VirtualVP, WL ip and WD?

HI,

I have a Vantage Vue console set up at work with a WL ip logger.

I run the WL software now and then.

I would like to move from the WL software to just WD, or a combination of the two.

1. Would VVP allow me to run both simultaneously?

2. If so, could i run the VVP software at home, along with WD at home, whilst the WL software runs at work on a different network at work?

Many thanks and cheers for your patience.

Why not give it a try, as I suggested in my PM to you …that way you can at least experiment with it for 30 days before purchasing :wink:

thanks mate, I just didn’t want them to crash each other and start getting tied in knots.

so it should work?

You could almost certainly run both WL and WD at work using VirtVP. As to Q2 and not being a network boffin, I am not so sure about that. If you can get the IP data logger output on your home PC (from an IP address output from the School Network [Routers/Network Firewalls/IP addresses]?) then I would assume that you could setup VirtVP to do similar and be able to run both WD and WL at home.

thanks, just unsure what the drivers are and if I need one for my situation.

Your situation needs to be amplified…ie Please give as much information as possible in your own “Forum Profile”. What Wx Stn, PC and OS …32bit/64bit etc etc…Then it will be a lot easier for all forum members to advise… :wink:

As far as the drivers are concerned, it very much matters whether you wish to emulate additional comports with VirtVP or have additional IP connections which apparently do not need a driver. For the former you will need the comport drivers as shown on this page of the SoftWx downloads page (Free if 32/64bit unsigned {eg for Win XP} but additional cost for 64bit {signed} for Win7?)

The install and config of VirtVP can be found here.

I hope this helps

Although somewhat old, you may wish to read this thread right through (it isn’t too long) as it gives some examples (in screen shots)) of Comport Setup. Subsequent to those postings I am using Virtual console 5 for SoftWX VP Live in the IP settings with no trouble at all. :slight_smile:

Edit: Note that the images shown in the above thread do not have the “Ethernet IP” connectivity option for Downloading the required data into VirtVP…The latest version obviously does.

Just my $0.02 but I’ll be surprised if the school’s network is so open that you can connect to their WLIP from home. I would test that basic connectivity first before spending a lot of time on VVP etc.

That was my thought too, I must admit (see thread entry 3 above) :frowning:

well using WL software at home I can suck data from the ip logger at work.

?

Wow, if you aren’t the network admin, I would say you need a new one 8O

so based on that do I need a driver?

To echo Baggins again, what OS are you using?

windows xp or 2000.

very slow with low memory.

I had to specifically ask for an outbound and inbound port to be opened for the logger at work.

Ah, understood :slight_smile:

Forget 2000, it’s just too old now, for XP see the links in munrobaggins post above, reply #5.

not sure what this but means if I’m honest.

I have

rubbishly slow pc with win2000
Davis vantage vue
weatherlink ip logger
WL software at school
wd at school
wxsim at school

I would like to run WL and wd at at school.

first I would like to see if I can get wd running at home and WL still going at school.

I was hoping to run WL three times at school to download and then ftp data, closing the software down in between.

wd would run all the time.