Which Charts

If you were able to download three charts for weather forecasting which would they be? For various reasons three is the sort of limit I can accomodate. Currently I am using… well let me see what you guys think first.

Thank for the input.

Best wishes

Mike

Surface chart, Jet stream , and local RAOB chart. Those be my choices

Something like these.

As no one else seems to want to contribute here are my current choices. I use the surface chart, the 300mb jet stream analysis and the current satellite view. Clearly you do need more than three but I just wanted to create a little challenge to see how people thought. there is a danger with all that there is on the web that you can get over charted.

Thanks for your thoughts guys

Best wishes

Mike

How about this from HIWAS.

Thanks for that thought. I only wish we had charts like you guys do in the States. Access to such detail over here is very strictly controlled by the Met Office. Rainfall radar is usually a half to an hour out of date, whilst other radar does not even get offered unless large sums of money are paid for it. A lot of my weather charts I actually download from the US or Europe simply because the Met Office will not release such data to the public.

Best wishes

Mike

You could always make your own charts using Digital Atmosphere.

See my charts:
Pressure & Wind Vector
Jetstreams

That’s look intresting, what more than Digital Atmosphere do you use to create those charts?

What are you using as source?

DA downloads the required data, parses it and I have the maps and overlays saved on the WX PC.
It’s all run by scripts that call for the downloads, where to save the data, do the script run and then save the finished maps.
I then have WD upload the maps when it uploads the WXSim forecast data files.

The scripts I use are on the DA forum.

Budgie, I agree. I am trying DA now, just haven’t got time to get my head around the scripts yet. Also looking to buy RAOB, but not certain if it will download UK or European data as there is only US data in the demo.

Best wishes

Mike

I’m sure the RAOB data is only available for the U.S, hence we don’t use it for WXSim.

You can get some of the scritps from the DA Forum, I’ve posted the script I use for all the charts on my site. If you use that script then you’ll have to change a few things like the location of the maps and the overlay files as they are specific to my own setup but the scripting itself will work fine.

DA Scripting Forum. :wink:

Just had a reply from them and it will analyze European data. You can in fact do a little of it with DA in the Soundings section, RAOB just takes it further. there is a Lite version for around

It’s actually not that bad once you figure out what the script is doing.
There are basic commands like “REMOVE” to delete the current map, “LOAD” to load a new map, “download” to download the data.
There’s good instructions and the forum has answers to most questions.