesterday.wmv is being created and uploaded. I deleted the old movie and hope it will work tonight.

Yup. Got me too. I’ve had a very stable system (Old IBM Laptop running XP) that has not had a reboot in several months. All of a sudden, the dreaded wdxmlwarning.exe is chewing up 100% of the processor and bring the rest of the system to a slow crawl. I didn’t notice my station hadn’t reported since midnight until I was at work. By the time I got home and re-booted, I’d lost 18 hours of updates.

If I reduce priority on wdxmlwarning to below normal or idle, the system becomes responsive again. Of course, that’s only good for that instance, so when it finishes and restarts, priority is back up to normal and the system again looses responsiveness.

I too will rename until a fix is available.

Yes, I’m having the same problem using build 35 it was very stable until now. I just shut off the program enable switch to make it stop. While I was looking at that page I saw an error message near the bottom saying something like http error 301, I think. I should have written it down but I was still too consumed with trying to figure out how to make it stop. I’m guessing the NWS changed something on their server or is having a problem. What a pain it was to track it down and make it stop. At one point I had about 20 icons of it up and the computer was almost locked up, WD had actually stopped and I had to manually shut it down by taskmanager and restart, then watch it to see what was going on.

Dave

I think I have have something else also. I got up and checked this morning and WD had frozen, stopped updating at 12:03am. I don’t know why it didn’t reboot. I thought I had this problem solved… :frowning:
jp

I had all the same issues. Major crash and all. I ended up just removing the Wdxmlwarning.exe from the main WD folder for now. That solved it. It looks like the Warning program is failing to connect to the NWS. Maybe they changed things and the warning program can not time out if it can not connect. I could not even get to the point of turning it off before it would freeze up. Removing it totally has solved the issues for now.

I removed wdxmlwarning.exe from my wdisplay directory yesterday and I still locked up at 12:03am this morning. I know this is when WD does it’s updates. I’m really puzzeled. I hope to get this resolved by next month because I have to go away for the weekend…
jp

Having the same issue here with build 31, just started today. I’m betting it’s a change NOAA has made.

Brian, help please?

Having the same problem here and was unable to turn off the ‘Auto’ setting because it would freeze… You can turn it off manually in the registry.
Run regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\wdisplayftp.ini\NOAA XML Warning
(yes, it’s an odd registry placement - directly under the root key and not in the software section)

On the right side double-click on ‘Do Auto’ and change the setting from Yes to No. You may want to also change the other ‘Do Auto’
settings (‘Do Auto 5’ etc.) to No. Close regedit and shazam, NOAA warnings is set to Off and won’t run until turned back on.
I’m sure Brian will have a fix soon (I hope).